The Student Room Group

Integration- Area between 2 lines

Hi there, i need some help on this integration question. I only need some help on what to do first as im pretty sure i could then carry on but im not sure where to start first.

Find the area of the region bounded by parts of the y axis, the curve y=x^3 and the lines y=1 and y=27.

Thanks. If someone could tell me what to write and calculate for the first couple of steps that would be awesome.
Reply 1
First of all, sketch out the graph, it'll help you figure out which areas precisely you need.

Now, what area would calculating 13x3dx\int_{1}^{3} x^3 dx give you?

How can you calculate the area you actually want from this?

I don't know whether this post is particularly clear - sketch the graph and see if you can understand what I'm saying.
Reply 2
Original post by TheDavibob
First of all, sketch out the graph, it'll help you figure out which areas precisely you need.

Now, what area would calculating 13x3dx\int_{1}^{3} x^3 dx give you?

How can you calculate the area you actually want from this?

I don't know whether this post is particularly clear - sketch the graph and see if you can understand what I'm saying.

That finds the area between the graph, the lines x=1 and x=3, and the x-axis; however, this question asks for the area between the graph, the lines y=1 and y=3, and the y-axis.

In this case you need to write the equation in the form x=f(y)x=f(y) (so that we're basically switching the axes, but changing the function to match). Then you can integrate between the appropriate limits.
Reply 3
Original post by ~Sparked~
Hi there, i need some help on this integration question. I only need some help on what to do first as im pretty sure i could then carry on but im not sure where to start first.

Find the area of the region bounded by parts of the y axis, the curve y=x^3 and the lines y=1 and y=27.

Thanks. If someone could tell me what to write and calculate for the first couple of steps that would be awesome.

Think about how you'd tackle it between the y axis.

Quick Reply

Latest