The Student Room Group

I'm a compulsive lier

I was taught to lie from a very young age. There were some experiences where my mother told me to lie for her multiple times as a child.

I believe this is why I have this compulsion to lie about everything.

You have to understand that I've become very good at deception/cheating that it is second nature to me now. And I even see it as a kind of challenge that I just cannot refuse.

Here is what I lie about:

1. UCAS - I lied about my grades, past education history. My personal statement was completely fabricated. I've had interviews, but I'm very good at pretending (as I've been lying/ leading double lives for so long).
Guess what, UCAS tries to scare you that they can find out the real information, but they cannot. If they had easy access to such information, they wouldn't need us to fill it in anyway.

2. Lie to my friends - I'm ashamed of my background so I lie and make people think I come from a privileged family. They would never suspect me because I'm not obvious and I've become good at it.

3. My voice - My accent is faked. I'm from an area that has a regional accent but I completely turn it off and put on a fake accent constantly. Again, it has become second nature (of course I cannot use it when around my family).

4. Exams - I cheat in almost all my exams. I averaged 90% in AS levels without cheating, but I just could not resist the challenge of cheating. So I put together many schemes to cheat in my A2's. I was never found out. You would not believe how complex some of these cheating schemes were...

5. Extra time in exams - I lie about having some learning difficulties. This way I can get extra time in exams and other such perks. I had to lie and fake to my doctor in order to get this. But this was quite simple to do.

6. General lies - I even lie when there is no need to. Recently my friend asked me what my UMS score was for a subject. In reality it was 92/100 but I told her that it was 93/100. I'm beginning to think this is a real problem. I can't help but just lie....!?

I don't "cheat" on boyfriends/girlfriends etc though. It is a line that I'd never cross.

The point of this post is I don't know if I should carry on with this lying behaviour. It has done me well, in the sense that I have offers from some of the top universities and I'm very good at not being found out.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are lying right now aren't you?
Reply 2
I think you don't have a moral compass due to how lying was treated when you were a child, so you can't see how wrong what you are doing now really is. The truth will always out and your lies will catch up with you in the end, whether you want to believe this or not. It's important to nip this problem in the bud before you begin to lie to potential employers, the result of which could end up in you losing your job or not being offered one at all. I think you should seek professional help to aid you, you need to seriously reprogramme your way of thinking.

People seriously believe you have learning disorders yet you get 90%+ in exams?
And doctors are under no obligation to give any notes out if they don't feel its deemed suitable, and I really doubt you can make such an intricate lie without them seeing through it tbh.

/Thread
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Cool.
Reply 5
Having read the above, that's some :awesome: stuff, share your exam cheating techniques, please? Don’t lie about not remembering. :colonhash:
Just avoid writing a lie
Bad spelling compulsion, too, I take it?
I don't believe you.
Reply 9
Reply 10
Watch Catch Me If You Can - get involved in the type of things he does.
Reply 11
Original post by EcstaticMuse
Bad spelling compulsion, too, I take it?

Does it change your reaction to the story?
Reply 12
I think you should get someone who really cares about you to wish you wouldn't lie for a day.

Also, meet my mother - I think you two will have a lot in common, and to talk about - even if they are just lies.

Edit: Damn you Chrislpp! *shakes fist*
Original post by Anonymous
I was taught to lie from a very young age. There were some experiences where my mother told me to lie for her multiple times as a child.

I believe this is why I have this compulsion to lie about everything.

You have to understand that I've become very good at deception/cheating that it is second nature to me now. And I even see it as a kind of challenge that I just cannot refuse.

Here is what I lie about:

1. UCAS - I lied about my grades, past education history. My personal statement was completely fabricated. I've had interviews, but I'm very good at pretending (as I've been lying/ leading double lives for so long).
Guess what, UCAS tries to scare you that they can find out the real information, but they cannot. If they had easy access to such information, they wouldn't need us to fill it in anyway.

2. Lie to my friends - I'm ashamed of my background so I lie and make people think I come from a privileged family. They would never suspect me because I'm not obvious and I've become good at it.

3. My voice - My accent is faked. I'm from an area that has a regional accent but I completely turn it off and put on a fake accent constantly. Again, it has become second nature (of course I cannot use it when around my family).

4. Exams - I cheat in almost all my exams. I averaged 90% in AS levels without cheating, but I just could not resist the challenge of cheating. So I put together many schemes to cheat in my A2's. I was never found out. You would not believe how complex some of these cheating schemes were...

5. Extra time in exams - I lie about having some learning difficulties. This way I can get extra time in exams and other such perks. I had to lie and fake to my doctor in order to get this. But this was quite simple to do.

6. General lies - I even lie when there is no need to. Recently my friend asked me what my UMS score was for a subject. In reality it was 92/100 but I told her that it was 93/100. I'm beginning to think this is a real problem. I can't help but just lie....!?

I don't "cheat" on boyfriends/girlfriends etc though. It is a line that I'd never cross.

The point of this post is I don't know if I should carry on with this lying behaviour. It has done me well, in the sense that I have offers from some of the top universities and I'm very good at not being found out.

What do you think?

You are a terrible person :frown: what's wrong with you? Some people actually are from priveliged backgrounds, and you're not exactly being fair to us:mad:
Original post by in_vogue
Does it change your reaction to the story?

Nah, I think the OP, of course (if this entire post isn't itself a lie), should try to stop these habits as they're extremely detrimental in life but the grammar nazi in me found the spelling to be the real issue at hand. :tongue:
Tbh, you sound like a bit of a penis.

Not to mention denying somebody who has actually put the effort in a university place. Not cool.
I cant tell whether you're lying now, to be honest :mmm:
Reply 17
Original post by Right Guard 3.D
People seriously believe you have learning disorders yet you get 90%+ in exams?

I have autism and yet I get 90%+ in exams; I'm also allowed special conditions for exams (my own little room to take them in, and rest breaks if I get stressed) because of my condition. If the OP really is good at lying, they might have pretended to have a disability like Asperger's, which would actually support their high test scores.
Reply 18
Look at the bright side, you could have been a compulsive masturbator.

Quick Reply