The Student Room Group

What are the axioms of a ring and field??

I have to following axioms:

A1) a+bϵR,a,bϵR a+b \epsilon R, \forall a,b \epsilon R

A2) a+b=b+a,a,bϵR a+b = b+a, \forall a,b \epsilon R

A3) (a+b)+c=a+(b+c),a,b,cϵR (a+b)+c = a+(b+c), \forall a,b,c \epsilon R

A4) 0ϵRs.t,a+0=a=0+a,aϵR \exists 0 \epsilon R s.t, a+0 = a = 0+a, \forall a \epsilon R

A5) bϵRs.t,a+b=0=b+a,aϵR \exists b \epsilon R s.t, a+b = 0 = b+a, \forall a \epsilon R

M1) abϵR,a,bϵR a \cdot b \epsilon R, \forall a,b \epsilon R

M2) ab=ba,a,bϵR a \cdot b = b \cdot a, \forall a,b \epsilon R

M3) (ab)c=a(bc),a,b,cϵR (a \cdot b) \cdot c = a \cdot (b \cdot c), \forall a,b,c \epsilon R

M4) 1RϵRs.t,a1R=a=1Ra,aϵR \exists 1_{R} \epsilon R s.t, a \cdot 1_{R} = a = 1_{R} \cdot a, \forall a \epsilon R

M5) bϵRs.t,ab=1R=ba,aϵR \exists b \epsilon R s.t, a \cdot b = 1_{R} = b \cdot a, \forall a \epsilon R

D1) a(b+c)=ab+ac,a,b,cϵR a \cdot (b+c) = a \cdot b + a \cdot c, \forall a,b,c \epsilon R

D2) (a+b)c=ac+bc,a,b,cϵR (a+b) \cdot c = a \cdot c + b \cdot c, \forall a,b,c \epsilon R

Z) If,ab=0,then,a=0,b=0,or,a=b=0,a,bϵR If, a \cdot b = 0, then, a = 0, b = 0, or, a = b = 0, \forall a,b \epsilon R

I want to know which ones you need to CHECK to make sure something is a field of ring.

Wiki says you need A1) - A5), M1), M3), M4), D1) and D2) for a ring and for a field you need the previous axioms along with M2) and M5).

My problem is my lecture notes do not mention closure (which I think is incorrect) also neither does my textbook (Rings, Fields and Groups: An Introduction to Abstract Algebra - I think this again is wrong, but makes me doubt myself more) also in the textbook, it says that you need Z for a field. Is this true or does this just become true due to the presence of the other axioms??

Please remember I want the axioms, and therefore the things you must check to see if a set is a Ring/Field. If for example Z is true, but is just induced due to the presence of the other axioms, please state that.

Thanks for any help, rep will be given!

(P.S. Please excuse my LaTeX, I didn't put any spaces in!)
Reply 1
Z is the condition for a ring to be an integral domain. It can be deduced from the existence of a multiplicative inverse in fields (M5) - if ab=0 and a0a \not= 0, what is a1aba^{-1}ab?

Obviously you do need closure for a ring, but I think having well-defined operations implies closure, so you don't always need to write it down.
Reply 2
Original post by sonofdot
Z is the condition for a ring to be an integral domain. It can be deduced from the existence of a multiplicative inverse in fields (M5) - if ab=0 and a0a \not= 0, what is a1aba^{-1}ab?

Obviously you do need closure for a ring, but I think having well-defined operations implies closure, so you don't always need to write it down.

if ab=0 and a0a \not= 0, what is a1aba^{-1}ab? 0

Thank you for your answer, but just to be clear are you saying that wiki is correct??

The link for a ring is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(mathematics)

and for a field is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)

Reply 3
Original post by adie_raz
if ab=0 and a0a \not= 0, what is a1aba^{-1}ab? 0

Thank you for your answer, but just to be clear are you saying that wiki is correct??

The link for a ring is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(mathematics)

and for a field is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)

:yep: I think the article is right. a1ab=ba^{-1} a b = b so b=0 and Z can be deduced to be true.
Reply 4
Original post by sonofdot
:yep: I think the article is right. a1ab=ba^{-1} a b = b so b=0 and Z can be deduced to be true.

Reply 5
My problem is my lecture notes do not mention closure (which I think is incorrect) also neither does my textbook (Rings, Fields and Groups: An Introduction to Abstract Algebra - I think this again is wrong, but makes me doubt myself more) also in the textbook, it says that you need Z for a field. Is this true or does this just become true due to the presence of the other axioms?

For closure, you probably have the operations defined as functions RxR -> R. That ensures closure so it's not given as a numbered axiom. But you still need to check it. Eg, if you're showing that some set of matrices is a ring, you need to multiply two of them together to check the result still has the same form and hence show that multiplication really is a function RxR -> R.
Reply 6
Original post by SsEe
For closure, you probably have the operations defined as functions RxR -> R. That ensures closure so it's not given as a numbered axiom. But you still need to check it. Eg, if you're showing that some set of matrices is a ring, you need to multiply two of them together to check the result still has the same form and hence show that multiplication really is a function RxR -> R.

Thanks very much, indeed the operations are defined as RxR -> R :smile:
Reply 7
Another question on the same lines:

F* = F \ {0} correct??

This is supposed to be true, but due to axiom M5), surely this F* = F as all elements of F are already invertible...
Reply 8
So for a field we have every NON-ZERO element is invertible, not every element is invertible, therefore fields contain zero as an element??
Reply 9
So for a field we have every NON-ZERO element is invertible, not every element is invertible, therefore fields contain zero as an element??

Your conclusion is correct, but your reasoning is ... roundabout. Fields have a zero element simply because fields are a special kind of ring.
Reply 10
Original post by Zhen Lin
Your conclusion is correct, but your reasoning is ... roundabout. Fields have a zero element simply because fields are a special kind of ring.

Thank you for confirming :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest