The Student Room Group

Higher English folio

Hey! My folio has to be in for tomorrow and I stupidly forgot to ask my teacher if for your persuasive essay is it okay to just have a bibliography at the end or do you have to include the source when you use the statistics or whatever it is you're quoting? Like "studies by the...have shown that..." ? Thankyou :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kalou123
Hey! My folio has to be in for tomorrow and I stupidly forgot to ask my teacher if for your persuasive essay is it okay to just have a bibliography at the end or do you have to include the source when you use the statistics or whatever it is you're quoting? Like "studies by the...have shown that..." ? Thankyou :smile:

What I've done is something like this:

The NUWSS's leader Milicent Fawcett had once called the movement "like a...." (1)

Then at the end of the essay

Sources:

(1) www..... etc

That is acceptable
Reply 2
Original post by chr1stopher11
What I've done is something like this:

The NUWSS's leader Milicent Fawcett had once called the movement "like a...." (1)

Then at the end of the essay

Sources:

(1) www..... etc

That is acceptable

Did you use a History essay for your English Discursive?
Reply 3
Thanks so much!! So do you think you have to link it like that? Or could you get away with just having a bibliography?
Reply 4
Thanks so much!! So do you think you have to link it like that? Or could you get away with just having a bibliography?

You could get away with a simple bibiliography: no-one in our class has used foot-notes.
Original post by Quick-use
Did you use a History essay for your English Discursive?

No, but that's the first quote that came into my head :biggrin:. I'm doing my essay on "Contextualizing the coalition's cuts" and it's definitely more of a persuasive rather than a discursive :wink:

What are you doing yours on?
Reply 6
Me? Mines "should recycling be mandatory" I'm not a hippy btw. :wink: recycling's goood but!
Me? Mines "should recycling be mandatory" I'm not a hippy btw. :wink: recycling's goood but!

That seems a good topic, quite topical :smile: I guess you are for it?
Reply 8
No, but that's the first quote that came into my head :biggrin:. I'm doing my essay on "Contextualizing the coalition's cuts" and it's definitely more of a persuasive rather than a discursive :wink:

What are you doing yours on?

Mine is, quite simply: Is the American Dream still relevant today?
Reply 9
Yeah I am :smile: have no idea what contextualising is but it sounds pretty damn smart! My teacher's given me nothing to go on though, noo comments at all on how to improve it :s do you know when the proper deadline is for them? The American dream one sounds good too :smile:
I Just put a bibliorgraphy. The teacher didn't say anything, so i guess it's fine. Can I ask, is there anyone who used no sources, and how is this even possible? I thought it was essential to use back up your points with facts and figures but some people haven't used a single source.
Yeah I am :smile: have no idea what contextualising is but it sounds pretty damn smart! My teacher's given me nothing to go on though, noo comments at all on how to improve it :s do you know when the proper deadline is for them? The American dream one sounds good too :smile:

Contextualizing just means giving context to something, so my essay is all about what these cuts are really going to mean for the economy, social mobility etc given what the current situation is. It's mainly focusing on low income families :smile:

I think the official deadline is sometime after the 18th of April but I'm not too sure
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
I Just put a bibliorgraphy. The teacher didn't say anything, so i guess it's fine. Can I ask, is there anyone who used no sources, and how is this even possible? I thought it was essential to use back up your points with facts and figures but some people haven't used a single source.

You're supposed to use sources, unless it is all your about your opinions and personal thoughts with no outside input, but the chances of that are virtually none. You'll probably quote at least once I'd say in the discursive essay, so that will need to be referenced. Apparently the SQA will punish you harshly if you plagiarize.
Reply 13
I think it'd be kinda difficult not to use sources but it is an option on that pink sheet you need to fill out :L
Reply 14
I've heard that they'll automatically fail all your subjects if you plagarise :O
You're supposed to use sources, unless it is all your about your opinions and personal thoughts with no outside input, but the chances of that are virtually none. You'll probably quote at least once I'd say in the discursive essay, so that will need to be referenced. Apparently the SQA will punish you harshly if you plagiarize.

One of my friends did his on school uniform and didn't use a single source. When I asked him where he got his evidence from he said 'my head' some people just don't give a **** clearly.
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
One of my friends did his on school uniform and didn't use a single source. When I asked him where he got his evidence from he said 'my head' some people just don't give a **** clearly.

Yeah, some people just don't get why you have to reference your sources. I know of one guy who is doing his essay on something related to energy, like nuclear and wave or something, and he hasn't referenced any sources at all. He must of used figures and stuff so he needs to give the sources but he cba. Tbh, I have no hope for him passing Higher English.
Reply 17
I have no hope for me passing either :frown:
Referencing is stupid, but if you don't reference then the SQA will fail your Higher English... But meh, put your references at the end of your essay, in list form, something like this...

References

Websites

www.....

:smile:
Yeah, some people just don't get why you have to reference your sources. I know of one guy who is doing his essay on something related to energy, like nuclear and wave or something, and he hasn't referenced any sources at all. He must of used figures and stuff so he needs to give the sources but he cba. Tbh, I have no hope for him passing Higher English.

Wow, I am far too worried about being failed for plagiarism to not reference! I have referenced absolutely everything i used in my essay! How people can be so laid back about their exams I have no idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending