The Student Room Group

How do you 'think' ?

Poll

How do you think/process info in your mind?

Interestingly I heard recently that not many people think visually/with pictures, let alone in 3D.

I find it hard to imagine that people think in words or are unable to think and animate 3D life like images in their mind with sound, I used to think everyone could do that :p: So i'm just wondering if it's true?

How do you 'think' in your mind? I'd like to hear posts as well as seeing votes; I'm aware the poll options only cover a few of the more common possibilities.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mine varies. Its funny, I was thinking about this a while ago.

If I'm thinking out a course, I'll play through a "video" in my head. This is especially true before a race in the starting gate; my head works on overdrive and I almost take myself through the track and stop at places I really need to focus.

Its a good "thing" to do for me, as I can prepare for courses, pick my lines, etc. Its when my memory works its best. :wink:

So yeah, moving 3D images with audio. :tongue:
Reply 2
For me, it's a combination of words and 3D videos. ^^
Reply 3
I coudn't specify just one. I can think any of those things, I couldn't pick one. I haven't missed the point of the poll, I just think it's impossible to categorise that exactly!
Reply 4
This thread has given me a headache.
Haven't got to 3D yet, I'm still thinking in HD.
A combination.

'I'm going to eat a banana' has a picture of a banana, the word banana and someone saying it too.

I think about the future/past/hypothetical situations/stories a lot though - all of which take place in video form, like being at the cinema :biggrin:

I very rarely think without some form of image too. I'm quite a visual person. Interesting thread though... :smile:
Reply 7
I think in numbers. That's what a Maths degree does to ya.
Reply 8
Interesting thread.

I can't imagine how people are able to think with just words or audio, I'm definitely a visual person... not very detailed though. I'm trying to think to see if my thoughts are 2D or 3D and I'm not sure lol think on the subject matter. My head's a pretty silent place though.
Reply 9
I have basically no visual imagination - I can just about do it if I really try, but it tends to be really dim and low res. Audio is my usual. Static pictures can be done, but again dim and low res. Problem is that whatever I'm seeing (even if I have my eyes closed and it's just darkness) overwhelms whatever I'm thinking.

Original post by mayh3m
I think in numbers. That's what a Maths degree does to ya.

Real mathematicians only use 0, 1 and n :tongue:.
(edited 13 years ago)
My mind isn't a visual place at all, even the act of trying to think about how I think, is drawing me at a blank because I'm trying to visualise it and well, I find that hard! I think quite logically so I for the most part, I think I just think in interconnected steps and stages. So chains of thought which are primarily just spoken in my head. It also depends what I'm thinking about too, if I'm trying to think about how to visualise a certain equation or something, obviously that lends itself to much more visual thinking since you're trying to imagine what it looks like on a graph or what it's doing but for just thinking generally, it's mostly just my own voice in my head, talking through the steps...

No need to overcomplicate things with a picture! =P
(edited 13 years ago)
It depends on what I'm thinking about.
But generally there are pictures/"videos" going on in there and "words" at the same time.
I think in moving 3D with audio. It's awesome. I can't imagine thinking any other way :biggrin:
Varies for me. I've never had an issue manipulating 3D images in my mind if that's what's needed. I sometimes think in 2D, or moving visuals. Other times (like reading, counting internally etc.) it's through a voice in my head.

When I map out a problem internally it tends to be in picture form, even if it's very abstract and wouldn't resemble anything intelligible to someone else if I drew out what I saw for them.
I think with photos and sometimes I think in moving 3D with audio. Like for example, I want to eat cereal, the first thing that would pop into my mind is the photo of my favorite cereal and then the milk is being poured at the bowl. It's a combination really. But when I'm going to sleep, it's role playing. And I like to repeat it all over again.
Anyone else ever watch films in their head? Sounds crazy but sometimes I get really bored and think my way through fellowship of the ring or something.

The sound system is incredible.
Speech (something between words and audio) and 2d images.
Reminds me of this video. Richard Feynman (highly esteemed physicist for anyone who doesn't know, not meaning to be patronising). Watch the whole thing, it's all about this subject and it's fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4y0EUlU-Y&feature=feedf
Really interesting thread, but now I can't think which way I do it.
Generally I think in moving pictures without audio.
But if I need to remember something I can pick out a certain thing, like a picture, a word or audio.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending