The Student Room Group

am i shallow/snobby?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
yes, you do sound up your own ass tbqh.
Reply 41
Original post by Milky Milk
From the sounds of it, you don't really have the criteria of someone who is snobby because they come from a prestigious background and lifestyle. You seem fairly average.

I would say you are are being snobby however, but who cares?

lolwut?
Reply 42
Well, he has a better earning potential than you. I see that a teacher is much more academical, but if you want someone with the same interests as you, don't you see that pretty easily? I suppose you've met this guy before he asked you out. If you like him, you say yes, if no, you say no.
Besides, if you were surprised by the fact that he is a carpenter, then a) he is not a 'typical' carpenter is style, language and behavior, or b) you don't know people types as well as you think, and you may be very much the same type as him, although you consider yourself more academical.

Do as you please, we all have our stereotypes to deal with, and they affect us whether we notice or not.
Reply 43
Original post by *Lollo*
Well, he has a better earning potential than you. .

Just looked at the average salaries for both and teacher earns more. What about headteachers? Many of them are around 100k, then you have heads of department etc..
Reply 44
Well done for creating this thread for bringing out everyone's overwhelming snobbery about the teaching profession.

How ironic... and frankly disappointing to see such obnoxious posts which are far worse than the thread starter's post :s-smilie:
Reply 45
woah didn't expect this to turn into a debate about the teaching profession. The cliche comments such as 'teachers have long holidays' 'those who cant, teach' etc are not worth a response
i'm going to give him chance, he seems nice..if it don't work out then no big deal!
i think i was being shallow, but saying that people with similar educational backgrounds do tend to have more successful relationships and thats a fact but im young and this is the time to be dating different types of people before I settle down later
Yes. You are snob.

Change your career path, I dont want my kid to be taugh by someone who looked down on people based on their jobs.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest

:eek:at the end of the day that guy is making a living and who do you think you are? you can't just automatically judge a person through his job to see whether he is worthy or not. its silly and appauling, people who look down on people who do not have 'academic' jobs or qualifications are just......disgusting.
Reply 48
Original post by street.lovin'
Yes. You are snob.

Change your career path, I dont want my kid to be taugh by someone who looked down on people based on their jobs.

This.

In fact, I know a teacher that's a bitch like that. Everyone hates her.
Reply 49
I'm just disappointed by how few carpenter jokes there are on this thread. Come on guys. Wood, a good carpenter never wastes wood, good with his hands, tools etc. This is good material.
Reply 50
the carpenter could drill you with his big tool when he gets wood. Also he could nail you. er... You could do with a good hammering. er... that's it.
Reply 51
Original post by street.lovin'
Yes. You are snob.

no im ok thanks, im working in a challenging school in inner city London, very successfully might i add. I'm not 'looking down on him' not once did i say i was better than him, I just think people who are similar tend to be more compatible, whether its in terms of educational background, upbringing, outlook on life etc
Reply 52
woah didn't expect this to turn into a debate about the teaching profession. The cliche comments such as 'teachers have long holidays' 'those who cant, teach' etc are not worth a response
i'm going to give him chance, he seems nice..if it don't work out then no big deal!
i think i was being shallow, but saying that people with similar educational backgrounds do tend to have more successful relationships and thats a fact but im young and this is the time to be dating different types of people before I settle down later

How can you claim to be snobby when you use language like a character from Eastenders!! :tongue: I bet your background isn't as good as you imagine it to be :rolleyes:
I'm pretty smart, really good grades, went to a redbrick uni and training as a teacher, im come from a background of professionals...i was meant to be going on a date with a guy but found out hes a carpenter..put me off? am i a horrible shallow person, be honest

Jesus was a carpenter.....

Don't underestimate them, all carpenters can create miracles.

Just be carefull he don't turn ALL your water to wine... he might take advantage of you when your Blitzed out your mind.
Reply 54
Original post by Milky_jo
How can you claim to be snobby when you use language like a character from Eastenders!! :tongue: I bet your background isn't as good as you imagine it to be :rolleyes:

i dont know why everyone gets funny about grammar on tsr , im aware my grammer is pretty appalling on here but thats because its quicker without it and i am not in a professional environment so im not bothered!
Reply 55

For all you know he could walk on water :wink:
Original post by PendulumBoB
Less educated does not equal less intelligent.

This!

OP, if you genuinely are put off because you feel there's just nothing in common, or a lack of shared interests, then why not try getting to know him first? If it's snobbiness and you feel like you're better than him, don't waste his time. I think its overly judgmental to choose your partner by their profession if you don't know them - you obviously liked the guy when he asked you out!
Reply 57
i dont know why everyone gets funny about grammar on tsr , im aware my grammer is pretty appalling on here but thats because its quicker without it and i am not in a professional environment so im not bothered!

Still. Being from a family of professionals does not give you a snobby background. Librarians are professionals!! As for redbrick, that doesn't mean anythingggg. You are both in a big fluid middle class so forget about him not being good enough. The difference between the two of you probably isn't as much as it seems :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Mouldywart
Teachers are some of the most under-appreciated people in society. Our entire way of life is dependant on education - society needs people to educate the young into productive members of society. I know a great number of teachers and many of them are, without a doubt, brilliant, hard working people.

Now I do not think much of your generalisations and assumptions; you have clearly someone who has preconceived notions about people because of their occupation and that makes you more of a snob than the thread starter.

What a load of complete garbage - teachers are glorified child minders milking the public sector gravy train.

Kids do well based on their ability and the parents means, nothign to do with the donut at the front of the class regurgitating the dumbed down to death national curriculum.

My sister is a maths teacher and is widely regarded by everyone in the family as a complete failure - especially after they spent the money on sending her to Imperial - she failed to get on the grad schemes for proper jobs and now teaches - she's also engaged to a fat geography teacher.
It sounds like you think that a Carpentry as a profession is inferior, or low wage/class. Before you even got to know the person, already you have judged them, and built up an image of them in your mind. This is wrong. You should never judge people before you get to know them.

For all you know, he could be perfect for you. You can't tell much about a person, solely on what they do for a living.

To be honest, I think he's lucky to not be with such a person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending