The Student Room Group

Essex Uni ranked 46th in the times table ...

Want to charge the full 9 Grand !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12823432

Lol @ the Government claiming that all Uni's would not go for the full fee .... they knew only too well that this would happen ...

Lib. Dem., bunch of traitorous, ineffective morons .... my hate for Clegg knows no bounds.

Disgraceful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is the inevitability of the government trying to somehow have half a free market, particularly when what you can buy isn't based solely on how much money you have - it is quite easy for everyone just to charge the full price.
Reply 2
Don't vote Conservative THEN complain.

Lib Dem voters have a right to complain: how were they to know Clegg was representing himself ll along, and not his party?

More on-topic: Why would anyone go to Essex uni? Ok, I don't know which unis are 'good' unis, but that sure seems a waste of time and money.
is it after 9 x 4 = 36?
Stopping immigration is more important than University fees.

Hail to the Conservatives
Why stated the ranking?
So much fail.

The ranking of the university is irrelevant for a start, and most universities will end up charging 9000 pound. A system where the "better" universities charged more than the "worse" would serve only to discourage poorer students from applying - while conservatives couldn't care less decent people could :h:
Original post by nonotrly
Don't vote Conservative THEN complain.

Lib Dem voters have a right to complain: how were they to know Clegg was representing himself ll along, and not his party?

More on-topic: Why would anyone go to Essex uni? Ok, I don't know which unis are 'good' unis, but that sure seems a waste of time and money.

:facepalm:
Reply 8
Ironic that Essex uni announces these plans to charge £9k on the day that their own teachers are on strike because their pensions are being cut. Essex university is a joke, it exploits its staff and students and just sees them as a cash cow, it's over crowded with foreign students whilst they spend a huge part of their budget on unnecessary aesthetics like 32 inch samsung plasma screens to tell you what's in the newsletter!
Reply 9
Original post by garethDT
Ironic that Essex uni announces these plans to charge £9k on the day that their own teachers are on strike because their pensions are being cut. Essex university is a joke, it exploits its staff and students and just sees them as a cash cow, it's over crowded with foreign students whilst they spend a huge part of their budget on unnecessary aesthetics like 32 inch samsung plasma screens to tell you what's in the newsletter!

Hey, hey calm down. 32" Samsung Plasma screens are never unnecessary.
Reply 10
Original post by Emerald City
Stopping immigration is more important than University fees.

Hail to the Conservatives

As far as fails go, this is a pretty impressive one!
Essex uni also has many poorer students going there compared to other unis, which makes this a bit ****ing hypocritical to me.

Hypocritical to charge the full fees that is..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by street.lovin'
:facepalm:

So Essex uni is regarded as one of the better unis then?

Is it like Oxford where the uni is highly thought of, so the city/county depends entirely on it and the rest goes to ****, like (citing real examples) a hospital which kills children; secondary schools which celebrate when, for the first time, HALF of their students get 5 A*-C GCSEs; a shopping centre which consists of one floor of about 15 shops; and chavs making up 95% of the under-40 populace?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nonotrly
So Essex uni is regarded as one of the better unis then?

Is it like Oxford where the uni is highly thought of, so the city/county depends entirely on it and the rest goes to ****, like (citing real examples) a hospital which kills children; secondary schools which celebrate when, for the first time, HALF of their students get 5 A*-C GCSEs; a shopping centre which consists of one floor of about 15 shops; and chavs making up 95% of the under-40 populace?

How do those factors relate to University of Essex?
(Especially, the nature of the shopping centre :s-smilie:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by street.lovin'
How do those factors relate to University of Essex?
(Especially, the nature of the shopping centre :s-smilie:)

The bit where I said "so the city/county depends entirely on [the uni]".
Reply 15
Original post by Reflexive
Essex uni also has many poorer students going there compared to other unis, which makes this a bit ****ing hypocritical to me.

They make their money out of the foreign students. You only have to look around the campus to see that every other person is chinese, and they get campus accommodation guaranteed for every year of their degree. It's a joke.
Reply 16
Original post by garethDT
They make their money out of the foreign students.

Doesn't every university in the UK?

This is quite interesting. LSE tops it - 68% of all students there are international.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/about/statistics_he.php#table7
Reply 17
Original post by Jez RR

This is quite interesting. LSE tops it - 68% of all students there are international.

Yes but Essex has a much higher percentage of foreign students than most universities and they are given preferential treatment. You also have to question the legitimacy of their degrees when many of them clearly have a poor level of English yet are still graduating with good grades.
Reply 18

Not a very good table for illustrating the point as Essex being a much smaller uni won't appear in that table. If it was a table based on % of institution then i'm sure Essex would rank very highly.
Reply 19
Original post by lecsiy
Not a very good table for illustrating the point as Essex being a much smaller uni won't appear in that table. If it was a table based on % of institution then i'm sure Essex would rank very highly.

Better table here. It's around 25% international students. About on a par with RHUL, Bath, St Andrews and UCL. And some way below LSE (44%), Imperial (35%) and Lampeter (37%).

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6802

Either way, all UK universities use international students as a cash cow - a situation which will only increase, if the universities have their funding cut further.

I have to say though... while Essex is a perfectly good uni, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 9 grand to go there.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending