The Student Room Group

Gap Year Students Applying for 11/12

Hi there :smile:

I am on my gap year and have recently filled out the Student Finance form. I live in Wales and I am going to Bangor University.

Gap year students are entitled to what students for 10/11 got last year and we are "Continuing Students". My problem is the tuition fee has changed at the university and I pressed the maximum loan (£3290) for the tuition fee but it's £3,375 for 11/12.
Will the university let me pay what everyone else did last year or will I have to pay the difference?

Has anyone got the same problem or had the same problem or should I call up and see?

Will it be a problem if you don't have to pay until you graduate?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Stricof
Will it be a problem if you don't have to pay until you graduate?

Mmm I see what your saying but the loan goes straight to the university once it comes through but it will be less so will that mean I have to pay more on top of what I would already be paying to them?
Original post by Lana_07
Mmm I see what your saying but the loan goes straight to the university once it comes through but it will be less so will that mean I have to pay more on top of what I would already be paying to them?
You will be paying more. Just like, if you deferred one more year, you could be paying the new (theoretical maximum) tuition fee of 9k (which of course only applies to 12/13 entry).

You will therefore be subject to the new financial arrangements.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Stricof
You will be paying more. Just like, if you deferred one more year, you could be paying the new (theoretical maximum) tuition fee of 9k (which of course only applies to 12/13 entry).

You will therefore be subject to the new financial arrangements.

Hm ok, thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lana_07
Hi there :smile:

I am on my gap year and have recently filled out the Student Finance form. I live in Wales and I am going to Bangor University.

Gap year students are entitled to what students for 10/11 got last year and we are "Continuing Students". My problem is the tuition fee has changed at the university and I pressed the maximum loan (£3290) for the tuition fee but it's £3,375 for 11/12.
Will the university let me pay what everyone else did last year or will I have to pay the difference?

Has anyone got the same problem or had the same problem or should I call up and see?

We aren't continuing students in the slightest as we haven't started a course to continue it. You should be applying for 2011/12 and putting in this years tuition fee figure when it asks.
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000
We aren't continuing students in the slightest as we haven't started a course to continue it. You should be applying for 2011/12 and putting in this years tuition fee figure when it asks.

I am apparently because I have called them up and asked them around about 3 times and they told me to fill out the 2010/11 forms which I have! Because I deferred my entry last year..

Edit: It has a topic on the Student Finance Wales website saying that "Gap year students" are continuing student's but they have changed it for 2012/13 when the Gap year student will be a new student.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lana_07
I am apparently because I have called them up and asked them around about 3 times and they told me to fill out the 2010/11 forms which I have! Because I deferred my entry last year..

Edit: It has a topic on the Student Finance Wales website saying that "Gap year students" are continuing student's but they have changed it for 2012/13 when the Gap year student will be a new student.

Maybe Wales is different then, because everyone I know on gap years in England are not contiuning students. Plus in England if you applied now for 2010/11 you'd be told you would be too late for income assessed finance.
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
Maybe Wales is different then, because everyone I know on gap years in England are not contiuning students. Plus in England if you applied now for 2010/11 you'd be told you would be too late for income assessed finance.

Interesting.. Thanks anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending