The Student Room Group

am i shallow/snobby?

I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well depends on the type of carpenter... but tbh as a teacher I won't rank you any higher than the carpenter.

Yours' Sincerely.
Snob :smile:
Reply 2
Well, Yeah.
you're a teacher, you can't be picky with these kind of things.
Reply 4
A teacher is no better than a carpenter.
Reply 5
depends, is that the only thing that puts you off him? wouldnt think its reason enough imo, but everyones diff :dontknow:
Reply 6
Maybe with those preconceptions you so dearly hold, teaching is the wrong career for you?

If you go on to teach in a 'standard' school, your job is to guide students into a profession which will suit them and that they will be happy in. Not everyone will go on to be Doctors, Lawyers and other highly regarded professions.

Just a thought.
Reply 7
Yes! Your a horrible snobby rah girl.
Genuinely made me giggle tehe. The fact you had to ask puts you in the rare bracket of a snob wannabe; someone who has a superior complex for invalid and stupid reasons. megalolz. Get off your high horse. Carpenters are good with their handssss!
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest

Yeah you are. And you say you're "pretty smart"... "im come from a", grammar check, it's supposed to be "I come from a".

Get to know the guy first, you never know. Just because you're smart and training as a teacher doesn't mean you go for the elitists.
I really don't understand what's wrong with a carpenter, and how it could put you off? Free furniture for life!
Reply 11
Ha ha ha!!!

He's a carpenter? Well he's doing much better than you - you've wasted an education to become a teacher! The ultimate failure.

those who can do, those who cant teach.

Had you said you were working in a bank/law firm/medicine or something worth being snobbish abiout thats a different matter.

At least he's doing something productive! You went to a red brick - lol, you could have done a college course at the local adult college to teach kids crap off the national curriculum.

To be honest I wonder why on earth he'd be seen dead with you! Imagine the embarrassment when he tells his mates he's goign out with a public sector blagger...

Real professionals putting in 100 hour weeks wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire let alone go on a date.

Be realistic and date another teacher - you'll never have anything in common with people who work for a living.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
But he could build you a lovely wardrobe you could put into that penthouse apartment you're going to be able to buy on your teacher's salary.
Reply 13
I read in a book once, cannot remember the name but Jesus was a carpenter.
Reply 14

To be honest, I think exactly the same thing and have never been able to understand why educated women would go for a much less educated man! I am not professing my view as a universal truth, but I do believe that finding someone from a similar background and similar intelligence makes the relationship a lot more secure.
Reply 15
Original post by Tyler.
I read in a book once, cannot remember the name but Jesus was a carpenter.

But he was born with this amazing hereditary title, lol
Less educated does not equal less intelligent.

I would understand that you be put off by a guy becuase his job doesnt fit in with your intended lifestyle....
But... to turn down a carpenter because you think it not a worthy proffession... that is shallow!

If its money you want, he might make a fortune.... if its embarrassing to think of having to say hes a carpenter, then he deserves better!

:smile:

But if you dream to be rich and travel the world and he doesnt fit... well, you cant help it if you cant come together :smile: x
What's wrong with carpenters? If it was good enough for jesus, it's good enough for you.
i knw teaching is a well respected job, and i am hoping to be a teacher as well. But one of the qualities a teacher should have is to respect other people. You are judging him coz of his job???? i wonder wat will u be saying when u see a kid underperforming. Seriously dont judge him by his job, judge him by his personality. Even if he a waste collector or a business man or a doctor, none of these jobs makes ur job better or worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending