The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

I understand that there are already many of us 2011 applicants who are having the dilemma of having to take a gap year and reapply for medicine.

Please feel free to discuss things here! Such as what you plan to do in the next year, whether you are actually looking forward to it or whether you are finding it daunting, etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You've got nothing on the 2011 reapplicants. :hand:

:p: Good luck!
Reply 2
Hello Mark
I steve
Reply 3
Pretty much guaranteed a job as a HCA in the care home I currently volunteer at, and plan on going to India for a month with Gap Medics. How many of your previous universities are you applying to? I'm only applying to Newcastle again (definitely, my dream university) and will probs apply to Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield (UKCAT willing), but that may change in the next few months.
cool thread, garlic bread man. I guess I will be on this with you.
Original post by atomos
There's a Health Care Assistant post for A+E going near me, not sure if its too early to apply? I wouldn't be able to start til after June 2nd, but might apply and see how it goes.

where do you live anyway?
Reply 6
My son will be reapplying for 2012.
Rejected before interview from BSMS, and Keele, post interview from Newcastle and Peninsula. He will apply to 3 medicine and 2 biomed next time. He doesn't really want to think about the new application yet - think he is just getting used to the idea - and will just try to get the grades at the moment. Have talked about open days, interview courses etc but he doesn't really want to think about it just yet.
Original post by agonyaunt
My son will be reapplying for 2012.
Rejected before interview from BSMS, and Keele, post interview from Newcastle and Peninsula. He will apply to 3 medicine and 2 biomed next time. He doesn't really want to think about the new application yet - think he is just getting used to the idea - and will just try to get the grades at the moment. Have talked about open days, interview courses etc but he doesn't really want to think about it just yet.

Sounds just like me. I am getting used to the idea. I am thinking about it as the last nice long break before I commit to medicine. My mum is saying that it is a waste of a year, I don't really know she doesn't seem too happy, but I have explained a gap year is the best option.
The most daunting thing for me is having to sit the UKCAT again, I remember averaging my results and I literally felt my heart sinking as it was too low for me to apply to my first choice :frown:
Is your son in Scotland or England?
Original post by garlicbreadman
Sounds just like me. I am getting used to the idea. I am thinking about it as the last nice long break before I commit to medicine. My mum is saying that it is a waste of a year, I don't really know she doesn't seem too happy, but I have explained a gap year is the best option.
The most daunting thing for me is having to sit the UKCAT again, I remember averaging my results and I literally felt my heart sinking as it was too low for me to apply to my first choice :frown:

I feel the same way. I am so scared of taking the ukcat again. If I get a crap mark, then it limits the places I can apply to, and I will probably get 4 rejections again.

I am sure you probably feel the same way about the ukcat as well.
Reply 9
Original post by garlicbreadman

He's in England. His GCSE's were poor for medicine applicants AAAA (Sciences and maths) rest were B's but had good 'as' grades and UKCAT of 705 so he went for UKCAT unis' Guess he will be doing the same this time round - everything depends on A2 grades and UKCAT. I think a gap year is a good idea - time to really think about your application without the stresses of exams, a time to mature a little too. I think he is worried that all his mates are off to uni and he will be left at home but a job/voluntary work should while away some hours!. You are all still so young and I am sure you will all find your path in life and be happy in the end. I wish you all the luck.:biggrin:
Original post by atomos
exactly how i feel :redface:

ditto. Considering some people are holding 3-4 offers with less grades, etc makes me feel a bit of a failure. I know this is the nature of applying to med school but still...
Original post by atomos
Yeah, exactly. I'm happy for everyone still, but it doesn't make me feel any more happy for myself :redface:
But I'm kinda fine with it now, i found out a few of my friends are actually deferring/planning to stay here for uni so i'm not gonna be totally on my own. Hopefully it works out next year for me, and good luck with aberdeen!

thanks. I am praying for an offer. My mum says she is confident I will get an offer tomorrow :redface: :frown: :smile: I don't know what to think...
Reply 12
So, having now officially come through the UCAS 2011 cycle with zero offers :frown: I am starting to contemplate the hidious task of reapplying for 2012 entry.

I figure I will always regret settling for something like Biomedical Sciences (applying through UCAS Extra or clearing) after only giving medicine one shot.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Where did you apply previously? Where are you considering for next year? Do tell.

As I couldn't find a thread for this topic, figured I'd start one.
Original post by tiggix
So, having now officially come through the UCAS 2011 cycle with zero offers :frown: I am starting to contemplate the hidious task of reapplying for 2012 entry.

I figure I will always regret settling for something like Biomedical Sciences (applying through UCAS Extra or clearing) after only giving medicine one shot.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Where did you apply previously? Where are you considering for next year? Do tell.

As I couldn't find a thread for this topic, figured I'd start one.

OP you have fantastic grades and predictions so just make sure you work hard to fulfill your prediction. Really plan out your GAP year so it has a clear structure- there are many opportunities for volunteering in medical settings abroad on placements if that interests you. Personally I wouldn't have wasted an application to Bristol- they are the most competitive med school in the country and their admissions system is rather hit+miss.
Predicted higher results: AAAAA
Prelim results: AAABB (1 Mark off for English, 4 marks or History)

Applied to: Glasgow (first choice, post-interview rejection)
Dundee (second choice, post-interview rejection)
Edinburgh (rejection)
Liverpool (rejection)

I think it seriously harmed my application that I didn't have work experience, so when I get my feedback I'll follow through what they say.

Also, INTERVIEW PRACTISE. I get so nervous :biggrin:
Reply 15
...same story 4 Rejections.

What are your plans...reapply?
Gap year for me now :biggrin:
garlic bread man, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......................................................................................

Do you want me to march into Aberdeen admissions and give them a karate chop for rejecting you.

Or we could just tuck into garlic bread or something. You is paying though. Lol.
How did your parents take it? Were they upset?
Original post by Anterior view
ok This is my new thread for the next year!!!!!!! omg a year!!!!

Welcome. By the way, I agree about your views regarding english people taking scottish places.

Quick Reply

Latest