The Student Room Group

Help With Choices!?

Poll

Is a BTEC Level 3 In ICT Worth It?

Im in year 11, predicted to get A*-C at GCSE in most of my subjects (10)
I'm not fussed on A levels because I don't really enjoy school that well :/

I do want a good career though..

The 2 courses i was interested in where 3 BTEC'S. They where...

Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in ICT
Pathway's to Apprentiships.. Level 3 BTEC (mechanical engineering)

I enjoy ICT in school and i am quite good at it. I have never done engineering because im doing GCSE's but my friend is doing it now and i have a little general idea on what it's about.

I was just wondering which one could get me the most money in the long term because i do not know many high paid ICT jobs etc but i know if you get an apprentiship in engineering it can be okay money.

The BTEC ICT course is 3 days a week 9-4 but the engineering course is 9-5 4 days and 1 day until 7 :O that is one thing that puts me off because i would like to have a day off but is it worth it or not?

The advantages and disadvantages are quite equal to me at the moment and i need help!

Anyone help with any of these questions a good answer is needed!
Thanks!

P.s.. i would like to know if a BTEC is really worth 3 a levels as someone told me it's not? like does uni take a BTEC in ICT.

Big answer needed, sorry. WILL +REP
Reply 1
Hi xx im nearly finishing my A levels and i wish i would have thought about it and done something else i didnt like school all that much when i was your age and was predicted the same grades do something your going to enjoy i have hated my A levels and tbh so have most of my mates think hard about what YOU really want to do and enjoy yourself!!! xxx
Reply 2
There is nothing stopping you getting a good career by the way not that many people i no went and did A levels and have quite good jobs actually. And you could still go to uni after your BTEC x
(edited 13 years ago)
In my college a lot of people are quite anti BTEC, but I think it's silly, and I think they're definately worth the same as A-levels, so I wouldn't worry about that.

A lot of uni's take BTEC's, but it depends where you want to go! Some uni's (generally the more academic/less vocational ones like Oxbridge and some of the Russel Group) don't take BTEC's, and will only accept A-levels, but there are a LOT of good university's out there that are more than willing to accept BTEC's :smile: so I wouldn't let this bother you unless you want to go the Durham or something.

As for the choice between ICT and engineering, that's probably more up to you. Either way, you would be able to apply for Uni, but am I right in thinking that the engineering one leads to an apprentiship?

I think that the engineering option would be quite scientific, so that's something to think about :smile: and there would be a lot more to learn initially because you don't already have a foundation in it whereas you do in I.C.T. (which is probably why it has more days a week) However, it can lead to things such as Aerospace engineering, which sounds fascinating to me!

I think you'll just hae to weigh up the pro's and con's again: which are you more interested in? Which do you think you'll be better at?

Good luck choosing! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by callumccfc
IP

I will help answer your question in detail however i need more information what uni are you looking at going to? cause tbh this is the variable into your decisions, I personally did BTEC because it was less work compared to A levels and i still can go to good uni :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
thankyou itsaname... I live in wales, for the uni by the way. and yes it does lead to an appretiship and not usually as much to uni, but im not sure wether i would go to uni yet as it is a few years away

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending