The Student Room Group

"Love through the Ages" AQA A2 English Literature

I'm in the process of writing my revision notes for the "Love through the Ages" (AQA spec A, A2 English Literature) exam but I'm having some problems with categorising things - my teacher advised studying the different types of love (e.g. love between families, close friendships etc) and also the different stages of love (first love, marriage, grief, breaking up with someone, etc), because just looking at romantic love is too narrow in scope.

There are so many different types and stages of love that I can think of and trying to categorise prose, poetry and drama from the Middle Ages to the 21st century into all these types/stages is quite overwhelming. There is so much literature about love that it's hard to decide what to include and what not to include! I'm trying to find an effective way of revising for this exam.

So, I was wondering how other people who are taking this exam are structuring their revision notes. What have you done regarding literature in categories of different types of love? Are you structuring your revision notes into types/stages of love?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I sat the exam in January and came out with a good result so I hope I can help here. I think that looking at different types of love is certainly more valuable that trying to revise in a chronological way. The advice that we got is that, as long as we had one text from each genre to talk about, that would be enough wider reading. I basically went over the texts that I studied last year for Victorian Literature and also revised the texts that I'm using for coursework. I also put a small collection of poetry from different poets and time periods together.

Honestly, though, I think the most valuable thing that I did in terms of revision was just practice. I got hold of lots of different extracts and poems to do with love and worked out where I could make links etc. Remember, the main bulk of the marks in the A2 exam come from analysing the unseen texts rather than wider reading references so practice is the best thing you can do!

Hope this has helped!
Original post by MBK28
Hi, I sat the exam in January and came out with a good result so I hope I can help here. I think that looking at different types of love is certainly more valuable that trying to revise in a chronological way. The advice that we got is that, as long as we had one text from each genre to talk about, that would be enough wider reading. I basically went over the texts that I studied last year for Victorian Literature and also revised the texts that I'm using for coursework. I also put a small collection of poetry from different poets and time periods together.

Honestly, though, I think the most valuable thing that I did in terms of revision was just practice. I got hold of lots of different extracts and poems to do with love and worked out where I could make links etc. Remember, the main bulk of the marks in the A2 exam come from analysing the unseen texts rather than wider reading references so practice is the best thing you can do!

Hope this has helped!

Well done on your result!! So you didn't do extreme amounts of wider reading then?
Reply 3
Original post by FlobberDobber
Well done on your result!! So you didn't do extreme amounts of wider reading then?

Thank you :smile: I wouldn't say extreme amounts, no. My wider reading was basically the texts that I studied at AS and then 'Measure for Measure', Chaucer's 'The Wife of Bath' and 'The Remains of the Day' plus a few extra poems. I didn't use all of those in the exam.

From my own experience, it's really about making sure you make links between the unseen texts and focus of form, structure and language.
Original post by MBK28
Thank you :smile: I wouldn't say extreme amounts, no. My wider reading was basically the texts that I studied at AS and then 'Measure for Measure', Chaucer's 'The Wife of Bath' and 'The Remains of the Day' plus a few extra poems. I didn't use all of those in the exam.

From my own experience, it's really about making sure you make links between the unseen texts and focus of form, structure and language.

That's great, thank you :smile: On the first question where it referred to one genre, was it poetry? My English Teacher seems to think it will this for our summer exam
Reply 5
That's great, thank you :smile: On the first question where it referred to one genre, was it poetry? My English Teacher seems to think it will this for our summer exam

Yeah, we got two poems which, I guess, makes it less likely for you to get that in the summer.
Reply 6
I'm studying the same specification and was struggling with the same problem.
Thanks for the advice!
Reply 7
Original post by myrainyday
I'm studying the same specification and was struggling with the same problem.
Thanks for the advice!

No problem :smile: I hope the exam goes well for you in the summer!
Original post by MBK28
Yeah, we got two poems which, I guess, makes it less likely for you to get that in the summer.

Okay thanks, they've done poems for every past paper so far so I guess you're right!
Reply 9
Original post by MBK28

Hope this has helped!

Thank you.

I think that looking at different types of love is certainly more valuable that trying to revise in a chronological way

Do you have any tips on categories, e.g. first love, jealous love etc? Because I can think of so many categories that it would be hard to study them all and I'm wondering if I should look at slightly broader categories of wider reading or whether I should be really specific.
Reply 10
Okay thanks, they've done poems for every past paper so far so I guess you're right!

No problem :biggrin: I hope you get decent unseen texts in the summer! Are you wanting to study English Lit further?
Reply 11
Original post by Bella_Cullen
Thank you.

Do you have any tips on categories, e.g. first love, jealous love etc? Because I can think of so many categories that it would be hard to study them all and I'm wondering if I should look at slightly broader categories of wider reading or whether I should be really specific.

You're welcome :biggrin: The sorts of things that I focused on were unrequited love, lack of love and family love. The problem is that lots of texts feature a few different types. I would say just have an idea about what types of love can be found in each text. The unseen texts in the exam tend to be connected to one type of love so as long as you can identify that and then justify your wider reading connections in some way (either through theme/language use/something similar) then you should be alright :smile:
Original post by MBK28
No problem :biggrin: I hope you get decent unseen texts in the summer! Are you wanting to study English Lit further?

I really like it, if I wasn't doing Law i'd be doing that :smile: how about you?
Reply 13
I really like it, if I wasn't doing Law i'd be doing that :smile: how about you?

Yeah, I'm taking it alongside History :smile:
Reply 14
Hello :smile:
Just thought i'd watch this thread as i'm doing the same syllabus and need tips on how/what to revise!
Reply 15
Original post by jessicaaax
Hello :smile:
Just thought i'd watch this thread as i'm doing the same syllabus and need tips on how/what to revise!

Hi :smile: Are there any specific questions you want answered or is it just more general?

What texts have you studied?
Reply 16
Original post by MBK28
Hi :smile: Are there any specific questions you want answered or is it just more general?

What texts have you studied?

Just anything really, resitting victorian literature again as well :|
any ideas of the best wider reading texts to use for both?

& i'm doing emma, wife of bath and antony and cleopatra for coursework and then going through the aqa book for the exam, yourself?
Reply 17
Original post by jessicaaax
Just anything really, resitting victorian literature again as well :|
any ideas of the best wider reading texts to use for both?

& i'm doing emma, wife of bath and antony and cleopatra for coursework and then going through the aqa book for the exam, yourself?

I did the exam (and resat victorian lit as well) in January and I don't need to resit which is good. I think doing some Chaucer as your poetry is valuable as examiners tend to view it as a hard text to study. Funnily enough, one of our unseen extracts in January was from Antony and Cleopatra!

For wider reading for Victorian Lit, I think 'The French Lieutenant's Woman' and 'A Doll's House' are both very good.
Reply 18
Hi I started a thread on Love Through the Ages last year if you want to take a look, because there are some wider reading ideas on there
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1408386

Here's a list of possible texts under different themes:
Pursuit
All in Green - E.E. Cummings
Troilus and Criseyde - Geoffrey Chaucer
Maud - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Emma - Jane Austen
Paradise Lost - John Milton

Unrequited love
Venus and Adonis - William Shakespeare
The Folly of Being Comforted - W.B.Yeats
The Waves - Virginia Woolf
Warming her Pearls - Carol Ann Duffy
A Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare

Forbidden or transgressive love
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
'Tis Pity She's a Whore - John Ford
The Duchess of Malfi - John Webster
Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - Jeannette Winterson

Familial love
The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot
Morning Song - Sylvia Plath
A Handful of Dust - Evelyn Waugh
The Vortex - Noel Coward
King Lear - Shakespeare

Friendship / Platonic love
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Sonnet 104 - Shakespeare
Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett
The Thing in the Forest - A.S. Byatt

Love lost or betrayed
A Doll's House - Henrik Ibsen
Neutral Tones - Thomas Hardy
Testament of Youth - Vera Brittain
After You'd Gone - Maggie O'Farrell
In Memoriam - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Poem 1789 - Emily Dickinson
Absent of Thee I Languish Still - John Wilmot

Marriage and Proposals
The Painted Veil - W. Somerset Maugham
On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan
Hard Times - Charles Dickens
King Lear - William Shakespeare
Any Austen pretty much!
Middlemarch - George Eliot

Love of God, Nature and Country
Oranges are Not the Only Fruit - Jeannette Winterson
On My First Daughter - Ben Jonson
Poems of Christina Rossetti
Poems of Coleridge
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
Henry V - Shakespeare
Richard II -

Remember though, only 30-40% of your essays should be on wider reading, so don't focus more on wider reading than exam practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending