The Student Room Group

Would you ever marry someone who ... ?

This poll is closed

Would you marry someone who is below your social standing?

Yes 85%
No15%
Total votes: 259
Would you ever marry someone who is below your social standing? And by social standing I mean family background, education, wealth etc. :confused: Does love really conquer all?

For example, if you are a doctor and the other person is a bartender or a mechanic?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Since this isn't the 18th century, yes.
Reply 2
Nah, I need someone who is richer than me, so that in the likely event we get a divorce I will be the winner.
(edited 13 years ago)
As a communist, I don't care about the ridiculous mental barrier of social status.

It doesn't exist, you just think it does.
Yes
Reply 5
Being happy is the most important thing in life imo. If that means marrying a banker, sure and if that means I'll be happy with somebody that sells ice cream for a living then fine too. I’d live next to the best schools so kids don’t go to the local dumb in case I end up with the latter though.
I'm sorry I didn't realise we lived in Pride and Prejudice
Reply 7
If you love somebody, why should their social status matter?

Yes
Reply 8
Original post by Yawn11
Nah, I need someone who is richer than me, so that in the like event we get a divorce I will be the winner.

At least we know who will wear the pants in your relationship. :ahee:
Reply 9
Those that said no are stuck up *****.

Of course it wouldn't matter.
Reply 10
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I would. Then we would get on an unsinkable ship which would then sink, and I would be too selfish to let him lie on the piece of floating wood, and he would die.

Are you a girl? :eyeball:

Or just referring to the Titanic scene?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I would. Then we would get on an unsinkable ship which would then sink, and I would be too selfish to let him lie on the piece of floating wood, and he would die.

That happened to me once..

I divorced her, naturally :mad:
Yes, it not like she has a say in which family she was born into. E.g. Kate Middleton and Prince William. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Don'tNod
Being happy is the most important thing in life imo. If that means marrying a banker, sure and if that means I'll be happy with somebody that sells ice cream for a living then fine too. I’d live next to the best schools so kids don’t go to the local dumb in case I end up with the latter though.

But what if he was a binman? Being an ice cream seller is an awesome job.
Reply 14
of course :s-smilie:
Reply 15
What the **** does 'social standing' matter when it comes to love?!
Reply 16
Original post by Parthenon93
Would you ever marry someone who is below your social standing? And by social standing I mean family background, education, wealth etc. :confused: Does love really conquer all?

For example, if you are a doctor and the other person is a bartender or a mechanic?

Didn't think I could.............but I just did :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by LeeC
But what if he was a binman? Being an ice cream seller is an awesome job.

I'd make sure he sold ice cream during his lunch break. :colonhash:
yes i would
I don't mind most things - family background, wealth, race or even education - but I would want an intelligent hubbie. I'd need someone to be on my wavelength.

Being musical and Christian would be handy too, or at least someone who doesn't mind either :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending