The Student Room Group

Why is disliking the British monarchy being "anti-british"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bourgeois
I dunno. Why do some Americans say that disliking the war in Iraq makes you anti-American? why did some Soviets say that disliking the Politburo made you anti-Soviet?

americans are weird and the soviets wanted to keep complete control... my friend prob falls into the first one in this case.
To be honest weddings aren't exactly the most events in the world. The after parties maybe but the actual wedding itself tends to be a little well... dull. Unless you're the one being married of course, then you're either over joyed, highly stressed out or trying to get over that feeling of 'my life is over'. Therefore I don't think being interested in the royal wedding has anything to do with not being a loyal Brit, just that weddings on the whole aren't too interesting. Also I find it a little weird to celebrate someone's wedding whom I don't even know personally. I feel sorry for them to be honest, weddings are meant to be a private thing between your future spouse and your (and theirs) close friends and relatives. Not some public event to reel in tourists.
Original post by Bellissima
americans are weird and the soviets wanted to keep complete control... my friend prob falls into the first one in this case.

Rhetorical questions. Thanks though.

And I don't believe the Americans are weird. It's very much like the Soviet thing. It's an easy way to control the public. Whatever "our" troops do (whose commander in chief is the President btw), you can't object to without, effectively, becoming anti-American.
Reply 23
Original post by L i b
It's not a private event, it's a public one. An heir to the Throne is marrying, and hopefully our royal lineage will be secured.

Pass the sickbag please...
I'm not too bothered about it. All that's on my mind, is an extra day off school to revise for my GCSEs. :tongue:
Reply 25
me and my friend were talking about the royal wedding (well more like she was going on about how great it will be while i sat there nodding)... then she asked me what i was going to do for it... so i told her nothing, i'm not interested in it... she asked me why and i just said i don't like the royal family and i don't have any interest in a wedding of two people i don't know... i then got told that she was "shocked" that i was so anti-british and that since i'm british i should be watching... and that not liking the royal family was like not liking britain. i was actually pretty surprised that someone my age (18) felt this way, i thought it was mainly old(er) people who were really into the royal family.

i love where i live, most of the stuff about britain... i just don't like the royal family.

are there a lot of people who feel the same as my friend?

I agree, i hate the royal familly, all they are good for is a bank holiday every now and then.
Original post by L i b

Original post by L i b
I'm fine with ideological republicanism - I disagree with it, but that's OK. What I will object to is when people do not support the head of state - whomsoever that may be - or make unpleasant remarks towards the Queen who has devoted her life to the service of this country.

That you have chosen to object not to the institution of monarchy, but instead the Royal Family, who have given a huge amount for this country, I find utterly repugnant.

Isn't it hypocritical to be against the concept of a monarchy but simultaneously support the Royal Family? It's a bit like being a pacifist and supporting the armed forces in Iraq/Afghanistan (which some people try and do). Also some would argue that there's no reason to feel sorry for the Queen, born into an extremely wealthy family and inherits a very comfortable lifestyle/job. It's hardly back breaking labour she's doing is it?
Reply 27
Original post by Bellrosk
It's not like they've done it out of the goodness of their heart though you idiot, they're an unelected head of state who get 'a huge amount' back from the country, mainly in the form of our taxes.

Although taxes are collected by "the Crown" they do not go to the monarch. I'm afraid if you're that naive and, frankly, ignorant of our political system then you're the fool here.

Unlike most heads of state, the Queen does not take a salary.

Original post by screenager2004
It's not our royal lineage, these people are just German aristocrats who married into our royal family centuries ago and are only affiliated by marriage.

It's quite incredible how far racism can go when Royalty is being discussed. The last monarch to be born outside of the UK was George II - who was born in what was effectively a colony of the British Crown in 1683. The Hanoverian line did indeed marry in - perhaps you are of the opinion that our head of state should not be able to marry foreigners?

We've never had a royal lineage, for thousands of years our rulers have been the leaders of the armies who have invaded and conquered and raped our land. Clinging onto them as idols is just pathetic.

Well, first off I care about continuity rather than racial purity, but it's worth noting that the Queen traces her ancestry back to even the early Pictish and Mercian kings who ruled in these islands. Hell, if you take the legends seriously, the Royal house is related to the first king of Britain, who was himself descended from Zeus.
Reply 28
Original post by CombineHarvester
Isn't it hypocritical to be against the concept of a monarchy but simultaneously support the Royal Family?

No. If the United Kingdom had a president, I'd give him due support as the head of our state and national leader even if I disagreed with his position.

Also some would argue that there's no reason to feel sorry for the Queen, born into an extremely wealthy family and inherits a very comfortable lifestyle/job. It's hardly back breaking labour she's doing is it?

Yes, it is in fact. Being King killed her father, as she well remembers. It is an enormously stressful job, and involves a complete sacrifice of any individual autonomy in service of the nation. That the Queen has private wealth is neither here nor there - I never cease to be amazed by how materialistic some people are - she has never had a life to call her own.
the only members of the royal family i actually like are princess anne and the queen... the nobodies i don't really count as being "the royal family" (anyone who isn't a close relation to queen) i don't have any opinion of personally... same with a couple more. they are actually paid for what they do though you know. the ones i don't like are philip, charles and a few others.

i did actually mean the monarchy as an institution though.

I actually find Charles to be quite likeable, but yeah the wedding can **** right off.
Reply 30
Original post by Ree-Ree-Real:p
You call yourself British and you can't even spell properly. Shameful. Where did I mention loving the Muslim culture. Your ignorance is amazing. Firstly, culture comes with an area; their traditional ways and practices. It has nothing to do with religion.
I think I made it perfectly clear in the previous post that I love Britain and I'm doubt that you know this but it is a multi-cultural society.

I can actually see you flaming right now. It's funny. You know what, read this. It will make you happy.

I am going to become a doctor. You planning to become a binman.
I am going to help British people by saving their lives. You will help them by taking their rubbish away. I will get a very large salary from the government. You will get a wage which is the lowest of the low. I am going to be paying much more tax from my wages. You won't be. The taxes that I pay will be going towards schools and other public services. You won't be contributing anything towards that. You're children will go to state schools, that my taxes paid for improving. You see who's dependent on who? You see who is contributing more to Britain? You see who is really British and cares about its future?

It appears that, for all that, you've never managed to acquire a dose of British modesty or humility though. That rant was utterly appalling.
Original post by L i b
No. If the United Kingdom had a president, I'd give him due support as the head of our state and national leader even if I disagreed with his position.

That's a rather nationalist stance for someone who once described nationalism as 'repugnant'.

Yes, it is in fact. Being King killed her father, as she well remembers. It is an enormously stressful job, and involves a complete sacrifice of any individual autonomy in service of the nation. That the Queen has private wealth is neither here nor there - I never cease to be amazed by how materialistic some people are - she has never had a life to call her own.

Oh boo-hoo, if she didn't like it she could have abdicated.

It's a hard life isn't it, travelling the world in luxury to attend state-banquets and eat the finest food available for a living :rolleyes:
Reply 32
Original post by Barden
That's a rather nationalist stance for someone who once described nationalism as 'repugnant'.

Very lite civic nationalism at worst. I believe in making the existing institutions of state work and believe in supporting them rather than pointlessly obstructing them. That's part of what makes me a Tory.

The Queen is hardly a nationalistic institution - she is Queen of 16 diverse countries and head of a Commonwealth which encompasses more cultures than I can even begin to imagine.

Oh boo-hoo, if she didn't like it she could have abdicated.

No, she has a sense of duty - which is clearly something that people like you just regard as one of those old fashioned terms like honour, respect and valour to be thrown away at will. Believe it or not, not everyone does things for monetary and material gain.

