The Student Room Group

Would the world be a better place without Islam?

Poll

Would the world be a better place without Islam?

Here is another example of a madman calling for a holy war on the West in the name of Islam. He's calling the Western countries "crusaders" in a presumed attempt to link relief efforts in Libya to the Crusades.

But would it be better for the species if the Crusades had been entirely successful - if Islam had been wiped out entirely, or never existed?

I could cite various examples for and against the idea, but I'll leave that to the kind people of TSR.

Please cite your reasons for/and or against, I'm interested to hear both sides of the argument. Poll will be included.

Fatwah disclaimer:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
About as good as the world without Christianity.

Sorry God, but you know I've got a point.

Wait, why am I saying sorry to you? Who says you're Christian per se?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
All ethical teachings, whether religious or nonreligious, aim to nurture compassion, to develop it and to perfect it.
Reply 3
The madman is not even a Muslim; no Muslim would have a copy of the Jewish Kabalah in his residence.
Islam is disgusting
I think thats a completely absurd statement. And there is nothing wrong with Islam but the extremists which you get in EVERY religion. Bad media attention hasn't done anything but worsen the situation for muslims in this country. And its sad that the term islamaphobia was even created.
Reply 6
Your poll is missing the option: Yes, we should abolish Islam and every other religion now.
Reply 7
Meh.
Reply 8
Original post by Bobsyourteapots
I think thats a completely absurd statement. And there is nothing wrong with Islam but the extremists which you get in EVERY religion. Bad media attention hasn't done anything but worsen the situation for muslims in this country. And its sad that the term islamaphobia was even created.

Which option did you vote for?
Look to its Father: CHRISTIANITY!

If you are going to cut off the entire arm, do not just cut off the fingers!
Reply 10
Facepalm at the notion of "abolishing a religion".
pretty much
Do you honestly think people in the Middle East and Africa who have spent decades growing up in war zone watching their families and villages being blown to pieces wouldn't be terrorists if they weren't Muslims? They might not be so keen to die for the cause but they certainly would be keen on retaliation whether justified or not.
Depends.

Some of the greatest poetry ever written was composed by Islamic poets and mystics e.g. Attar's The Conference of the Birds. Obviously Islamic scientists, mathematicians, etc have made great contributions to human knowledge. Whilst Islam and the Caliphate were violent 1000 years ago, they were not really much more violent than the Papal States and the Crusaders.

But unlike Christianity, Islam hasn't evolved. Islamic regimes these days, whether in Saudi Arabia, Iran or wherever seek to impose medievalist Sharia law on people and currently oppress their own people by the tens of millions. So purely to prevent human suffering today, it could be argued that it would have been better had Islam never existed because it doesn't seem to be a reformable religion.
Original post by Rant
Which option did you vote for?

Well I had no option but to vote no islam is a religion of peace. As I obviously don't want to kill everyone. Who is anyone to suggest to 'abolish a religion'? Every religion has its pros and cons whether its islam christianity so on. And like nietzsche said We have killed God...
Reply 15
It is hard to defend Islam's record in certain parts of the world.
Original post by Martyn*
The madman is not even a Muslim; no Muslim would have a copy of the Jewish Kabalah in his residence.

There were countless stories going around that Gaddafi is from a Jewish background and he's done everything possible to hide it but I doubt it.
Original post by JW92

Impossible to defend it really. Look at its record ffs. Also look at Islamic states and the atrocities that happen there. The only people who vote that is better it exists are muslims themselves. The religion is severely backward to what the world is currently evolving into with its liberal democracies in the west. But Islam, is stuck in a rut, and is just not changing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JW92

That is true but just because someone does something and just so happens to be of islamic faith doesn't mean its completely evil :smile:
Nope. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending