The Student Room Group

Going on Holiday Alone!?!

I finish uni in May and am thinking to go on a holiday. Don't have much friends and those I know aren't interested or can't afford it. So, looks like I'm going on my own :frown:

But I don't want to go alone!

I'm sure there are millions of people in my situation who don't have companion for holidays but want to be out, but not alone. what do they do?

I've looked into this and there are companies that run single holidays but they are way too expensive :frown:

What i should do? What other options have I got?! Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I will go with you if you pay :biggrin: Seriously though I find it difficult to believe you have no friends, even loners have at least one. Other than that you could look into the student union, sometimes they organise holiday weekends for student to place like amsterdam, france etc
Reply 2
Going on holiday on your own is fun! :smile: I've been on my own four times, now. :biggrin: Its terrific! :biggrin:

Still, if you're sure about not going on your own, find some people with similar holiday ideals like you? Maybe within a society or something?

Or, if you do go on your own, you'll certainly meet people there. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
i'll come with you
Going solo :yy:

I went to Montreal last summer for the world's largest Jazz Festival. La Magnifique. :coma:
Reply 5
Things are better with company, but if it's a choice of going it alone or not going at all better to choose the former.
how about a family member? a cousin you're close to, or a sibling?
Just whack your backpack on, find a hostel and you're sorted :top:
I'm in a similar situation - long Easter break, and everyone is either studying for finals/writing dissertations/has other holiday plans :rolleyes: I figure there'll be plenty of other people travelling alone if you're headed somewhere fairly popular like major european cities. Think of it this way - you get to do everything and see everything that you want to do/see, instead of some group democratic decision.
Original post by planet
I finish uni in May and am thinking to go on a holiday. Don't have much friends and those I know aren't interested or can't afford it. So, looks like I'm going on my own :frown:

But I don't want to go alone!

I'm sure there are millions of people in my situation who don't have companion for holidays but want to be out, but not alone. what do they do?

I've looked into this and there are companies that run single holidays but they are way too expensive :frown:

What i should do? What other options have I got?! Help!

What kind of holiday did you want?

I've always wanted to go to a resort type holiday with friends but I've never really had any friends who will go.

Travelling in cities is fine on your own, and develops independence an important life skill.

So, this summer I am going on holiday with my parents, God I am so pathetic!
Completely depends what you want to do. In most holiday situations you are highly likely to meet people there. If not, and you want something in particular, try joining social groups that are likely to be looking for the same thing.

Definitely see if there's anything that your uni organizes. Or, you could always set up your own social group where like minded people club together and book trips :smile:
Yes going alone is fine. I remember for ages trying to plan a trip with my mate but I just realised that the stuff he was going to want to do wouldn't have coincided with what I want to do....he was all for doing the adventure activities, bungee jumping, paragliding type stuff, I wanted to go more hiking in mountains, going to different cities and so on, which he said was boring. So I went on my own and it was great, I will definitely travel on my own again in the future. Hostels are full of people who go on their own, even for short breaks. I met a woman who was a teacher from the UK, in a hostel in Cape Town in South Africa, who was just on a 10 day break on the Easter holidays.
Reply 12
Original post by Elissabeth
What kind of holiday did you want?

I've always wanted to go to a resort type holiday with friends but I've never really had any friends who will go.

Travelling in cities is fine on your own, and develops independence an important life skill.

So, this summer I am going on holiday with my parents, God I am so pathetic!

What a similar situation! All I've been out is with my parents...there isn't anyone I could go with really. I don't know why, coz i'm not that sad person everyone wud avoid, but still i'm lonely :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I'm in a similar situation - long Easter break, and everyone is either studying for finals/writing dissertations/has other holiday plans :rolleyes: I figure there'll be plenty of other people travelling alone if you're headed somewhere fairly popular like major european cities. Think of it this way - you get to do everything and see everything that you want to do/see, instead of some group democratic decision.

Yeah same here. I have to submit my dissertation before easter so after then, i'm free for about 2 weeks..just wanted to go somewhere and see things! As I havn't been away on my own, I'm not sure what to expect and i really don't want to go alone. Where were you looking to go?!
Original post by planet
Yeah same here. I have to submit my dissertation before easter so after then, i'm free for about 2 weeks..just wanted to go somewhere and see things! As I havn't been away on my own, I'm not sure what to expect and i really don't want to go alone. Where were you looking to go?!

I kinda bailed on the whole going alone thing, and have just booked 5 days interrailing in Italy with my little brother :h: If I had to do it alone, I'd probably still go to Italy, but stay in one city, probably Florence.
Reply 15
im going to amsterdam alone in a fortnight for a conference. and having the same dilemma of whether i want to stay for longer to do some touristy stuff on my own :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Why don't you tell us what you want to do, or roughly where you want to go, so people can suggest from experience?
I've gone on holiday by myself- with the internet it's easy to make arrangements. I've been happier going to countries where I speak some of the language, which maybe ideal for you too.
Go alone, it's really fun.
But if you go to paris, don't share a cab with a young cute guy who looks like klay aiken.
Reply 19
Depends what kind of holiday you want.... For a drink fuelld holiday (Ibiza/Malia etc) it's not something you can do on your own. But further afield course you can go on your own. Do something you wouldn't ever think of doing.

I'm going to New Zealand in Jan or Feb next year for 4-6 weeks on my own. I have family over there but i'll only be with them 1 or 2 nights. I'm a bit daunted by it but being on my own i can do what i want and i'll have the drive to go speak & meet people if i'm on my own :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest