The Student Room Group

Virgin Media (Can they find me?)

Several months ago I signed a contract with Virgin Media and foolishly didn't read the small print. Turns out that I am tied to the contract and have to pay for a whole 12 months of internet service. I left the place I took the contact out for in January after only 3 months under the contract (which I paid for) and thought that would be it, that I wouldn't be bothered again - I never had a direct debit with them and made my payments over the phone. However, they've started calling my mobile phone (God knows how they've got its number), and CSL have been calling me as well. I haven't answered any of their calls and don't know what to do. I have no ties to the address they have in their database, I don't live there, nor does anyone I know. Will it be possible for them to track me down or will they just go away if I keep ignoring their calls?
Reply 1
lol.

Pay up fool. This will likely come back to seriously bite you in the ass down the road.
Your credit rating will go through the floor, pay up or you'll pay even more for it later.
Reply 3
Seriously, you think you can just run away from this?! You signed the contract, you owe them the money. I don't know much about it but I would be surprised if your credit rating would be unharmed.
:facepalm2:
Reply 5
I kind of did this at one point... I had a contract with Virgin for 12 months in one house and on the 11th month I moved house and phoned them to say I was moving - they moved the contract to the other house and downgraded to 10MB on their condition I would pay for an extra 3 months worth (so 15 months altogether) and as I was staying there for 2 1/2 months I agreed to it but I didn't sign anything.

Anyway, when I moved into the new house, the 50MB router/modem didn't work when I plugged it into the line, so I rang Virgin who told me that they had to "activate" it and it would take some time - this was from some ****ing outsourced Indian woman who just wanted to get me off the phone. After several days, like 11 days, it still didn't work so I rang again and was told that my router/modem were incompatible with the new 10mb connection (they didn't bother telling me this when I downgraded?!) and that they'd send out a new "10mb router/modem" - now, my dad works for Virgin and told me this is complete horse shít, every router and modem is compatible on any connection and to "ACTIVATE" the connection it takes 5 seconds to change a configuration file on their servers to 'active' and set the speed that the house is supposed to get, my dad's friend did this within a few minutes and it could've been done on day one.

Anyway, by this point I hadn't had internet for about 2 weeks, so when I finally did it get it, I made one payment to Virgin of like £9 and didn't bother making any more because of the inconvenience/lying/general incompetence I felt I'd suffered from them. I got a new phone number at this time as well and the only thing I've ever received from them, even though I owed them a good 3 months worth of cash, was ONE poorly worded email saying "Please call us on this number to sort out a problem we have with you" - nothing has ever come of it

But if you've signed a 12 month contract then you might get broken balls i.e. credit rating in the future - I didn't pay because I hadn't signed a contract and I felt severely inconvenienced by them, so maybe they just gave up? Didn't mean to tell a tale, hope you enjoyed it anyways :p:
Reply 6
Original post by tonberry
hope you enjoyed it anyways :p:

I for one did. :awesome:
Reply 7
Original post by Cicerao
I for one did. :awesome:

Then it was worth it :awesome:

I used to live in Swansea! :holmes: - In fact, in my story up there, the houses I had Virgin in were on Walter Road anddd Rhondda St. up on Mount on Pleasant if you know them :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Then it was worth it :awesome:

I used to live in Swansea! :holmes:

You escaped? :ninja:
Reply 9
Original post by Cicerao
You escaped? :ninja:

Aye but only to Cardiff! I still go back to see people and whenever I need a tattoo recoloured!
Aye but only to Cardiff! I still go back to see people and whenever I need a tattoo recoloured!

You sure you are from Swansea? Sounds like a Geordie accent to me :tongue:!
Original post by Quentin
Several months ago I signed a contract with Virgin Media and foolishly didn't read the small print. Turns out that I am tied to the contract and have to pay for a whole 12 months of internet service. I left the place I took the contact out for in January after only 3 months under the contract (which I paid for) and thought that would be it, that I wouldn't be bothered again - I never had a direct debit with them and made my payments over the phone. However, they've started calling my mobile phone (God knows how they've got its number), and CSL have been calling me as well. I haven't answered any of their calls and don't know what to do. I have no ties to the address they have in their database, I don't live there, nor does anyone I know. Will it be possible for them to track me down or will they just go away if I keep ignoring their calls?

I'd just like to put in from the perspective of someone who lives in a house that keep getting letters from Virgin to the previous occupant. It's f*****g irritating to keep getting the same letters over and over again. Also got a visit one time and when I told them that he didn't live here the bloke said 'I thought that's what you'd say' in a very disbelieving way :angry: Sorry OP, slightly hijacking the thread for a rant.:colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Your credit rating will go through the floor, pay up or you'll pay even more for it later.

Original post by tface
Seriously, you think you can just run away from this?! You signed the contract, you owe them the money. I don't know much about it but I would be surprised if your credit rating would be unharmed.

There's no such thing as a universal credit rating though is there? Virgin Media don't know who I bank with so they can't tell them about this. I guess it might mean I can't use Virgin Media again (not that I'd want to).

Didn't mean to tell a tale, hope you enjoyed it anyways :p:

Was interesting. :tongue: But yeah, they have no way of finding me. Hopefully they'll just stop looking for me as well. . .

Original post by kirsty142
I'd just like to put in from the perspective of someone who lives in a house that keep getting letters from Virgin to the previous occupant. It's f*****g irritating to keep getting the same letters over and over again. Also got a visit one time and when I told them that he didn't live here the bloke said 'I thought that's what you'd say' in a very disbelieving way :angry: Sorry OP, slightly hijacking the thread for a rant.:colondollar:

Oh dear. Now I feel really bad for whoever moves into my old flat. :/ On behalf of whoever lived at your house before you, I am really, really sorry. I never even considered you before I left, and I probably should've. Sorry!!! :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
You really have no idea how credit ratings work do you?
LOL
They have your phone number, they will find you, they will sue because it is cut and dried. They would win and have costs awarded against you. They can do this without you being there.
Original post by Quentin
There's no such thing as a universal credit rating though is there? Virgin Media don't know who I bank with so they can't tell them about this. I guess it might mean I can't use Virgin Media again (not that I'd want to).

Was interesting. :tongue: But yeah, they have no way of finding me. Hopefully they'll just stop looking for me as well. . .

Oh dear. Now I feel really bad for whoever moves into my old flat. :/ On behalf of whoever lived at your house before you, I am really, really sorry. I never even considered you before I left, and I probably should've. Sorry!!! :frown:

I really don't think you understand how credit ratings work. When you open any form of contract or credit agreement, that goes on your Credit Report. Your credit report shows all the accounts you have with banks, mobile phone companies (contracts), broadband (contracts), credit cards, etc, taken out in your name.
They are imprinted on your report instantly.
Every month, if you pay on time you will get a '0' against the credit report. This will show that your account is in a Satisfactory condition. I've attached a few pictures below to show you:

As shown above, a green mark for every month you pay on time, a yellow mark for 1, 2 or 3 months late, and a red mark for 4+ months late. Your payments (or lack of, in this case) will seriously affect your chances of obtaining credit later in life, as these records stay on file for six years from the date of settlement. Your resistance to pay up is going to affect you six years down the line when you need finance for a car, or a mortgage. You simply won't get one. Below is an account in the format of what your Virgin Media account would be on your credit report:

I don't have any missed payments on mine, but where the green 0's are you will have red + the number of months you have not paid Virgin Media.
As soon as they find out that you have moved without telling them of your new address, they will alert GAIN [Gone Away Information Network]. While its name isn't the most well thought out thing in the world, GAIN is also on your credit report, and will show all banks, credit card companies, finance companies etc that you have moved house and not told Virgin Media to avoid paying:

Experian (who manage all credit reports) will also provide any information Virgin Media request, including your new address if they have it (if you have opened any mobile phone / new contracts / credit agreements in your current address, that will be stored in your credit report).

So, in short, yes, they WILL find you, and it's probably too late because your credit report has probably been permanently damaged. If you haven't already done so, I would seriously recommend taking out a 30-day free trial with experian so you can see your credit report yourself: Click here

But then, maybe not, because you'll have to enter your current address...

Seriously, just pay up before you do even more damage to your credit.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Quentin

Original post by sebbytotherescue
I really don't think you understand how credit ratings work. When you open any form of contract or credit agreement, that goes on your Credit Report. Your credit report shows all the accounts you have with banks, mobile phone companies (contracts), broadband (contracts), credit cards, etc, taken out in your name.
They are imprinted on your report instantly.
Every month, if you pay on time you will get a '0' against the credit report. This will show that your account is in a Satisfactory condition. I've attached a few pictures below to show you:

As shown above, a green mark for every month you pay on time, a yellow mark for 1, 2 or 3 months late, and a red mark for 4+ months late. Your payments (or lack of, in this case) will seriously affect your chances of obtaining credit later in life, as these records stay on file for six years from the date of settlement. Your resistance to pay up is going to affect you six years down the line when you need finance for a car, or a mortgage. You simply won't get one. Below is an account in the format of what your Virgin Media account would be on your credit report:

I don't have any missed payments on mine, but where the green 0's are you will have red + the number of months you have not paid Virgin Media.
As soon as they find out that you have moved without telling them of your new address, they will alert GAIN [Gone Away Information Network]. While its name isn't the most well thought out thing in the world, GAIN is also on your credit report, and will show all banks, credit card companies, finance companies etc that you have moved house and not told Virgin Media to avoid paying:

Experian (who manage all credit reports) will also provide any information Virgin Media request, including your new address if they have it (if you have opened any mobile phone / new contracts / credit agreements in your current address, that will be stored in your credit report).

So, in short, yes, they WILL find you, and it's probably too late because your credit report has probably been permanently damaged. If you haven't already done so, I would seriously recommend taking out a 30-day free trial with experian so you can see your credit report yourself: Click here

But then, maybe not, because you'll have to enter your current address...

Seriously, just pay up before you do even more damage to your credit.

Owned!
I used to work for Virgin Media.

They will find you and ass **** you.

Billing have no sympathy.
Reply 17
Original post by yogi_bear_2k2
You sure you are from Swansea? Sounds like a Geordie accent to me :tongue:!

Haha I've never even been near Newcastle :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending