The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmm, guess so. There are fw world class strikers right now.
Reply 7581
JK.
OP
I'd have RvP as world class as well, tbh. Though that's a pointless debate based purely on what you take world class to mean, so there's no point getting into it.

The stats on Clichy don't surprise me, well they partially do, I thought they'd be somewhat worse than that as he had a ****e start to the season, I guess that's just testament to how much he's picked up his game over the last few months. In2deep - Sagna is one of the best players in that position around, it's hardly surprising that Clichy may seem the easier target, especially based on the experience of both players over the last few years, I really think it's evening out though.
(edited 13 years ago)
How long has Djorou been at Arsenal? He had a blinder vs Barca and for another game or two after that Barca second leg.

Maybe he'll come increasingly into the fold next season and flourish or be another Arshavin type player - consistently blowing hot and cold/consistently inconsistent...
Reply 7583
Original post by In2deep
Visible desire to win: Szczesny, Vermaelen, Wilshere, Nasri, Fabregas, RVP

Puts in the needed performance: Djourou, Sagna, Song, Walcott.

I would put Sagna in the 1st category.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
How long has Djorou been at Arsenal? He had a blinder vs Barca and for another game or two after that Barca second leg.

Maybe he'll come increasingly into the fold next season and flourish or be another Arshavin type player - consistently blowing hot and cold/consistently inconsistent...

About 6 years. Joined us when he was 16, but has had injury after injury. See present.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jit987
I would put Sagna in the 1st category.

This.

I'd think about putting Song there too.
Reply 7586
JK.
OP
Original post by white_haired_wizard

He's been here for 7 years now, had a season on loan at Brum and had another out (last season) after recovering from a knee op. He's not just been good against Barca, his stats are incredible, we concede something like 1 goal every 250mins when he plays compared to something ****e when he doesn't. Look at the Newcastle game if you wanna see just how much of an effect he has, he goes off and we concede 4 goals in less than a half. I don't think we've lost a prem game he's played in for about 30 games or so. When everyone's fit I suspect he and Vermaelen will be the preferred pairing.
Original post by badger-man
This.

I'd think about putting Song there too.

Nah Song never shows anywhere near as much desire.

I think Cesc is one of the most motivated players in the world tho, you may not notice it on tv but he is forever pumping the players/crowd up, such an influence it's unbelievable.
Wenger has this obsession with mental strength. Why doesn't he become the club psychologist with Rafa Benitez installed as the new boss? Guaranteed a good run in the CL then, if not winning the damn thing!?

:cool::colondollar:
Original post by Harry-AA
Nah Song never shows anywhere near as much desire.

I think Cesc is one of the most motivated players in the world tho, you may not notice it on tv but he is forever pumping the players/crowd up, such an influence it's unbelievable.

I think Song can be very committed and passionate at times which I think is a necessary attribute for holding midfielders. He has games where he chases everyone down and is really motivated.

Cesc is definitely the most motivated player at the club. When he takes corners he turns to the crowd and tries to pump up the noise levels. It's the same when he scores. Whenever we get a goal when losing or an equaliser he's always pumping everyone up and is nearly always the first player to grab the ball out of the net and sprint back to the centre spot.
Reply 7590
http://arsenalist.com/

Here’s how Arsenal dropped 19 points this season...

Spoiler

People say United don't deserve to win the league but we're the ones throwing away easy points :rolleyes:
Original post by T.Adams VI
RvP isn't worldclass. Great player though.

You consider Arshavin a world class player, and not Van Persie? I agree we can have different meanings of World Class, mine is simply a top player. Arshavin for the past two years, has not been consistent enough and even despite his stats his overall performances in most matches has left a lot to be desired. But I love his personality and effort (I don't buy he's lazy, just not as fit as the others) and call pull something out the bag. However our two biggest wins these season, and performances (Chelsea and Barcelona) he hasn't started.

Van Persie on the other hand when fit is just class, definitely world class for me. Hypothetically speaking, if he was less injury prone, how many other strikers would be as good for as us as he is? I mean overally play, link up, shooting, movement, creating space. Any striker you'd mention would be world class.

Djourou has been excellent this season. Koscielny is decent too, but alonside Squillaci they are a comedy duo.
Reply 7592

May 1st with Man Utd is the fixture I'm looking at, hopefully fingers crossed he'll be back then if we're still in the title race by then.
Original post by jit987

Aren't the Barca players doing that?

Fair point, but Barca are an exception for many reasons - the most important being that because they usually enjoy 65+% possession, they don't need to chase as much. When they're on the ball, they usually make short passes quickly and off-the-ball movement is minimal. If they get tired they just pass it about further back for a few minutes. Players like Kuyt and Tevez do more work.
Original post by T.Adams VI
In fact Cesc and AA are our only world class players. Nasri also has the potential to be.
Arshavin is not world class, he's good but not work class. RVP when he is on form like last month in particular world class, Cesc just is. Nasri may well be, when he played through the centre earlier in the season we saw the best of him, against England he and Benzema were the stars of the show.

I would count Djourou out for the rest of the season, 1 month until he begins training again, 1-2 weeks before he is ready to play, then he isn't going to want to throw him into a big game right away, I would plan to work with what you have, and if he comes back its a boost
Original post by doggyfizzel
Arshavin is not world class, he's good but not work class. RVP when he is on form like last month in particular world class, Cesc just is. Nasri may well be, when he played through the centre earlier in the season we saw the best of him, against England he and Benzema were the stars of the show.

Agreed completely. Our two world class players are RVP and Cesc. Sagna is one othe best in the world in his position so I guess he could be considered a world-class RB.

I think next season we should depend on the likes of JET and Landsbury as our squad players instead of Denilson and Bendtner. Ramsey will definitely play a bigger role next season.
Reply 7597
We shouldn't buy or promote any new young players for the next season because then again it will take time for them to develop even if they show flashes of brilliance in games.
It's time for us to concentrate on the short-term future, rather than the long term which we have been doing since the last 5 years or so.
(edited 13 years ago)
I wouldn't class Arshavin as world class as much as I admire him. World class IMO also includes consistency at a high level, and Arsh doesn't seem to possess that. But I would include him as someone who is a game changer, and there are not many of them about!

Our world class players IMO are Van Persie (he has EVERYTHING, creative, can score, mentality, fairly good physical attributes, can link up play, can play on the last man, EVERYTHING!), Cesc (nuff said) and Sagna as he is one of the best in the world at RB without a doubt.

We have a few fair people, who, if they perform at the level they have done this season, for 2-3 seasons on the trot, could become world class without a doubt. Those that spring to mind immediately are Song, Wilshere, Nasri and Djorou. Again, the key for them is producing it on a consistent basis as some of there performances this season have been world class. Wilshere v Barca, Djorou v pretty much everyone, Nasri v first half of the season etc. The difference between These guys and sagna van p cesc etc is that those lads have been there and done it in terms of performances (obv not trophies atm though :wink: !
Reply 7599
Lol why are people saying Arshavin is world class but RvP ain't :s-smilie: I don't like the term "worldclass" tbh, it's very subjective. But if I had to say who your world class players are it would deinitely be RvP and Cesc.