The Student Room Group

Britain has the fourth highest quality of life in the world

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Haha, also wondering as to why US scored higher than us in health? Hmmm...

I like your name
Reply 21
Original post by The West Wing
I imagine the reason it's not been widely reported is because it's from an anonymous source with dubious methodology.

USA beating us on healthcare when 25% of children there have no healthcare coverage at all? Hmm.

The healthcare that is available in the US is arguably the best in the world. Access is their only issue, and that affects only a minority (I'm highly dubious that a quarter of children have no coverage).
Reply 22
That's the strangest Quality of Life Index I've ever seen. Very biased. The Nordic countries are way too far down on the list.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hmm... we score the same as Japan at the moment? Think that may have changed...
That's the most ridiculous set of statistics, it's trying to say the UK has a better economy than Germany, amongst other peculiar things ie. Luxembourg being below Romania and Brazil and on par with Jamaica. Also, the US is first - that's just ludicrous.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Luceria
That's the strangest Quality of Life Index I've ever seen. I'd call it rubbish.

Because it takes into account a lot of factors that actually affect daily living, rather than the 3 arbitrary factors used by the HDI?
United States?
That is the biggest load of **** I have seen in while.
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
I like your name

Thanks! It's the chemical found in chocolate :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by domino0806
That's the most ridiculous set of statistics, it's trying to say the UK has a better economy than Germany, amongst other peculiar things ie. Luxembourg being below Romania and Brazil and on par with Jamaica. Also, the US is first - that's just ludicrous.

For Luxembourg I'm guessing it was the cost of living score that pulled them right down.
Original post by small t tory.
I don't even know what this website is. The UN HDI is a more reliable source of information. http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/

Speaking as a geography student, the HDI is pretty useless. All it does it bang three pretty basic developmental indicators together into a rubbish index. There are far more factors affecting quality of life than it lets on.

Also, it's more an indicator of development than quality of life. The two are generally linked but not the same. Countries with a high HDI like Saudi Arabia and Bahrain may not have a high quality of life, and countries with a lower HDI, particularly in Latin America and the Pacific, may have a higher quality of life than such nations.
Original post by Kowa
The healthcare that is available in the US is arguably the best in the world. Access is their only issue, and that affects only a minority (I'm highly dubious that a quarter of children have no coverage).

Who actually makes this argument? And how would this argument be framed?

I don't know about you but I would say access to healthcare is the most important aspect of well run healthcare system.
Reply 31
I don't see why people find it so difficult to believe that the US is the world's best country in which to live.
Original post by Kowa
I don't see why people find it so difficult to believe that the US is the world's best country in which to live.

I wouldn't find it difficult to believe if I didn't know that there were areas of severe deprivation in the US that nobody gives a crap about.

Scandinavian nations like Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark, as well as Australia, Canada and New Zealand, probably have the highest quality of life in the world.
Original post by Kowa

Probably because you are American and have yet to face the disillusionment and realisation that every other country in the world thinks your the fattest ***** ever.
Reply 34
Original post by Luceria
Yes, but it seems very strange. That the Nordic countries are so far down on the list. I don't believe in it.

Norway is ranked 6th. The factor pulling it down is its exorbitant cost of living.
Reply 35
How on earth did the USA score so highly on infrastructure (lol what infrastructure?), health, and safety? I call bull****. You can't judge the quality of life of a country by adding up some statistics. Sweden below Poland? Spain below Hungary? Malta above Italy? Albania above anywhere? I don't know how anyone could honestly think this is accurate.
Reply 36
Original post by 01010000 01001010
Probably because you are American and have yet to face the disillusionment and realisation that every other country in the world thinks your the fattest ***** ever.

I'm British and just think that the ingrained anti-American jealousy on this forum is rather silly.
Original post by Kowa
I'm British and just think that the ingrained anti-American jealousy on this forum is rather silly.

Don't lie.

Original post by Kowa

Norway is ranked 6th. The factor pulling it down is its exorbitant cost of living.

Which equals out its huge GDP compared to the US.
Reply 38
Original post by Layabout
How on earth did the USA score so highly on infrastructure (lol what infrastructure?), health, and safety? I call bull****. You can't judge the quality of life of a country by adding up some statistics. Sweden below Poland? Spain below Hungary? Malta above Italy? Albania above anywhere? I don't know how anyone could honestly think this is accurate.

The fact that they've got the most roads in the world, the most cell phones per capita, highest number of airports etc.

Our violent crime is worse than the US's, and the health ranking seems accurate as well when you consider that it's based on the number of people per doctor, the number of hospital beds per 1,000 people, the percentage of the population with access to safe water, the infant mortality rate, life expectancy, and public health expenditure as a percentage of a country’s GDP.
Reply 39
Original post by The West Wing
Who actually makes this argument? And how would this argument be framed?

I don't know about you but I would say access to healthcare is the most important aspect of well run healthcare system.

Not if the healthcare available to everyone is subpar. Cuba is a case-in-point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending