The Student Room Group

Applied to over 20 jobs in one day- what do you think? do you thinlk?

EDIT: Sorry for the retarded title. My laptop kept freezing and acting strange.

Ive been quite unlucky with jobs recently and I really dont understand why.

Im sure its not because of my CV/Experience/Grades.

Spoiler

Anyway I usually apply to lots per week. Have had a few interviews. Few Phone calls. Ending in rejection And many no-replies.
Today I went crazy and have applied to about 28 jobs .

(Where did I find that many? Ive literally spent all day on my laptop going through all job websites AND all individual stores websites, shoot me)

Basically, do you think I will finally get a job? 28 is a huge number. What do you think my chances are? Are you in a similar situation? Should I just be a prostitute?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ithoughtofthis

Basically, do you think I will finally get a job? 28 is a huge number. What do you think my chances are? Are you in a similar situation? Should I just be a prostitute?

Wow...28..I should imagine you would have a really good chance..at least some interviews! Will be interesting to see how you get on with this...and yes if you don't succeed then prostitution probably is your only chance.
Reply 2
The more jobs you apply for, the higher your chances will be to get one. No brainer.

What can TSRians tell you, Miss?
Original post by Victor-PP
The more jobs you apply for, the higher your chances will be to get one. No brainer.

What can TSRians tell you, Miss?

Moral Support I guess :tongue:

Im literally about to burst, been looking for a job for AGES... I NEED this. /Rant
Reply 4
Are these job applications realistic though? If all twenty of the jobs were within your grasps, an entry level job with a reasonable hourly wage, I'd hope you get some reply. However if you were applying for some graduate level jobs, or for vacancies where they wanted more hours than you can offer, I would be slightly more pessimistic.
Public sector doesn't matter if you have 100000 degrees or just GCSES. A lot of it's random + who you know.
cool i had the same thing applied for like 2 years and couldnt get a job then suddenly went crazy in one week applied to like 200 jobs and got 5 replies back ended up having to choose which job to do which was cool
You're just unlucky, I was looking everywhere for jobs, until I applied for IKEA and somehow got on my first day in just two weeks of applying.

It's possible keep trying. :smile:
Original post by Groat
Are these job applications realistic though? If all twenty of the jobs were within your grasps, an entry level job with a reasonable hourly wage, I'd hope you get some reply. However if you were applying for some graduate level jobs, or for vacancies where they wanted more hours than you can offer, I would be slightly more pessimistic.

They're all jobs that are completely 100% suitable for me and the employer (i.e I meet the criteria and the jobs are all within the hours(20 or less per week) that I am allowed to do by law)
Original post by The Cornerstone
You're just unlucky, I was looking everywhere for jobs, until I applied for IKEA and somehow got on my first day in just two weeks of applying.

It's possible keep trying. :smile:

Thanks thats definitely motivating! :smile:

Lucky you, hope you enjoy your job
Original post by ithoughtofthis
Thanks thats definitely motivating! :smile:

Lucky you, hope you enjoy your job

After two years, I left in november. I enjoyed it and I still have friends that I made there but couldn't manage with my college work.:tongue:
Reply 11
Mate of mine did this, he got 0 offers and 0 interviews.
I applied to a job at a local Co-op that I didn't even want (just said I'd go with a different mate on the way home, so made a CV in a free period) and got an interview the next day, and a job the following Saturday.

It's all about timing I think, most of my mates have decent grades, but some just have been unlucky with handing out CVs
Waste of time. You should spend a good few hours on every job application. If you applied for over 20 in one day you were just carpet bombing.

The chances of getting one are about the same as if a random guy stood on the street and tapped 20 girls on the shoulder and said "hey are you single, do you wanna go out with me?"
Reply 13
A lot of restaurants take on about now with easter coming up...
Reply 14
Tailor your CVs to each job, it will increase your chances of getting a response.
Maybe it's not your grades/CV/etc, but your interview skills? Maybe you should do some mock interviews with somebody who could give you feedback. Like whether you speak too quietly/loudly, avoid eye contact, blurt out things, sit with bad posture... it's hard to notice this stuff about yourself.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Good luck! I just had a similar panic and started trying to apply anywhere and everywhere...
I only found two to apply to (Greggs and McDonalds) but two was enough and I got the job at Greggs!
PS this was only the friday before last... it only took me 10 days to get a job from start to interview to getting it, haha)
Original post by PyriteParrot
Maybe it's not your grades/CV/etc, but your interview skills? Maybe you should do some mock interviews with somebody who could give you feedback. Like whether you speak too quietly/loudly, avoid eye contact, blurt out things, sit with bad posture... it's hard to notice this stuff about yourself.

Thanks that sounds really useful. I'll ask my managers (at the places I do voluntary work) hopefully they'll be able to help out.
Reply 18
My opinion (and people usually don't approve of me sharing it) is that anybody can get a job as long as they use the right techniques.

1) Use your contacts. Know someone who works in a shop? see if there are any vacancies there! I currently work at a Millets and most of the other part-time staff were recruited through people who already worked there!

2) When you apply for jobs, make a CV and cover letter tailored to each and every job. Another experience from Millets is that most people who wandered in with a CV got it pretty much ignored if it was obvious they were applying to everywhere on the street.

3) First impressions count! Make sure you are smart and when you walk into the shop, smile and ask if there are any "Saturday" jobs on offer and if they so no, ask if they could hold onto your CV in case a position opens up. How polite you are leaves a positive image in the mind of the employee and asking them to keep on to your CV means you actually want the job.

4) If a shop has vacancies and you haven't recieved a response in ~7 days, call them up and politely ask what the status is on the application. If they are still deciding, it shows you want the job, and if they have already given the job away, if another one opens up they will think of you.

So yeah, getting a job is easy if you go about it the right way.
Original post by Davott
My opinion (and people usually don't approve of me sharing it) is that anybody can get a job as long as they use the right techniques.
So yeah, getting a job is easy if you go about it the right way.

Thank you so much!
Your opinion has been great, If its always this helpful then people are crazy for not wanting you to share!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending