The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

what if you cannot find a placement?

Just checked theres like 5 jobs in birmingham and like 500 students applying for jobs? just wondering what happens? thanks.
Reply 1
I guess the uni would try and arrange something for you if it's a requirement of your course.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by hannah_dru
I guess the uni would try and arrange something for you if it's a requirement of your course.

okies dokes thanks for that i just have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much work to do i barely get the time to look :frown: just looked today after so long barely anything still got 6 weeks of term left too!
Reply 3
Original post by Tony_Soprano1
okies dokes thanks for that i just have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much work to do i barely get the time to look :frown: just looked today after so long barely anything still got 6 weeks of term left too!

The second years in my flat have said the same thing. Some of them have tried to set whole days to look for one. Hope you find one :smile: This time of year is mental.
Reply 4
I'd advise to get cracking, it's awful to not know what's going to happen to you

...like missing the last train
Reply 5
5?! Where are you looking for them?! There's got to be more than that.
Original post by gillipies
5?! Where are you looking for them?! There's got to be more than that.

yep 5 on the placement website aston, literally 5 for birmingham before i checked start of year 12 for birmingham and like 30 for london now 5 for bham and like 15 for london!! None of my friends have a placement thats a good 20 people we only know of one person the "myth" haha story goes like this "you found a placement" "erm not yet" " you know anyone whose found one" " yeah theres this one guy a friend of a friend whose found one" *walks away*
Reply 7
How about looking further than just the Aston placement website? Google companies, look on their websites, try sending speculative letters and cvs etc etc....

I know it's a heck of a lot of work and effort when you really don't have the time (been there, done that, got the tshirt and now doing it all again for grad jobs!) but just try and do a bit here and there, especially if you're doing speculative letters it doesn't take too much time once you have the basic template to just tweak it here and there to personalise it and you can send it out to loads of places.
(edited 13 years ago)
How about looking further than just the Aston placement website? Google companies, look on their websites, try sending speculative letters and cvs etc etc....

I know it's a heck of a lot of work and effort when you really don't have the time (been there, done that, got the tshirt and now doing it all again for grad jobs!) but just try and do a bit here and there, especially if you're doing speculative letters it doesn't take too much time once you have the basic template to just tweak it here and there to personalise it and you can send it out to loads of places.

many many thanks for that, thats exactly what im going to do but i thought a university as established as aston university would show better iniative especially when they have a dedicated placement department. However just finished off a 4000 word essay today read 2 books! and a presentation im just poop'd! been awake since 6 il have to dedicate whole days doing my own search i dont want to risk my 2:1 for it!! but here goes! ill let you know how it goes but 3 weeks ago a friend found out only 40 people have found a job in the year!! i run a business from home so if i move more than 3 hours away and dont get paid more than 16k its not beneficial to me whatsoever!!
Just checked theres like 5 jobs in birmingham and like 500 students applying for jobs? just wondering what happens? thanks.

My boyfriend did computer science and landed a placement only to be told the week before he was due to start that the company could no longer fund it. He had the option of going straight into final year or taking a year out, but I don't know about other courses.
Original post by Lil Lee Lee
My boyfriend did computer science and landed a placement only to be told the week before he was due to start that the company could no longer fund it. He had the option of going straight into final year or taking a year out, but I don't know about other courses.

its definately not mandatory for computer science or maths etc thanks neway.
many many thanks for that, thats exactly what im going to do but i thought a university as established as aston university would show better iniative especially when they have a dedicated placement department.

Never rely on the university for anything.
many many thanks for that, thats exactly what im going to do but i thought a university as established as aston university would show better iniative especially when they have a dedicated placement department. However just finished off a 4000 word essay today read 2 books! and a presentation im just poop'd! been awake since 6 il have to dedicate whole days doing my own search i dont want to risk my 2:1 for it!! but here goes! ill let you know how it goes but 3 weeks ago a friend found out only 40 people have found a job in the year!! i run a business from home so if i move more than 3 hours away and dont get paid more than 16k its not beneficial to me whatsoever!!

That's ok, good luck with it! :smile:

I had kinda the same problem as you - I couldn't move away from Birmingham so I was restricted to looking for placements in the West Midlands, and it does make it so much more difficult - uni didn't help me either, one tiny little bit (apart from the careers centre, I did find them very helpful looking at my cv etc).

My view on the whole thing is that there are so many people who will be applying for the obvious (mainly advertised) jobs, especially via the uni intranet that you are better off and more likely to get somewhere if you go for the non-obvious routes (such as speculative letters).

Fingers crossed for you!

I had kinda the same problem as you - I couldn't move away from Birmingham so I was restricted to looking for placements in the West Midlands, and it does make it so much more difficult - uni didn't help me either, one tiny little bit (apart from the careers centre, I did find them very helpful looking at my cv etc).

My view on the whole thing is that there are so many people who will be applying for the obvious (mainly advertised) jobs, especially via the uni intranet that you are better off and more likely to get somewhere if you go for the non-obvious routes (such as speculative letters).

Fingers crossed for you!

I have to agree with you on that one, i shall go down the speculative route :smile: many thanks! I still do love birmingham but its got its limits lol

Fingers crossed for you!

Just wondering if you know any secific companies i should target i already have a few in mind but just in case thanks :smile:
It depends what you're looking for. I was tatgeting pr agencies.

Doing your own research is also part of the experience.
Original post by raspberrybubbles
Doing your own research is also part of the experience.

thats great

Quick Reply

Latest