The Student Room Group

'I don't like the taste of alcohol'

If you say this, your an idiot.

Have you tried every single alcoholic beverage on sale?
and i'm not being ridiculous and including random, unknown and rare things. But go to a club, bar, restaurant etc and ask for every single alcoholic drink available. That includes every single 'mix'. If you don't like anything, something is wrong with you.

I hate vodka.
I love vodka and coke.
(Only comparison i can make, cuz im just a cider/beer drinker)

Seriously, if people are going to use this excuse for not drinking, then maybe they should look around for more variations of drinks instead of basing their opinion on 'oh ye i've tried some vodka, had a shot.. tried my mates pint of cider, don't like it, must hate it all'

Essentially, if you say you don't like the taste of alcohol, you just haven;t tried enough drinks.
Rant over =]
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry.
Reply 2
Anyone that says that needs to grow a pair and take it like a man.

ok. :smile: some people just dont like alcohol and there is nothing wrong with that. :dontknow:
I really don't see the big deal with people not drinking...if they don't like that taste, so what? Really going to get that wound up about other people's preferences? it is never social drinking anymore, it's a competition to who can get more drunk...and that's probably why people don't like drinking...
Reply 5
jagerbombs ftw
Reply 6
Well I imagine for someone who isn't accustomed to drinking, spirits neat must taste like bonafide arse water.

I do love alcohol though; ale, rum, whisky, wine...and they should never be mixed with soft drinks. Which is usefull as I work as a bartender.
Reply 7
Who drinks alcohol for the taste? :s-smilie:

Sure, you can flood the alcohol with something fizzy or sweet, but that doesn't mean you like the taste of alcohol.
Reply 8
Original post by Tommyjw

and i'm not being ridiculous and including random, unknown and rare things. But go to a club, bar, restaurant etc and ask for every single alcoholic drink available. That includes every single 'mix'. If you don't like anything, something is wrong with you.

I hate vodka.
I love vodka and coke.

Seriously, if people are going to use this excuse for not drinking, then maybe they should look around for more variations of drinks instead of basing their opinion on 'oh ye i've tried some vodka, had a shot.. tried my mates pint of cider, don't like it, must hate it all'

Rant over =]

Enough said.
Reply 9
I understand that some may not like alcohol, and that's absolutely fine by me. One of my flatmates doesn't drink alcohol because she's concerned that if she drinks too much, she'll lose control and do silly things- the sort of thing that a lot of students WANT to happen, but as she wouldn't enjoy it, there's no point her putting herself through it just because it's 'socially acceptable'.

What I don't understand, however, is the taste argument. Does alcohol really have a single taste? As you said, add a mixer to alcohol and a lot of the time you can't even taste the vodka or rum or brandy or whatever. Another good example is the fact that I've always hated pear cider, but I've recently discovered Kopparberg, in particular the strawberry and lime flavour, and I absolutely love it! So even a particular alcohol such as cider doesn't seem to have a single 'taste'. And if alcohol did have a single taste, then you wouldn't get people saying that they prefer one thing over another. It's something I've never quite been able to comprehend (unless I'm missing some blearingly obvious point here, which anyone is free to point out).
I think what OP is trying to say that the frankly huge range of alcopops and things available that saying that you don't like a taste just can't be true. I mean, a Smirnoff Ice tastes of lemonade, and nothing else.
Reply 11
Original post by musicfreak2410
I really don't see the big deal with people not drinking...if they don't like that taste, so what? Really going to get that wound up about other people's preferences? it is never social drinking anymore, it's a competition to who can get more drunk...and that's probably why people don't like drinking...

No, and thats a very misguided view.

People who say they do not like the taste, have no right to say that unless they have tried every single drink and mix available , which i highly doubt anyone has.
Reply 12
Original post by Tommyjw

I hate vodka.
I love vodka and coke.

Rant over =]

Alcohol does have a taste. Some people don't like that taste. You are an idiot.
I quite enjoy both the taste and the deleterious effects.
The point I think the OP is trying to make is that you shouldn't say "I don't like the taste" as an excuse, rather you should just say "I don't want to drink alcohol".
Reply 15
Original post by Tommyjw

People who say they do not like the taste, have no right to say that unless they have tried every single drink and mix available , which i highly doubt anyone has.

Do you have to try every flavour of **** before declaring you don't like the taste of ****? No.

Again, you are an idiot.
You are an idiot for even posting this thread. If someone says they do not like the taste of alcohol it is their opinion. You cannot ridicule a person for that and expect them to taste every single alcohol ever made on this earth before they are "allowed" to form the opinion.

Besides most alcohols have the same basic alcoholic taste and smell, in essence they are all the same some are strong some are sweet others sour but either way they still have the same basic taste.
The fact that you have to mix alcohol with soft drinks goes to show how foul alcohol is. Not many people drink it for the taste anyway.
Reply 17
Original post by Thomm
Alcohol does have a taste. Some people don't like that taste. You are an idiot.

Cider tastes different than spirits
Spirits taste different than beer
Beer tastes different than rum
Etc etc etc.
So no, it does not have 'one single tase', that is an idiotic comment to make.

Original post by Thomm
Do you have to try every flavour of **** before declaring you don't like the taste of ****? No.

Again, you are an idiot.

Actually, yes, you do.

If i have never eaten sandwiches before, and say i don't like the taste of the ingredients of two i have eaten, does that mean i wouldn't like any other filling inside it?
Original post by Tommyjw

what makes you think you can go around saying that "I have no right?"...seriously, get a life and stop telling people what they can and can't do!
Original post by Thomm

Again, you are an idiot.

:rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest