The Student Room Group

A-Level Subjects to get into Medicine

Need some advice as to what the best 4th subject for A-Levels would be.
I've definitely decided on Biology, Chemistry and Maths but I'm torn between Physics and PE. Would I be at a disadvantage if I chose PE?
I would much rather do PE and I regret not taking it for GCSE but do universities significantly favour the three sciences and maths?

Thanks for your help!

:eek:
Reply 1
Nope, you would not be at a disadvantage.

I personally hate both physics and PE, but you're doing the two essentials (bio and chem) plus an extra academic, so go for it, whatever you want.
Reply 2
Is PE academically rigorous these days?
Reply 3
Should be fine - you have 3 strongly academic and then a fourth.

Original post by Renal

Not afaik.
Reply 4
Need a little advice as to what to take for A-Level. I'm definitely taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths at VI Form but I'm torn between Physics and PE for my fourth option. If I chose PE over Physics would I be at a disadvantage? Do universities significantly favour the three sciences and maths?
I'd much rather take PE as I regret not taking it at GCSE, though I wouldn't mind taking Physics as I realise getting into Medicine is competitive, would universities see taking PE as an 'easy' fourth option, even if I continued it at A2 and so didn't drop a subject, as a lot of people at my school will do at A2?
Thanks for your help!
Reply 6
Original post by popnprim2
Need some advice as to what the best 4th subject for A-Levels would be.
I've definitely decided on Biology, Chemistry and Maths but I'm torn between Physics and PE. Would I be at a disadvantage if I chose PE?
I would much rather do PE and I regret not taking it for GCSE but do universities significantly favour the three sciences and maths?

Thanks for your help!

Is there anything else you could take or would want to take instead of PE?
There are more academic subject you could take if you wanted to apply for medicine.
Reply 7
Those choices should be fine!. PE won't hold you down either. Do a subject you knwo you will enjoy along with the Bio and Chem, there is no point in doing physics just to get in, you have to enjoy the next two years.

Original post by Renal

Well, my friends doing it and they're doing a hell of a lot more physiology in a lot more detail than we are in A2 biology...
Reply 8
Deja ****ing vu!
Reply 9
Original post by doctorryan
Well, my friends doing it and they're doing a hell of a lot more physiology in a lot more detail than we are in A2 biology...
Is that what you think or is that what the schools think?
You might be at a disadvantage against someone with 4 serious subjects at A2 but not against someone with 3. I don't think PE is taken very seriously by admissions tutors or university staff in general. If it's going to be a huge pain I'd rather do well with 3.
Original post by Renal
Is that what you think or is that what the schools think?

they cover the entire cardiovascular system,
we only looked at systole and diastole.
With other subjects such as Chemistry and Biology medical schools will probably favour PE, or another subject that makes you more rounded as a person than entirely sciences.
Anyway, the best way to find out is ask the universities.
On UCAS the medical schools generally tend to look down only on General studies and Critical thinking.
I would actually say you will be disadvantaged, as a lot of medical applicants will have something like 4 science/maths or 3 science/maths and say something like psychology at As level. The increase in competition means Universities only select viable candidates and to make the best of it you should pick subjects that all lead to medicine.
Reply 13
Original post by doctorryan

Um, what? Are you sure you're doing A2 biology? :lolwut: Just scanning back in my head at what we covered: anatomy of the heart, anatomy of the blood vessels, structure and function of the blood vessels, cardiac cycle, cardiovascular disease, physiological control of blood pressure and heart rate. Just from the top of my head.
With other subjects such as Chemistry and Biology medical schools will probably favour PE, or another subject that makes you more rounded as a person than entirely sciences.
Anyway, the best way to find out is ask the universities.
On UCAS the medical schools generally tend to look down only on General studies and Critical thinking.

Original post by Insanity514
I would actually say you will be disadvantaged, as a lot of medical applicants will have something like 4 science/maths or 3 science/maths and say something like psychology at As level. The increase in competition means Universities only select viable candidates and to make the best of it you should pick subjects that all lead to medicine.

Nothing published by any of the medical schools suggest that they have strong preferences beyond their published criteria, which apart from a handful of colleges at Cambridge don't require more than 2 sciences. In the other direction, none state anything more definite than a contrasting subject being "helpful", as far as I'm aware. If they had stronger preferences than this, they'd say so.

You need 3 subjects with more than 60% theoretical content so PE wouldn't count in that respect I should think, but with 3 other subjects you'd be fine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beska
Um, what? Are you sure you're doing A2 biology? :lolwut: Just scanning back in my head at what we covered: anatomy of the heart, anatomy of the blood vessels, structure and function of the blood vessels, cardiac cycle, cardiovascular disease, physiological control of blood pressure and heart rate. Just from the top of my head.

Yep definitely A level biology:tongue:.
We covered some of that but not all of it. (Just scanned my textbook, cause im cool)
Anyway, the point i'm trying to convey is that it isn't as non-academic as we think.
Two people in my year studying Chemistry, Biology and PE both have offers for medicine.
The important two really are chemistry and biology.
Original post by Huw Davies
Nothing published by any of the medical schools suggest that they have strong preferences beyond their published criteria, which apart from a handful of colleges at Cambridge don't require more than 2 sciences. In the other direction, none state anything more definite than a contrasting subject being "helpful", as far as I'm aware. If they had stronger preferences than this, they'd say so.

You need 3 subjects with more than 60% theoretical content so PE wouldn't count in that respect I should think.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Only accepted as a fourth As level. Shows how less PE is respected by top Universities.
Reply 17
Original post by Insanity514
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Only accepted as a fourth As level. Shows how less PE is respected by top Universities.

Only at certain Oxbridge colleges. That is not synonymous with "top universities" - especially not for medicine.
Reply 18
To be honest, PE could help demonstrate how varied your interests are. And all the medical schools I've checked out only ask for 3 A levels, no harm in taking a fourth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending