The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Best accomodation for Cardiff first years?

So yeah pretty much, wheres the best place to live for a Cardiff fresher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Being from Cardiff my answer is Talybont! I'm sure most will probably say the same too. What've you applied for? Because talybont can be quite a walk away from some departments, such as engineering and physics.
Original post by danielharris627
Being from Cardiff my answer is Talybont! I'm sure most will probably say the same too. What've you applied for? Because talybont can be quite a walk away from some departments, such as engineering and physics.

Seconded :smile:

Is Senghetto full of engineers, mathematicians and scientists?

I ask because I would like to be close to lectures/town but don't want to be living with loads of (mostly guy) techies as I will be studying physics.

Would it be worth the walk from talybont, for the more 'fun' and female filled social life? :colondollar:
the house in seng are for 30 split into 6 5 roomed flats. Without trying to put you off, you will find a large proportion of engineers and sciencey types.

In my house of 30 with 17 girls and 13 boys, im one of only 2 boys who doesnt do engineering and i think 9 of those 17 also do engineering so it can be pretty full on with 2/3 of your house do roughly the same course of which i have no knowledge of because im a geographer so I just colour in all day. I have my friends on my course who live at seng and iv not found 1 who hasnt got at least 1 engineer in their flat yet.

Social life wise for the entertainment, go taly, the more hectic timetable for engineers has meant that a lot of my house after freshers stopped going out unless it was fridays/birthdays/special occasions as they did a good 10 hours more than the rest of us. For the location seng is brilliant as its only 10 minutes from anywhere basically which is a god send after staggering back at 4am on many a night.
In my Senghennydd Court flat there's 2 girls and three boys. We have two engineers, a computer scientist and a maths student. But I'm archaeology, and I know others in SC from Italian and languages so you do get a mixture there. And it's not like you will really do anything related to your course while you're in the flat anyway so being with people from different subjects doesn't make much of a difference at all.

I'm not the going out type but my flatmates go out a lot and there's always people coming and going, hanging out in the flat etc so it is really social if you want it to be.
Reply 7
Any of the Talybonts. South followed by Court and then North.
Reply 8
Original post by solusoracle
Any of the Talybonts. South followed by Court and then North.

Thats the exact top 3 iv gone for, then Column House and im not too sure for the next few!
Reply 9
Original post by natashapt
Thats the exact top 3 iv gone for, then Column House and im not too sure for the next few!

Glad you made this forum! 'Cause the accommodation is something I'm stressing out over right now just got added info from Cardiff!
As I'm welsh I don't know if I want to go to a Welsh speaking place but they seem to be get the smallest rooms (talybont north) or theres no ensuite (senghenydd court) and I'm not that bothered I'd like to mix with different kinds of people in uni really!
So I'm now thinking of talybont south as my top choice sounds like the overall best but theres so many we have to choose! Really can't think of 10 though! :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by x-Leo-x
Glad you made this forum! 'Cause the accommodation is something I'm stressing out over right now just got added info from Cardiff!
As I'm welsh I don't know if I want to go to a Welsh speaking place but they seem to be get the smallest rooms (talybont north) or theres no ensuite (senghenydd court) and I'm not that bothered I'd like to mix with different kinds of people in uni really!
So I'm now thinking of talybont south as my top choice sounds like the overall best but theres so many we have to choose! Really can't think of 10 though! :s-smilie:

Even if you get put in a welsh speaking one I doubt everyone there speaks welsh :smile: What have you applied to do :biggrin: I guess il be seeing you in september! xx
Reply 11
just submited my accomodation too but im slightly panicing! opened up the document about the procedure after you had submited your choices and it said, application for residences deadline was end of february and they'd allocate in week begining 7th March?! help am i now going to end up with my 10th choice :frown:
Reply 12
Even if you get put in a welsh speaking one I doubt everyone there speaks welsh :smile: What have you applied to do :biggrin: I guess il be seeing you in september! xx

Yeah bet your right!
I've applied for Law how about you?
hope so - if I get the grades!! :biggrin: X
Reply 13
Original post by amyjade93
just submited my accomodation too but im slightly panicing! opened up the document about the procedure after you had submited your choices and it said, application for residences deadline was end of february and they'd allocate in week begining 7th March?! help am i now going to end up with my 10th choice :frown:

I hope not! You're making me panic now - still haven't submitted my choices yet...off to send them now!
Reply 14
Original post by x-Leo-x
Yeah bet your right!
I've applied for Law how about you?
hope so - if I get the grades!! :biggrin: X

Oooo iv applied for History but was gunna do law originially! Im sure you will :biggrin: Ivv just applied now
this was my order of preference haha
Taly South-ensuite plus
taly south-ensuite
taly court-ensuite
taly north-ensuite
taly north-ensuite reduced
taly north-ensuite small
colum hall-ensuite
university hall-ensuite
senghenydd court- share bathroom
aberconway hall-shared bathroom! boom :biggrin: x
Reply 15
Oooo iv applied for History but was gunna do law originially! Im sure you will :biggrin: Ivv just applied now
Taly South-ensuite plus
taly south-ensuite
taly court-ensuite
taly north-ensuite
taly north-ensuite small
colum hall-ensuite
university hall-ensuite

So glad to see I'm not the only one thats applied for reduced and small rooms as well!
Another person desperate for an ensuite I guess :biggrin:
Reply 16
Taly South-ensuite plus
taly south-ensuite
taly court-ensuite
taly north-ensuite
taly north-ensuite small
colum hall-ensuite
university hall-ensuite

ha that's odd 'cos I had actually been thinking of studying history with archaeology!
I've finally sent my application too! :
Taly South - ensuite
T. North - ensuite
T.Court - ensuite
T. South - ensuite plus
T. North - ensuite reduced
Colum Hall - ensuite
Senghenydd Hall - ensuite
Gordon Hall - ensuite
T.North - small
Senghenydd Court - shared bathroom! And BOOM to you too :biggrin:
Gosh that took just as long to write as it did for me to decide which ones to chose! :s-smilie:
Let's hope we get one of our top choices! :biggrin: X
Reply 17
Original post by x-Leo-x
ha that's odd 'cos I had actually been thinking of studying history with archaeology!
I've finally sent my application too! :
Taly South - ensuite
T. North - ensuite
T.Court - ensuite
T. South - ensuite plus
T. North - ensuite reduced
Colum Hall - ensuite
Senghenydd Hall - ensuite
Gordon Hall - ensuite
T.North - small
Senghenydd Court - shared bathroom! And BOOM to you too :biggrin:
Gosh that took just as long to write as it did for me to decide which ones to chose! :s-smilie:
Let's hope we get one of our top choices! :biggrin: X

Oooo we may be in the same places then! Its so exciting meeting new people before you go haha :biggrin: yes deffo, i think id cry if i didnt get talybont, but at least were still in the marvelous city of cardiff!! xx
Reply 18
Original post by abbifaye
So glad to see I'm not the only one thats applied for reduced and small rooms as well!
Another person desperate for an ensuite I guess :biggrin:

I think id take ensuite over anything I guess, what can I say, i like my bathroom to be private and not left messily by boys :biggrin:

Hey! I'm thinking of applying to talybont but do you know how far it is from the psychology department? I think it might have been the one we saw on the open day but we took the bus there and i can't really remember how long it took lol. and also do you have a favourite among all the talybonts? thaanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending