The Student Room Group

am i shallow/snobby?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by davidr123
What a load of complete garbage - teachers are glorified child minders milking the public sector gravy train.

Kids do well based on their ability and the parents means, nothign to do with the donut at the front of the class regurgitating the dumbed down to death national curriculum.

My sister is a maths teacher and is widely regarded by everyone in the family as a complete failure - especially after they spent the money on sending her to Imperial - she failed to get on the grad schemes for proper jobs and now teaches - she's also engaged to a fat geography teacher.

hehe.. if that is true she should just admit that she is now at the level of the carpenter and her background (whatever it is) doesn't matter
Reply 61
Original post by Tyler.
I read in a book once, cannot remember the name but Jesus was a carpenter.

He was also Jewish and homosexual.
Um, no, of course not. You've got standards, like all other people; yours being education and job status. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I'll only date people who are educated and ambitious, otherwise I'm not too interested.

Yours sincerely,

Other Realist.
Reply 63
Carpenter? Score.

My granddad's a carpenter; he made my aunt seven doors when she was redoing her house! Don't knock it, that's an extremely practical skill in a partner.
Reply 64
Original post by lesbionic
He was also Jewish and homosexual.

If he was Jewish, he couldn't have been a homosexual.
Reply 65
Original post by KJane
Carpenter? Score.

My granddad's a carpenter; he made my aunt seven doors when she was redoing her house! Don't knock it, that's an extremely practical skill in a partner.

That's a lifetime saving of what? A few thousand? :tongue:
Reply 66
Depends on how much DIY he can do, but yeah, it adds up!
Reply 67
Original post by KJane
If he was Jewish, he couldn't have been a homosexual.

No darling, if he was homosexual, he couldn't be Jewish... being the latter would cramp his style in G-A-Y Bethlehem.
at least he's got a job. You haven't got a job and teaching is a bit of a crap job as everyone knows.
Reply 69
Original post by Horsedobbin
at least he's got a job. You haven't got a job and teaching is a bit of a crap job as everyone knows.

It pays more than carpentry it seems. But i agree, teaching is not a job that lets you be picky about your partners job! :tongue:
Original post by LukeeGRANT
Um, no, of course not. You've got standards, like all other people; yours being education and job status. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I'll only date people who are educated and ambitious, otherwise I'm not too interested.

Yours sincerely,

Other Realist.

So the person who designed and made this isn't educated or ambitious?

Reply 71
Original post by pippa90

I HIGHLY doubt that her bit of rough is that artistic. He is most likely a standard joiner who knows how to handle his wood :wink:
Original post by Milky_jo
I HIGHLY doubt that her bit of rough is that artistic. He is most likely a standard joiner who knows how to handle his wood :wink:

You don't know that though :smile: Anyway the guy I quoted was pretty much saying that the whole profession of carpentry is uneducated and unambitious.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 73
What a load of complete garbage - teachers are glorified child minders milking the public sector gravy train.

Kids do well based on their ability and the parents means, nothign to do with the donut at the front of the class regurgitating the dumbed down to death national curriculum.

My sister is a maths teacher and is widely regarded by everyone in the family as a complete failure - especially after they spent the money on sending her to Imperial - she failed to get on the grad schemes for proper jobs and now teaches - she's also engaged to a fat geography teacher.

How utterly sad.
Original post by pippa90

I wouldn't know, I'm not his biographer, sadly :rolleyes:
Original post by LukeeGRANT
I wouldn't know, I'm not his biographer, sadly :rolleyes:

Neither am I, but you can see that he is obviously very ambitious (has done many other art, design and architecture based things) and must have been educated to a certain extent, formal or informal.

So are your opinions of teachers based on your personal experiences with your sister? Perhaps you need to be less judgemental of those in the teaching profession and remember that it is very hard for anyone to do well in life without a decent education.

The idea that a child's success is entirely down to their own ability and parents means is, to be frank, bull****. I speak as a student myself when I say that the teachers aptitude pretty much makes or breaks the success of a class. I have been taught by good teachers who can explain, motivate and supply useful feedback that very obviously improve the grades of candidates and I have been taught by god awful teachers who do none of the above things. This has resulted in a class that should be getting mostly Bs and As getting mostly Ds and Cs. What you are saying certainly doesn't apply to my school nor any school nearby I have knowledge of so stop acting like you can tar all teachers with the same brush.

And I would also like you to acknowledge your hypocrisy in criticising someone else of being a snob for looking down on someone because of their profession and then proceeding to do exactly that yourself.
Reply 77
You think you're too good for jesus? snob..
Original post by ForKicks
To be honest, I think exactly the same thing and have never been able to understand why educated women would go for a much less educated man! I am not professing my view as a universal truth, but I do believe that finding someone from a similar background and similar intelligence makes the relationship a lot more secure.

Totally agree :yep:

It's like a woman going on to become a lawyer, say, and to date a bin-man; she'd literally be paying for all his things et al, simply because she'd want the finer and better things in life (owing to her salary, and perhaps taste, too) and he, because of his profession, wouldn't be able to afford it. Why would you carry unnecessary weight, when you can find a man who can pitch into the money even more so.

It's not being an Elitist, or a snob, it's common sense :rolleyes:
Reply 79
My cousin trained as a carpenter, he now works at Heathrow airport on a full time basis for a construction firm where he manages a team who constantly refurbish the terminals and gets all sorts of perks too.

It is snobbish of you, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending