The Student Room Group

Which AS levels for medicine???

hey,

i am a Year 11 student and i've pretty much decided want i want to do for my a leves;

Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Geog/English Lit

My fourth option is giving me a lot of greif because i LOVE geography and english lit. and am predicted A* for both. which one is better for medicine??:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bambi_eyes
hey,

i am a Year 11 student and i've pretty much decided want i want to do for my a leves;

My fourth option is giving me a lot of greif because i LOVE geography and english lit. and am predicted A* for both. which one is better for medicine??:confused:

Hey mine is a bit similar to yours. I would just advise English lit as it looks better to uni's compared to Geography and is more looked up to. However if you enjoy and your good at Physics take that as thats the best option :smile:
Both of those look good, however I would advise english literature because it's such a respected subject. Not saying Geography is not (as I've done it myself for A levels) but Uni admission staff always look for a variety of subjects that show you have a wide understanding of a variety of areas... it's not as similar as some but I'm sure you can see some similarities between Geo and Bio!
If you really want to you can always do five subjects but it's not recommendable. I'd say English Literature :smile:
Reply 3
Unless you want to apply to Cambridge, or particularly love maths, do Bio, Chem, English and Geog.
Reply 4
Either!
You have Biology and Chemistry, what do the others matter?! As long as it's not interpretive dance and drama that you take, you're absolutely fine.

within reason, obviously. Don't take the p*ss. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Do both for AS and see how it goes? You can always drop the one you are enjoying less.
If you're applying to Cambridge: Art, sociology, G&P and media studies should fill their criteria.

Everywhere else: feel free to drop art/G&P for psychology/child studies respectively.
Reply 8
If you can, do all five for a few weeks and if it's too hard, drop whichever one you'll have found you hate/can't do/is too much work by then. It's what I did, and it meant I had no regrets about not doing the subject I dropped without knowing what it was actually like/whether I would enjoy it.
Reply 9
hey,

My friend's choosing the same. Just Physics instead of Biology though btw, great subject choices! :smile: I'm in year 11 too and choosing Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Latin, maths and further maths lol. Can't decide between Biology or Latin :rolleyes:
Reply 10
hey,

My advice is do Chemistry, Biology and then it doesn't matter what else so much. I'd say eng lit is better but I really don't think medical schools will look at that. Make sure you get work experience though! otherwise they won't consider your application really.
Reply 11
thanks a lot everyone!

i think i'll take all 5 subjects for the first few weeks and then drop the one i enjoy least

thnx again
Reply 12
Why not do all five for the whole time - it is perfectly doable and looks a lot better on your UCAS. Failing that, it really does come down to what you prefer, so your current plan is fine. Have you considered Further Maths or Physics?
Reply 13
Original post by tory88
Why not do all five for the whole time - it is perfectly doable and looks a lot better on your UCAS. Failing that, it really does come down to what you prefer, so your current plan is fine. Have you considered Further Maths or Physics?

Just get out.
Reply 14
Definitely do maths , i dont beleive its not just as important as biology and chemistry which are paramount , physics is preferable but either of your other two subjects im sure would be fine. Just be mindfull thats a level is a hell of a lot different to gsce. in my experience As level geography didnt even compare to gcse which lead to me dropping it but its quite a personal decision , try and find out more about both courses .. eg coursework demands but also content :smile:
Original post by 01010000 01001010
If you're applying to Cambridge: Art, sociology, G&P and media studies should fill their criteria.

Everywhere else: feel free to drop art/G&P for psychology/child studies respectively.

"BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science (Predicted Distinctions)"

Please don't tell me you're seriously trying to discriminate against subjects...
Original post by chloemo14
Unless you want to apply to Cambridge, or particularly love maths, do Bio, Chem, English and Geog.

Why? :s-smilie:

Maths is no worse than English or Geography.
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
"BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science (Predicted Distinctions)"

Please don't tell me you're seriously trying to discriminate against subjects...

Hehe, I know right! (Except for the fact that I have 95+ UMS in C1-C3 and M1 along with 87+ UMS in HB1-HB3)

Doing a BTEC was a bad idea, but it's very much equivalent to A-Levels, in fact the work load is much more stressful if you have poor time management skills. Try telling me I am wrong, but you can't, because I am the one doing 2 A-Levels and a BTEC that's equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
Reply 18
Original post by F_shakeey
I agree, especially for medicine it is actually neccesary and you dont have a chance of getting in without an AS and A2 in maths.

To echo Beska's post above. Get out. Now. Or I will throw something at you.
Reply 19
Original post by Scrubby
To echo Beska's post above. Get out. Now. Or I will throw something at you.

:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending