The Student Room Group

how competitive is pharmacy?

after snooping around, I saw that kings has 13:1 and manchester has 110 places with 2000 apps.

and what about cardiff and nottingham?

and if anyone else applying/ studying pharmacy, can you post your academic info below:

GCSE's:
A levels:
work experience before applying:
not any old ****er can get in
A friend of mine had an offer for BBB at leads last year he ended up getting CCC and they let him in to fill up spaces.
it's not as comeptitive as med or dentistry but you still need to have the academic ability because it's a heavy course. My sister had qualifications from abroad (not IB or A-levels) and she got an offer from Kingston, Hertfordshire and Birminham and rejected from Reading and Bradford.
Reply 4
Original post by gunner4lyf44
A friend of mine had an offer for BBB at leads last year he ended up getting CCC and they let him in to fill up spaces.

there's a difference between pharmacology and pharmacy :facepalm:
Original post by ilyking
there's a difference between pharmacology and pharmacy :facepalm:

Yes i know, theres also a difference between knowing facts and being able to read things on forums and being an arrogant person thinks they know everything and is cocky yet probably has an iq slight above that of an illiterate primary school child.
Reply 6
Yes i know, theres also a difference between knowing facts and being able to read things on forums and being an arrogant person thinks they know everything and is cocky yet probably has an iq slight above that of an illiterate primary school child.

I don't understand, if you knew before hand why would you say :s-smilie: it can be misleading

and I am sorry if I sound arrogant, I'm just frustrated that I can't find much on pharmacy over the internet. It seems like a really interesting branch of medicine but one rarely looked into
Because im talking about pharmacy not pharmacology ffs.
Applying for Mpharm, at Aston, Keele, Portsmouth, Manchester and Nottingham

GCSE's: 4A*s, 3A's, 2B's, 1C

A levels: Geography (predicted an A*)
Biology (Predicted an A) getting a B realistically
Chemistry (Predicted a B)
Maths (Predicted a B)
Psychology (AS level - c)

work experience before applying: 4 weeks in community
3 weeks in hospital
lots of unrelated ones from before I decided pharmacy.

Even then, I doubt I'll get in.
Reply 9
Original post by hazelsaurus
Applying for Mpharm, at Aston, Keele, Portsmouth, Manchester and Nottingham

GCSE's: 4A*s, 3A's, 2B's, 1C

A levels: Geography (predicted an A*)
Biology (Predicted an A) getting a B realistically
Chemistry (Predicted a B)
Maths (Predicted a B)
Psychology (AS level - c)

work experience before applying: 4 weeks in community
3 weeks in hospital
lots of unrelated ones from before I decided pharmacy.

Even then, I doubt I'll get in.

I'm sure you'll get a place with work experience like that :smile:

if I was predicted:
A*A*Ac in Maths + further maths, Chemistry and AS physics respectively, do you think I stand a healthy chance?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Because im talking about pharmacy not pharmacology ffs.

no no, i looked on UCAS and leeds isn't under B230 MPharm
Original post by ilyking
no no, i looked on UCAS and leeds isn't under B230 MPharm

My mistake it mustve been leicster or some place that does pharmacy, it was deffo for pharmacy and at a place that begins with L
Reply 12
work experience is not essential in some unis, getting the right grade i think is more important.
Original post by ilyking

if I was predicted:
A*A*Ac in Maths + further maths, Chemistry and AS physics respectively, do you think I stand a healthy chance?

thanks :smile: and yeah totally, those grades are really good :smile:
Original post by ilyking

if I was predicted:

Obviously you would stand a chance with those grades.....have you not considered a Maths degree though cos getting predicted an A* in A2 FM is quite a mean feat.
Reply 15
Original post by kbountra
Obviously you would stand a chance with those grades.....have you not considered a Maths degree though cos getting predicted an A* in A2 FM is quite a mean feat.

A* prediction in further maths is ok provided you choose the right modules, and no maths degree is way way too difficult
Original post by ilyking
A* prediction in further maths is ok provided you choose the right modules, and no maths degree is way way too difficult

I think that is the case with everyone- at my school, those doing A2 Physics/looking to study Engineering are taking FM Mechanics modules whilst others are doing Stats. If you can get A*s you would still be in the best position possible for a Maths degree- from my understanding though, there are tonnes of proofs at degree level to get your head around...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending