The Student Room Group

Hate myself when I look ino the miror 3/4 of the time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by i.am.lost
Gonna chime in here as another trich person. It can be arbitrary but more often than not tends to happen when I'm feeling like crap.

thanks for your imput :wink:
you getting any treatment for it that you find helpful?
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
1 question,do you compulsively ,like every day pull out hair,or only when you re stressed,feel like cr*p?

Mad Cat Lady,are you getting any type of treatment for it,if so what?
Im gona try to get a diagnosis to make sure I have dermatilomania,most likely that I do... and see where I go from there

Yes, every time I sit still, whether its on the bus or like I am now on a computer, I can't help it, I don't even realise I'm doing it.

I'm not getting any kind of treatment cause I can't seem to find anyone who knows enough about it. I mean a clinical psychologist came into my school to give a talk and I asked her about it afterwards, and she said there was nothing wrong with me! Which was a little insulting, considering it practically ruins my life...

If you can find anywhere that can help you, please tell me about it! I don't mind if you PM me, I won't tell anyone who you are :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Mad Cat Lady
Yes, every time I sit still, whether its on the bus or like I am now on a computer, I can't help it, I don't even realise I'm doing it.

I'm not getting any kind of treatment cause I can't seem to find anyone who knows enough about it. I mean a clinical psychologist came into my school to give a talk and I asked her about it afterwards, and she said there was nothing wrong with me! Which was a little insulting, considering it practically ruins my life...

If you can find anywhere that can help you, please tell me about it! I don't mind if you PM me, I won't tell anyone who you are :smile:

I now they have some skin picking forums,I havent looked for trich forums,but maybe there are some...
wikipedia mentions CBT,I m not sure about it though.
Wow! Pretty insulting,Im sorry to hear that.:frown: Yep,mine has ruined my life too,its so embarrasing,at least I guess you can wear a hat,for me make up gets expensive + doesnt always cover everything... at least Im a girls ,so that wearing make up is an option.
You also get the "I hate you" thoughts,I guess?
thanks for your imput :wink:
you getting any treatment for it that you find helpful?

I slowly learned to cope with it, learning to recognise the signs and situations that might lead me to compulsive pulling and stepping out of that. It took a lot mentally but I've learned to manage it.
my skin and my hair,who I am am inside + out

:frown: I used to hate my skin too, well I've had acne since I was 11 and only now it is almost gone so I have some scarring. My hair is a bit boring but I try and change it up just so I feel I've made an effort.

I guess I don't hate myself because I've just accepted who I am. I'm not going to say it was easy or quick but slowly I stopped hating but just started accepting.

I try to make time to make an effort, be that getting a different hair cut, buying new clothes or spending more time with friends.
Reply 26
Original post by RequiemForADream
It doesn't make me hate myself, it just makes me sad that the way I look is undermining my personality :frown:

I've felt this way before. Hit the gym thrice a week, get a nice hair cut.. and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 27
I slowly learned to cope with it, learning to recognise the signs and situations that might lead me to compulsive pulling and stepping out of that. It took a lot mentally but I've learned to manage it.

Im glad to hear that,well done!:biggrin:
I now they have some skin picking forums,I havent looked for trich forums,but maybe there are some...
wikipedia mentions CBT,I m not sure about it though.
Wow! Pretty insulting,Im sorry to hear that.:frown: Yep,mine has ruined my life too,its so embarrasing,at least I guess you can wear a hat,for me make up gets expensive + doesnt always cover everything... at least Im a girls ,so that wearing make up is an option.
You also get the "I hate you" thoughts,I guess?

Forums? You mean on TSR? I suppose internet support would be really helpful actually, don't know why I didn't think about it before...
Problem with being a girl with trich though is I can't run around wearing different hats all my life, and I can't just shave my head like boys can!
Yes, I do get "I hate you" thoughts, I mean the gym can't shift my weight and nothing will help my acne and I just do the stupidest things sometimes... it's annoying.

How long have you had it for?

It started around 4 years ago.
Reply 30
Watch that documentary about Katie Piper (god bless her) and you will be grateful for what you have
Reply 31
Forums? You mean on TSR? I suppose internet support would be really helpful actually, don't know why I didn't think about it before...
Problem with being a girl with trich though is I can't run around wearing different hats all my life, and I can't just shave my head like boys can!
Yes, I do get "I hate you" thoughts, I mean the gym can't shift my weight and nothing will help my acne and I just do the stupidest things sometimes... it's annoying.

Here ,ther are a couple : http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=6&oq=trichtotillomania+&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACAW_enSE332SE332&q=trichotillomania+forum

I feel your pain.I want to win this battle,but Im struggling
it s not that easy ,you go to a public toliet and its there,you check for pieces of food in your teeth in the ,you check your hair so it doesnt look like you just got out of bed (and I might have dermatillomania.)

The 1/4 the angry thought"I hate you" doesnt come into my head because my mind is on other stuff or Im in a rush,but that doesnt stop me from thinking ughhh,I look dreadful yet again!

im the same! i think i suffer brom BDD which is Body dysmorphic disorder. maybe you do too..
ummm i hate myself all the time (and who could blame me the way i look) but i avoid mirrors at all costs and apply fake confidence!

works a treat :biggrin: im sure gorgeous! but pictures would help (im just saying it before the male population of TSR get a hold of this thread, lol) :h: chin up chick xx
Reply 34
We all do stupid things,some ppl are more likely to admit it than others,after all nobodys perfect.

rish15,I just watched it,Im still in shock that someone would do that to another human,although I had heard a similar story of a man wanting to punish his wife for looking at other men,he completely destroyed her face the f***in c*nt,she left him even though her mother wouldnt support her decision,one of those arranged marriages...

I am grateful that I dont have this,but that doesnt help me to stop those thoughts of hating myself.
Reply 35
im the same! i think i suffer brom BDD which is Body dysmorphic disorder. maybe you do too..

I think dermatillomania is a form of BDD,from what Ive read...

shy-girl666,I dont have any pics,I avoid being in them,as I think I look awful in them

Thanks, thats really helpful! :biggrin: We can do this!

Just out of interest, what is that?
Reply 37
Thanks, thats really helpful! :biggrin: We can do this!

Just out of interest, what is that?
see here http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Body+dysmorphic+syndrome;)
Reply 38
Dermatillomania can be a compulsion of body dysmorphic disorder (BDD).

A documentary film exploring trichotillomania, Bad Hair Life, was the 2003 winner of the International Health & Medical Media Award for best film in psychiatry and the winner of the 2004 Superfest Film Festival Merit Award.[23][24][25]

info on trich : http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Trichotillomania

Ah. That does not sound like fun. D: Hope you guys are ok!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending