The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bumbl
Also have you already applied for Student Finance?
Submitted my application yesterday.
Reply 1301
I'm so annoyed, I posted this reply 2 nights ago -_- it obviously didn't post.

Original post by Ca11ie
Thanks, I'm sure I'll be fine with the conditions, an offer from Cambridge just seems too good to be true! For days after the call telling me I'd got in I half expected someone to phone up saying it was a prank - just me being paranoid =L
So which subjects are you doing this year?

Haha don't worry, two and a half months later, it still hasn't sunk in for me either! I can never believe it :smile:
I recieved my offer via email and I was always worried that they had sent it to me by mistake! I was waiting for the Christ's admissions officer to email me back and say "Sorry, that was a mistake!", but then a couple of weeks later track updated and I received my letter n the post, so I was fine :biggrin:

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Music :smile: (everyone always raises an eyebrow when I say Music at the end :P) What about you? what subjects are you doing?

Original post by katey_doodles
I know, right? :tongue: I walked into formroom the other day to the tune of 'I'd rather be at Oxford' haha, much to my disbelief! :lol:
Yeah, it is absolutely gorgeous. When I went to the open days, it just seemed to tick all of my boxes! So regardless of what other people say, I'll continue to maintain that it's pretty sweet :biggrin:

Ahhh that's unreal! Even doing 5 subjects...kudos! I'd never be fit for that. I'm sure you'll do absolutely brilliantly :biggrin: I know the feeling though, I have six horrendous exams in the space of a week...it's going to be the worst week of my life!

Haha! Yeah, anytime anyone says they're doing a scientific subject, it automatically reduces down to 'something sciency' in my head. I just can't differentiate between them all (terrible I know, but the science part of my brain is seriously underdevelopped!)

Phew. Unless this mystery guy is actually a girl in disguise and you are him/her? (That sentence hurt my head quite a bit haha.) Hmm..I guess not. I suppose we can safely assume there's more than one NatSci student at Christ's :wink: :biggrin:

Haha no one at school knows the I'd rather be at Oxford song YET :P But I should probably learn it so I can sing it to my friend in the year above at St. Johns :biggrin:
You were lucky that you got to visit Cambridge before choosing your colleges - I had to just look at prospectuses and photos. Christ's was the only one that seemed to tick all my boxes :smile: When I went for my interview, I was stunned by how much I felt at home there - it was the most bizarre feeling. It was my first time there and I loved it :smile: (I was lucky in my choice of college, I guess! :biggrin:)

5 subjects isn't too bad, you just need to make sure you keep motivated and keep at it. The hardest thing is that recently the school shut due to political unrest in the Middle East region, so we ended up teaching ourself some of the course, which is actually quite difficult to do when the country you live in is somewhat crumbling :/ and Thank you :smile:

Well, I'm going to have to get you started on developing the Science part of your brain then!
Lets go for some easy ones for starters: Physics (lots of space and stuff), Chemistry (mixing lots of chemicals together), Biology (Plants and Animals and stuff) :biggrin:

Uh, no, I'm most certainly a girl, not a man disguised as a girl xD hhahaha. I think normally there are about 30 natscis at Christ's :smile:
How many Vet Med students are there in total? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1302
Original post by kpatb
Haha don't worry, two and a half months later, it still hasn't sunk in for me either! I can never believe it :smile:
I received my offer via email and I was always worried that they had sent it to me by mistake! I was waiting for the Christ's admissions officer to email me back and say "Sorry, that was a mistake!", but then a couple of weeks later track updated and I received my letter n the post, so I was fine :biggrin:

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Music :smile: (everyone always raises an eyebrow when I say Music at the end :P) What about you? what subjects are you doing?

I'm doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish (Advanced Highers).
I normally get a bit of a raised eyebrow too, thanks to Spanish! I have a couple of friends doing almost exactly the same subjects as you, and they always get people saying: "What?! Music?!" :P
Where are you from? I live in Edinburgh :smile:
Reply 1303
Original post by Ca11ie
I'm doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish (Advanced Highers).
I normally get a bit of a raised eyebrow too, thanks to Spanish! I have a couple of friends doing almost exactly the same subjects as you, and they always get people saying: "What?! Music?!" :P
Where are you from? I live in Edinburgh :smile:

I'm doing A levels :smile:
hahaha, yes your subjects are an unusual combination also, but I personally love the total contrast of the sciences with Music :smile: It's great and a nice way for me to relax!
Actually there are very few people I know who do Music as well as theo ther subjects I do - I would love to meet more people who do!

I live in the Middle East but I'm from all over the place :P
Edinburgh - I 've heard it's beautiful!
I guess you'll have no problem with the weather in Cambridge, unlike me, who's accustomed to about 45 degrees Celsius summers :P
Original post by kpatb

You heard wrong.

Disclaimer: As a Glaswegian I'm obliged to hate Edinburgh so this may have influenced the above statemetnt.
Original post by Ca11ie
:biggrin:

Hiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I have a vet med offer too :smile: I haven't spoken to any vets yet so this is exciting!! What college you at, can't be bothered to trawl through the thread :smile: I'm John's (yeah you'd probably rather be at Oxford but shh), wish I could get in touch with the other two vets there!! It's strange there will only be a few of us. Anyway... nice to find a vetty friend :smile:

ANY OTHER VETS AROUND??
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kpatb
I'm so annoyed, I posted this reply 2 nights ago -_- it obviously didn't post.

Haha no one at school knows the I'd rather be at Oxford song YET :P But I should probably learn it so I can sing it to my friend in the year above at St. Johns :biggrin:
You were lucky that you got to visit Cambridge before choosing your colleges - I had to just look at prospectuses and photos. Christ's was the only one that seemed to tick all my boxes :smile: When I went for my interview, I was stunned by how much I felt at home there - it was the most bizarre feeling. It was my first time there and I loved it :smile: (I was lucky in my choice of college, I guess! :biggrin:)

5 subjects isn't too bad, you just need to make sure you keep motivated and keep at it. The hardest thing is that recently the school shut due to political unrest in the Middle East region, so we ended up teaching ourself some of the course, which is actually quite difficult to do when the country you live in is somewhat crumbling :/ and Thank you :smile:

Well, I'm going to have to get you started on developing the Science part of your brain then!
Lets go for some easy ones for starters: Physics (lots of space and stuff), Chemistry (mixing lots of chemicals together), Biology (Plants and Animals and stuff) :biggrin:

Uh, no, I'm most certainly a girl, not a man disguised as a girl xD hhahaha. I think normally there are about 30 natscis at Christ's :smile:
How many Vet Med students are there in total? :smile:

Haha definitely do! What does your friend study? :smile:
I knowwww, isn't it the weirdest thing? It was exactly the same with me, I just felt so...comfortable in John's :smile: Christ's is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l, I actually considered applying there!

Oh noooo, that must be tough :/ I'm sure you'll be alright though. What better motivation than the Cambridge folk wanting you to come and study with them? :biggrin:

Haha! Rightttt...so lemme get this straight. Physics = stars...Bio = leaves...Chem = explosions? Got it! :biggrin:

Okay, I think I may be being dense here (it's been a loooooong day!) but I don't get your question about VetMeds? I'm feeling a little slow today :tongue:

Original post by Smelly Ellie
I'm John's (yeah you'd probably rather be at Oxford but shh)

WELL HEY THERE ELLIE :smile:
Reply 1307
Original post by kpatb
hahaha, yes your subjects are an unusual combination also, but I personally love the total contrast of the sciences with Music :smile: It's great and a nice way for me to relax!
Actually there are very few people I know who do Music as well as theo ther subjects I do - I would love to meet more people who do!

I live in the Middle East but I'm from all over the place :P
I guess you'll have no problem with the weather in Cambridge, unlike me, who's accustomed to about 45 degrees Celsius summers :P

Oh yeah, Cambridge'll be like the Caribbean for me :smile:
Ouch, English winters will be a bit of a shock for you I should think! :P
And yes, Edinburgh is lovely (and these last couple of days have been really summery, for once!). Oh dear, I'm talking about the weather. Living up to the stereotype there! =L
Unfortunately neither of my friends which the science/music combination will be at Cambridge =( One didn't apply, and one got rejected (which I am still completely mystified by, I thought they had a much better chance than I did =S )
Original post by katey_doodles

Okay, I think I may be being dense here (it's been a loooooong day!) but I don't get your question about VetMeds? I'm feeling a little slow today :tongue:

WELL HEY THERE ELLIE :smile:

Hey babes :smile: I think she meant how many vets are there, I think about 70? Don't quote me on that :smile:
Reply 1309
Hiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I have a vet med offer too :smile: I haven't spoken to any vets yet so this is exciting!! What college you at, can't be bothered to trawl through the thread :smile: I'm John's (yeah you'd probably rather be at Oxford but shh), wish I could get in touch with the other two vets there!! It's strange there will only be a few of us. Anyway... nice to find a vetty friend :smile:

ANY OTHER VETS AROUND??

Hi there!!!! Great to find another vet =D
My college is Sidney Sussex (and I actually quite liked St John's :P), and there'll only be one other vet there!
I know one other person on the vet course (from real life not tsr), she'll be at Emma. It's weird that they'll only be 75ish people on our course (that's less than half the number in my year at school) but at least we'll be able to get to know everyone quickly :smile:
Original post by Ca11ie
Hi there!!!! Great to find another vet =D
My college is Sidney Sussex (and I actually quite liked St John's :P), and there'll only be one other vet there!
I know one other person on the vet course (from real life not tsr), she'll be at Emma. It's weird that they'll only be 75ish people on our course (that's less than half the number in my year at school) but at least we'll be able to get to know everyone quickly :smile:

I know, there are about a thousand in my year at college! It's crazily small! It means we were very lucky to get in :smile: Proud :biggrin:

I know, there are about a thousand in my year at college! It's crazily small! It means we were very lucky to get in :smile: Proud :biggrin:

I know someone who got into Selwyn for vet med :smile:
(I thought i'd join your chat :tongue: Hi :biggrin:, i'm a future murray edwards medic)
Reply 1312
Original post by nibbler12
You heard wrong.

Disclaimer: As a Glaswegian I'm obliged to hate Edinburgh so this may have influenced the above statemetnt.

=L
Glasgow is great, and has lots going for it, but it can't compete with Edinburgh in looks. You know that is true. :P
Reply 1313

:biggrin: Same, soooo excited!!

Original post by Bubbles2010
I know someone who got into Selwyn for vet med :smile:
(I thought i'd join your chat :tongue: Hi :biggrin:, i'm a future murray edwards medic)

The girl I know with a vet med place at Emma said she'd met someone with a place at Selwyn (she got confused, and thought it was Sidney Sussex. Not as bad as my aunt though, who keeps calling it "Suffolk Sidney" =L)
Original post by Ca11ie

Original post by Ca11ie
:biggrin: Same, soooo excited!!

The girl I know with a vet med place at Emma said she'd met someone with a place at Selwyn (she got confused, and thought it was Sidney Sussex. Not as bad as my aunt though, who keeps calling it "Suffolk Sidney" =L)

Haha, my parents always though that sidney sussex was the 'Australia college' :tongue: as in Sydney :biggrin:
Reply 1315
Haha, my parents always though that sidney sussex was the 'Australia college' :tongue: as in Sydney :biggrin:

Nice XD
Next time anyone asks where I'm going to uni, I'll say 'Sidney' and leave them to jump to that conclusion :P
Murray Edwards is an all girls college, right?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ca11ie
=L
Glasgow is great, and has lots going for it, but it can't compete with Edinburgh in looks. You know that is true. :P

I'm afraid I'm obliged to defend Glasgow til the bitter end...
Original post by Ca11ie

Original post by Ca11ie
Nice XD
Next time anyone asks where I'm going to uni, I'll say 'Sidney' and leave them to jump to that conclusion :P
Murray Edwards is an all girls college, right?

Yeah it is, though i'm not actually too bothered by it anymore :smile: i absoluetly loved it at interviews :biggrin:
Reply 1318
Original post by nibbler12
I'm afraid I'm obliged to defend Glasgow til the bitter end...

Fair enough. Weegies are always stubborn =L
Reply 1319
Yeah it is, though i'm not actually too bothered by it anymore :smile: i absoluetly loved it at interviews :biggrin:

I remember when I was down there on the 'VetCam' open day (did you go on that?) that one of the students doing tours was from Murray Edwards, and she loved it there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending