The Student Room Group

Are they going to fire me!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by needsomehelp121
Why would I make this up? So you think its pathetic and I wont get fired?

I didnt really give a **** when taking the sweets and really didnt think they would either. If I was my manager and I saw a staff member helping themselves to sweets from an open packet, I wouldnt really care but they obviously do. They sent a four page letter explaining some long up thing about being able to bring a trade union member etc. The big emphasis is stealing is stealing no matter how expensive the item is and what it is...so I am worried, my friend and I will get fired for this.

Doesn't sound good for you tbh. But they might give you a reference if you ask nicely...?
Not theft in law in my opinion - I can explain fully if needed.

Make it clear that you thought by the way that you were told that sweets were in the office that you thought you could take one. Even if they don't take it like that, the worst they could do in real terms is a warning - if they try anything else get your fight on for it - unfair dismissal is an expensive thing...
Original post by fruit_n_veg
Not theft in law in my opinion - I can explain fully if needed.

Make it clear that you thought by the way that you were told that sweets were in the office that you thought you could take one. Even if they don't take it like that, the worst they could do in real terms is a warning - if they try anything else get your fight on for it - unfair dismissal is an expensive thing...

What if I cant make that bit clear? I cant really say that because I know its a blatant liej and they know it too. The sweets were stock and I ate them. Even though it was stealing, I didnt intend to steal, dyu know what I mean? I just thought "oh an open packet of sweets, they arent goin to care"
So...if they dont take it like that and take it as me taking something I didnt pay for(which is the view that they clearly have as evident in the letter sent to me); can they fire me for it?
Reply 23
What if I cant make that bit clear? I cant really say that because I know its a blatant liej and they know it too. The sweets were stock and I ate them. Even though it was stealing, I didnt intend to steal, dyu know what I mean? I just thought "oh an open packet of sweets, they arent goin to care"
So...if they dont take it like that and take it as me taking something I didnt pay for(which is the view that they clearly have as evident in the letter sent to me); can they fire me for it?

did you know the sweets were company property and assumed because they were written-off it was ok to eat them?
Original post by leeber
did you know the sweets were company property and assumed because they were written-off it was ok to eat them?

Yes. I didnt think we were allowed BUT I thought it would be ok. I literally just thought, "its just sweets"
Looks like they're going to make an example of you. With luck, it'll be an official warning, they may even make you pay for the sweets.
Stealing from your employer counts under employment law as gross misconduct, for which you can be fired without warning. However, nicking a couple of sweeties (while technically it is stealing) is hardly claiming extra expenses or loading up with merchandise at the end of the day. However, being taken to tribunal for something like this is just silly. If other people ate them too, they should be brought up as well- it's only fair.

Let’s now go back a stage. Say your theft from work amounts to little more than a few envelopes, a stapler, or some stamps in other words a mini-raid on the stationery cupboard. Whilst this could lead to gross misconduct, an employment tribunal would consider wider factors such as:
Was the offence serious enough to destroy the contractual relationship between you and the employer?
Whether correct procedures were used, taking into consideration the law and the resources and size of your employer
Whether the employer’s response was within a band of responses that a reasonable employer would take
Whether the employer considered alternative sanctions e.g. a transfer, demotion or suspension
Whether mitigating factors were taken into account, such as your past history, age, position, length of service and previous warnings

To put some of the above factors into context, while it might be reasonable to instantly dismiss a relatively new employee who is helping himself to the employer’s stationery, it might not be as reasonable to instantly dismiss a long-standing employee with a good track record.
- http://www.jobsite.co.uk/insider/office-politics-petty-theft-at-work-2933/
Reply 26
I thought it was relevant because some people might not know what "write offs" are. I was trying to explain that these sweets were write offs and not just some sweets a staff member may have brought in.

I know everyone here is saying they wont fire you for taking sweets and I thought this too which is why I took the sweets without caring BUT the letter s[pecifically says that stealing is stealing and that although its sweets, its still stealing. And it says we stock sweets that are more expensive than some of the jewellery we sell, would I steal that too? So basicaly what they are trying to say is even though it was just sweets, I still stole.

Oh I see - I thought you meant that these sweets were one of the staff members. I thought they were majorly overreacting :P

Erm, I wouldn't think they'd fire you, but you'd probably get a warning or something. It is the stock that you're stealing technically.
Reply 27
Yes. I didnt think we were allowed BUT I thought it would be ok. I literally just thought, "its just sweets"

Legally you were stealing, so they are well within their rights to fire you. you knew the sweets didn't belong to you, yet you still ate them. Where I used to work someone got a final warning for taking something out of the bin! The argument was, it wasn't theirs to take. Stealing = gross misconduct.

All you can do is plead that it was a minor and hopefully get off with a warning OR just lie.

Original post by leeber

Ah, right, that's a a completely different game - that is probably theft. The response will probably still only be a warning in all honesty considering the size of the issue. If you'd stolen cash, that would be a completely different game.
Original post by Nayberay
Probably a warning if that.

Don't sweeat it. All the best. :h:

Reply 30

Ok, I'll keep this short.

When things break they are sent to the office as "write offs" When I came to work, my friend was eating and said there are sweets in the office. I went and took the sweets and ate some and put it back in the office. Theyy were just on the cabinet and I didnt think any thing of it(havent stolen before but I thought this was so minor and that I didnt think for a second that it would matter really.)

Today I was told there is going to be an investigation done on me and that I need to come in for a disciplinary whcih could lead to a warning, formal warning or dismissal.

What do you think will be the outcome? Its a high street fashion shop by the way. And even if they do take stealing seriously, do you think they would fire me for taken a couple of sweets from an open packet!

Is there less likely hood of me getting fired because two other people had the sweets too? Or are we all going down?
:frown: Please help!

Shouldn't they be investigating WHO opened the packet?
They should be the ones in trouble, if at all!
Original post by moody_bum
Shouldn't they be investigating WHO opened the packet?
They should be the ones in trouble, if at all!

It could have just ripped when doing the delivery. Or a customer may have ripped it and then it was sent to the office. :frown: Im going to get fired for taking sweets!
Reply 32
Thanks :smile: I feel better BUT they have fired someone over stealing ear rings before. And this hearing thingy is all about me taking something that I did not pay for so wont the procedures be the same and they wont have no choice but to fire me. Even though it wasnt in good condition and hence was being written off, they emphasised that its still stealing.
Its gona take place in that same office. I just want to know what will happen!

Also, until saturday where this disciplinary will take place, I am suspended on full pay...what does that mean? suspended and not getting paid or getting paid whilst being suspended?

Earringssweets Earrings\not=sweets

You should be fairly ok, especially as someone else was eating them.

_Kar.
Reply 33

It could have just ripped when doing the delivery. Or a customer may have ripped it and then it was sent to the office. :frown: Im going to get fired for taking sweets!

Did the other girl not eat some too? Or did she just point it out to you?
Why didn't she tell you not to eat them?

Seems a bit weird. And how did they know it was you?
If I were you, I would try and sweet talk your boss into letting you off.

You're such a sweet person, it would be a shame if they fired you, but given the way things are in the economy these days, some companies will use any old excuse to cut down on staff. I'd say you're likely to get a warning. You're best bet is to admit it and be honest as if they have you on camera and you lie, you'll be sacked immediately. You do realise as well, that you have an obligation to your employer to tell them that the other people in question also took the sweets too dont you? If they find out at a later date that you knew and didn't tell them you can get done for witholding information.
Original post by moody_bum
Did the other girl not eat some too? Or did she just point it out to you?
Why didn't she tell you not to eat them?

Seems a bit weird. And how did they know it was you?

There was at one guy eating them and he told me there was another guy too...

And they have cctv footage.
I don't see the big deal tbh, though did you ask whoevers sweets they are permission before eating them? You'll probably get an unofficial warning, firing would be ridiculous.
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
If I were you, I would try and sweet talk your boss into letting you off.

You're such a sweet person, it would be a shame if they fired you, but given the way things are in the economy these days, some companies will use any old excuse to cut down on staff. I'd say you're likely to get a warning. You're best bet is to admit it and be honest as if they have you on camera and you lie, you'll be sacked immediately. You do realise as well, that you have an obligation to your employer to tell them that the other people in question also took the sweets too dont you? If they find out at a later date that you knew and didn't tell them you can get done for witholding information.

I just checked my employee handbook. It says that suspension(which is what I have been given) is given when someone has acted in gross misconduct. And although I have a disciplinary hearing and dont know the outcome of that; the employee handbook says an act of gross misconduct includes theft or attempted theft, (and a list of other things), but that was top of the list. It also says that acts of gross micsonduct usually results in summary dismissal :frown:

I cant believe this is happening. Can you think of anything I can say to persuade them otherwise? I was planning on telling the complete truth because I dont really think the truth is that bad! I wont snitch on my friends though even I do get done for it, I cant do that to them.
Original post by Crazy Paving
I don't see the big deal tbh, though did you ask whoevers sweets they are permission before eating them? You'll probably get an unofficial warning, firing would be ridiculous.

They were the companies sweets, i.e they were going to sell them but had to write them off as they were in bad condition. Therefore I was "stealing" their stock by eating them...

Now do you think firing me would be ridiculous?

They were the companies sweets, i.e they were going to sell them but had to write them off as they were in bad condition. Therefore I was "stealing" their stock by eating them...

Now do you think firing me would be ridiculous?

Ohhh, I see, I was a bit confused there, I thought you meant personal sweets. :o: Well, in that case, they'll either make you pay for whatever price they would be, or give you an official warning. If we did that at work, we'd get that, alternatively they give the written off chocolate out as prizes for opening storecards, so you could redeem yourself in some way. Firing is over the top, it's not like you're stealing £200 jackets from them, intentionally.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending