The Student Room Group

Serious Illness & Deferring

Basically i've been undergoing tests over the past 5 months to determine what in the hell is wrong with me and it seems to be zooming in on a form of lymphoma. I'm having an op at the start of may (just in time for exams) to biopsy the lump in my neck and determine once and for all what it is... If it does turn out to be something serious then obviously i won't be able to take my A2 modules and i will not be fit to start uni in september. If i defer for medical reasons will i end up paying the higher fees? And if im not awarded AAA due to missing exams what would the uni do?

Has anybody been in this situation? If so what did the unis say?
Reply 1
Original post by PeaceFreak
Basically i've been undergoing tests over the past 5 months to determine what in the hell is wrong with me and it seems to be zooming in on a form of lymphoma. I'm having an op at the start of may (just in time for exams) to biopsy the lump in my neck and determine once and for all what it is... If it does turn out to be something serious then obviously i won't be able to take my A2 modules and i will not be fit to start uni in september. If i defer for medical reasons will i end up paying the higher fees? And if im not awarded AAA due to missing exams what would the uni do?

Has anybody been in this situation? If so what did the unis say?

I'm sorry your not very well, it must be hard.
With regards to paying the higher fees then yes you will I think.
You might have to retake to get AAA depending on your uni choices and course. They may well be completely understanding and take you anyway but then again they may not.
Maybe contact your university choices and enquire about it?
Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Reply 2
Well, given that the higher fees won't start until next year, nobody has been in that situation.

As for deferring a year, you aren't since you won't meet your conditions, however, I suspect that most universities would accept that it would take you longer to complete your A-Levels because of illness. That, in itself, shouldn't be a problem.

However, you would be paying the tuition fees as they are on the day you enroll in university, not as they were when you applied.

Quick Reply

Latest