The Queen saw fine well what the last abdication crisis did to the nation - and indeed again what it did to her father who was forced into the limelight. The same would have happened if the Queen abdicated in relation to Princess Margaret. It's worth noting that, when the abdication occurred, a young Princesses Margaret gave condolences to her sister over her inevitable future position.

It's a hard life isn't it, travelling the world in luxury to attend state-banquets and eat the finest food available for a living :rolleyes:

I certainly wouldn't like to spend my time sitting through a bunch of state banquets, but of course that isn't the monarch's sole duty. Indeed, it's one of the most varied jobs imaginable.

But, to be blunt, I simply don't measure someone's success in terms of what they get for dinner. I understand Napoleon Bonaparte got fed rather well when he was imprisoned on St Helena too.
(edited 13 years ago)
I find nationalism repulsive and national pride pointless. I also object to the idea that a person should be born into wealth just because this person belongs to a certain family.

The Royal family are a living monument to a class system that kept the majority in poverty whilst the rich lived in luxury. They reinforce idea that 'we are better than you and that's the way it should stay'.

And don't feed me the crap about tourism, I'm pretty sure tourists wouldn't stop coming, if the queen wasn't occupying the throne with her old arse.
me and my friend were talking about the royal wedding (well more like she was going on about how great it will be while i sat there nodding)... then she asked me what i was going to do for it... so i told her nothing, i'm not interested in it... she asked me why and i just said i don't like the royal family and i don't have any interest in a wedding of two people i don't know... i then got told that she was "shocked" that i was so anti-british and that since i'm british i should be watching... and that not liking the royal family was like not liking britain. i was actually pretty surprised that someone my age (18) felt this way, i thought it was mainly old(er) people who were really into the royal family.

i love where i live, most of the stuff about britain... i just don't like the royal family.

are there a lot of people who feel the same as my friend?

I agree with you.

I'm British and don't care about the Royal Family. Doesn't make me any less British.

I just think they should get jobs. They can keep their titles, mind.
Reply 35
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
I also object to the idea that a person should be born into wealth just because this person belongs to a certain family.

Are you consistently on the extreme left, or does it just happen to be on this one issue?
Reply 36
Original post by L i b
Are you consistently on the extreme left, or does it just happen to be on this one issue?

I think he probably means state funded wealth.
Original post by L i b

Well, first off I care about continuity rather than racial purity, but it's worth noting that the Queen traces her ancestry back to even the early Pictish and Mercian kings who ruled in these islands. Hell, if you take the legends seriously, the Royal house is related to the first king of Britain, who was himself descended from Zeus.

Has it not occured to you that these myths are just that, myths?

Really, if all the nonsense the Royals have come up with over the years were to be believed, every single one of them would be not only a descendant of the gods (from the Egyptian pharoahs onward) but also a living representative of god on earth (our Shahs tried that too...it's by no means a British tradition reserved for Charles I!).

Face it, the monarchy, wherever it was, Egypt, Persia, Japan or England has historically used the guise of religion to assume and consolidate power. This whole "continuity" and "tradition" thing modern day Royalists bang on about is nothing more than their own unconcious belief in the myths their ancestors were fed hundreds of years ago. Which is really quite sad if you think about it, modern day, rational human beings ought to know better.

And guess what, I know I'm right because historical facts tell me so :grin:

To answer the OP: I have nothing personal against the Royal family but I despise the idea of monarchy. Couldn't care less about William and Kate's wedding.
Reply 38
Hate the game, not the player.

I dont care if you dont support the Monarchy, although I will try and change your mind. I get very annoyed when people personaly attack the Royal family for no reason at all. The Queen and DofE have given there lives for this nation, as did King George, all of whom didnt really want the Royal life. They do it becasue we want them do and they have a sence of duty
Original post by L i b
--

I honestly do not know how you can support the royals. What have they ever done for us? Their ancestors have controlled us for centuries. They have marched us off to wars and stolen from us. It's only in the last 100 years that the monarchy have lost their power, and surprisingly that's also the time that people started liking the monarchy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending