The Student Room Group

'I don't like the taste of alcohol'

Scroll to see replies

Ok sunshine, i'd better get going anyway.

Have fun tomorrow studying the origin of thoughts, or whatever pointless degree it is that you do study at the taxpayers expense. Bye Bye.
Original post by AnfieldRoad10
Ok sunshine, i'd better get going anyway.

Have fun tomorrow studying the origin of thoughts, or whatever pointless degree it is that you do study at the taxpayers expense. Bye Bye.

The only opinion I gained from this thread is that you're an absolute ****ing moron. Congratulations, you ****tard.
Reply 82
Original post by Tommyjw
Doesn't need to be :smile:
Capitalization - first (and only, if need be) word has it's first letter written in upper-case.

*its- by all means type fast and disregard spelling and grammar, but when correcting someone it's a good idea to be correct yourself.

Seriously guys, chill out. Who cares? We don't all have the same tongue, I never used to like alcoholic drinks myself (or at least all of the rather large variety I had tried, working in a bar)- does it really matter if someone says they don't? It doesn't stop you from enjoying your drink.

Peace and goodwill to all men :smile: It's a non-argument, as far as I see it.

Case closed.
Me too. Not a big deal tbh. If you dont like it, its okay.
Reply 84
Alcohol is one base chemical compound right?

Some people do not like the taste.

Some people do.

There are different things you can mix it with to make it taste better.

/thread :biggrin:
Original post by Tommyjw

Original post by Tommyjw
No, and thats a very misguided view.

People who say they do not like the taste, have no right to say that unless they have tried every single drink and mix available , which i highly doubt anyone has.

I don't like the taste of cheese much. Have I tried every type of cheese? No.

It's still a valid reason; nearly everything in life is based on personal experience. Is there anything YOU don't like? Can you honestly say that you've tried every different varient of what you don't like?

I think you'll find people have a right to like and not like what they please.
Original post by Tommyjw
If you say this, your an idiot.

I hate vodka.
I love vodka and coke.

Essentially, if you say you don't like the taste of alcohol, you just haven;t tried enough drinks.
Rant over =]

Hmm sounds a little silly to use an example. If you dislike vodka and like vodka and coke, then all you like is the fact that the soft drink has drowned out the taste of the alcohol. A lot of people like this, we've got someone below saying they dislike wine, vodka, beer, cider etc but they like smirnoff because it tastes like sprite. Again they dislike the taste of alcohol, smirnoff ice just hides with how sweet it is.
Original post by llacerta
It's something I've never quite been able to comprehend (unless I'm missing some blearingly obvious point here, which anyone is free to point out).

It's probably saying that alcohol doesn't have one taste sounds incorrect to me. Ethanol itself is going to taste the same no matter what. But say in St.heliers blueberry cider, the actual ethanol content is 5%, it's the rest of the non alcohol 95% with makes it taste differently. I'd wager most people dislike the taste of raw ethanol, it's just finding something to cover it up they like, hence why a lot of people who can't find anything(because they dislike beer, wine, cider etc) end up with vodka and coke or the like, because the soft drink overpowers the alcoholic taste.
There are sooo many different alcoholic drinks it's surely impossible to hate the taste of all of it!
When I used to drink (teetotal now for personal reasons) I had vodka and coke- because I'm not the BIGGEST fan of pure alcohol like vod, beer or wine- but when it was mixed with coke I could hardly taste it, and I was such a lightweight I didn't need many lol!

And I fail to see how people can hate all alcopops, because some are absolutely gorgeous, and taste just like fruit juice really (scary haha).
Reply 89
True, I haven't tried every kind of alcohol (like cider, but I don't like apples/apple juice so I don't see the point) but the ones I have (various types of beer, whiskey, rum, cocktails that friends and family have thrust upon me) all taste the same, as far as the alcohol content goes (like I like the cocktails until the alcohol taste kicks in :/ ). I really can't stand the smell either. And really, unless they're in the "We will show you the light!" mood, that has absolutely zero effect on the people around me. So, really, why the hell do you care so much about the drinking preferences of others?
Reply 90
Original post by Tommyjw
If you say this, your an idiot.

frankly you seem the sort of person who if a person doesn't drink, is rude and judgemental. maybe they're using that excuse so they don't get confronted. What is your opinion of people who dont drink much or at all?
But then if we drown out the taste of alcohol with soft drinks anyway what's the point in having an alcoholic drink in the first place? A fruit juice or a sprite is cheaper and that's all you taste anyway...
I generally don't like alcohol unless it's sweet or mixed with something sweet, so most of the time I'd really just prefer a glass of juice...
I don't see the problem.
Reply 92
Most people don't like the taste of alcoholic drinks when they first try them. But they see what pleasure other people derive from them, so they stick with it until they get used to it and eventually enjoy the taste far more than they ever enjoyed alcohol-free drinks, and are really, really glad they stuck with it. Most of the truly worthwhile things in life take a little effort in the first place. The kind of loser who can't be bothered to put the work in to make something of their lives, I can imagine they wouldn't be bothered to put the effort in to get used to the taste of alcohol.

Ultimately it just depends on what type of person you are. If you're a born quitter or are trying to make a statement about how "unique and original" you are (like you're the first ever person to not drink), then by all means don't bother trying alcohol. Stick to your glass of fizzy pop. It's you that's missing out.
Reply 93
Original post by street.lovin'
ok. :smile: some people just dont like alcohol and there is nothing wrong with that. :dontknow:

Thats impossible really. Maybe you don't like the feel of being drunk. But alcohol does not even have a taste. Its the other stuff in the drink that the person does not like.
jeeze, this thread has so much ignorance in it...

http://www.theathlete.org/drug-abuse/alcoholic_beverages.htm

all alcahol drinks have 1 bassic ingredience, which can have a distinctive smell/taste.

no one likes the taste of ethonal

for some people the mix of diluted ethonal and another substance, tastes quite nice.

for others it doesnt.

Now on to the op:

There is nothing wrong with the statement 'I dont like the taste of alcahol'

there is something wrong with 'I dont like the taste of all alcaholic drinks'

(but only wrong, in the pedantic sense of 'you havent tried them all therefor how do you know'... because some alcaholic drinks are so diluted and sweet, if you gave them to a non-drinker, and told them they were a J20... i defy them to tell)

But its only wrong, in this pedantic nit-picking way, (in the same way as me having a go at people who say they dont like cheese, when all cheese tastes different, and they have only tried cheddar) In a practical sense, there is no reason to get worked up over it though, as to try every sing drink would be impossible, pointless, and idiotic.

now calm down all...
Original post by py0alb
The kind of loser who can't be bothered to put the work in to make something of their lives, I can imagine they wouldn't be bothered to put the effort in to get used to the taste of alcohol.

That's pretty over the top?!
No-one has to get used to it if they don't want to. Getting used to alcohol isn't exactly one of life's great achievements.
It's totally unrelated to their attitude on life.
People also need to specify which alcohol they mean. I mean some people might be more partial to a bit of 3-methylbutanol rather than ethanol tbh.
Reply 97
Original post by echelongirl1
That's pretty over the top?!
No-one has to get used to it if they don't want to. Getting used to alcohol isn't exactly one of life's great achievements.
It's totally unrelated to their attitude on life.

Possibly. the debate seemed to be getting a bit one sided, so I attempted to play devils advocate. The smug self-righteous attitude of some teetotalers gets right up my nose. I do think "I don't like the taste" is something of a naive reason. No-one likes the taste to start with.
Oh STFU. Why does it bother you so much that you needed to make a thread? :lolwut:
Reply 99
Original post by py0alb
Possibly. the debate seemed to be getting a bit one sided, so I attempted to play devils advocate. The smug self-righteous attitude of some teetotalers gets right up my nose. I do think "I don't like the taste" is something of a naive reason. No-one likes the taste to start with.

It just sounds to me like you feel threatened by the idea of someone not liking alcohol. I know a couple of people who don't drink, and I've met a fair few more, and none of them have ever come across as 'smug' or 'self-righteous'. I'd challenge you to find any teetotaler in this thread who's come across that way.

Quick Reply

Latest