The Student Room Group

is it true that 9 fails with less than 55 minors added together = driving test pass??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shinytoy
is it true that if you fail 9x but have a total of less than 55 minors you pass automatically?

anyone done this? how do they check - do you need to keep all your green sheets or what?

No, I think you get shot instead.
Reply 21
I find it hard to believe that shinytoy is a real person.
Reply 22
I heard if you go forwards and back 3 times then beep twice it's an automatic pass.
Reply 23
Original post by DominF
I heard if you go forwards and back 3 times then beep twice it's an automatic pass.

Forwards, Backwards, Forwards, Backwards, Left, Right, Left, Right, Horn, Handbrake.

Cheat mode unlocked!
is it true that if you fail 9x but have a total of less than 55 minors you pass automatically?

anyone done this? how do they check - do you need to keep all your green sheets or what?

Ive never heard anything about this and like others have said- i very much doubt its true.
Reply 25
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive never heard anything about this and like others have said- i very much doubt its true.

i think i also saw it on yahoo! answers
i think i also saw it on yahoo! answers

Look on yahoo and see if you can find out anything about it- if you can, we would love to see it.
Reply 27
i dunno - my mates said it was cos by getting under 6 minors on each, you show good general driving. an instructor has to pass his test with under 6 minors too so it might be right

I'm almost certain that in order to teach someone else to drive and gain your ADI badge, you firstly have to hold a full driving license, as well as being over the age of 21 and then take a course to train to be a driving instructor.They also have to have their driving assessed every year .If what you say in the quote is true then that would mean that someone who really shouldnt be on the road, is able to teach others?.I dont think so somehow.....

We need TSRs driving instructor, think her name is Emma Ashley, in here to clear this up.
i dunno - my mates said it was cos by getting under 6 minors on each, you show good general driving. an instructor has to pass his test with under 6 minors too so it might be right

So what you're saying is that technically you could get a dangerous fault on each test but as long as you get less than 6 minors you're a good driver :O

I don't think so.
Reply 29
Original post by Emma:-)
Look on yahoo and see if you can find out anything about it- if you can, we would love to see it.

no i tried googling for it but i cant find it again. it was someone just posted a response saying "if you fail 9 times but have less than 55 minors (averaging 6 in each) you pass automatically" but i culdnt find it on DSA website??
Obviously not.
Reply 31
Original post by Panda Bear
If you fail your driving test 9 times you should be banned from driving forever.

Original post by Philbert
That is completely absurd. If you've failed nine tests, I think it's fair to say you shouldn't be on the road.

Original post by kat2pult
No to both of the above :sigh: , and if anyone fails 9 tests then they shouldn't be on the roads.

Whilst that might be true in some cases, others can be fantastic drivers, but suffer from nerves under pressure. Just having someone sitting there, knowing they are judging you on your every action, to make a decision that can change something quite big in your life, can be very off putting to some, enough to make one mistake that they never normally would.

Some things you can fail for, mistakes on the maneuvers for example, are things that you wouldn't really need to do regularly. If you're needing to do a turn in the road every day (unless you live in a cul-de-sac where it is necessary to get out of your road) then I think you're sense of direction is more the problem, which could be more dangerous than some things you could be failed for. It really depends on what you're failing on as to whether you genuinely are a bad driver. If you're ignoring road signs and markings, then yes, they probably shouldn't be on the road. But some people are just unlucky.

Original post by kat2pult
No, but I'd be rather anxious sitting in a car when the person driving took more than 5 attempts to do so. My dad took 4 tests and he's an awful driver, my uncle took 6 and he's even worse than my dad. I think there's a definite correlation there.

Having said that, some people who passed first time got lucky.

By your logic, I could deduce that your whole family are **** drivers. In a sample of 2 people from your family, both are bad drivers. That means 100% of the sample are bad drivers. Is this representative of your whole family? I'm sure it isn't. Now, given that there are far more people that have failed at least 3 tests, than there are people in your family, a sample of 2 is even more ridiculous.

Of course, I agree with your final sentence.

Original post by KJane
My teacher passed on her 6th, good luck with yours, but failing at 9? That's like what? £558, they could have brought another like 20 lessons and improved.

I imagine they would have taken extra lessons between those tests.

For the record, I took 6 tests. It was for something different every time...everything else I would do perfect. I blame nerves, as generally, I can be quite a nervous person, not just when put under pressure in something like a test. If it wasn't for the nerves, I am almost certain I could have passed on my 2nd test at the most...but regardless of that, it still made me try that much harder, and I genuinely believe I am a better driver now than I would have been if I'd have passed 2nd time.
Reply 32
my mates said it was cos by getting under 6 minors on each, you show good general driving.
What daffy logic. I think you'll find the serious and dangerous faults on each test would play a bigger part in deciding how "good" the drive is.

an instructor has to pass his test with under 6 minors too so it might be right
An instructor is also allowed only three attempts at their qualifying tests within a two year period. Perhaps it's time that was implemented for learners; it would certainly sharpen up some skills and cull the numbers turning up for test unprepared and trying to wing it.
Original post by mosmof

Original post by mosmof
no, not in any sense at all.

thats like saying; you are almost there so we'll let you pass anyway, it doesn't work like that!

After nine tests and nine fails, surely it would be more like: you are no way near, but we'll let you pass anyway? :wink:
What a brilliant thread!
Some people are utterly brain dead and would believe anything!
If there was ever a case of this happening it was probably the examiner was sick of the sight of the person trying so passed them for the sake of it
Reply 36
Original post by Annie72

We need TSRs driving instructor, think her name is Emma Ashley, in here to clear this up.

You're being far too kind. Emma Ashley (no disrepect) wouldn't help much. Shinytoy needs some common sense with a strong dose of spatial awareness to boot.
TSRs resident driving examiner (Advisor) has already cleared this up - as I suspected it was a ridiculous idea in the first place and I am very glad to hear that it is not the case.
Is the OP in India?
Reply 39
Original post by JoleonLescott
Is the OP in India?

Anyone in India paying to have 9 tests is truly an idiot. Why do that when you can just pay for the license instead? :wink: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest