The Student Room Group

Where to vist in the U.S.

i'll go to the U.S. this summer break.
i wanna know where is the best to travel
any recommanding?

Scroll to see replies

What kinds of things do you like?
Reply 2
If you're into history, try traveling up and down the east coast. Be creative.. don't just go to the same cities everyone always goes to (or at least go to others in addition to those). example- Charleston, SC is very beautiful, has great food, music and just an overall spirit. I've heard that Austin TX has a great music scene. It's has a very large university so there are always things to do.
It depends on what you're looking for, how long you'll be there, and how far into the country you're willing to go; the US is about 4827km across, after all.

If you're looking for beaches and amusement, try Florida; if you go to Orlando, you'll find Universal Studios (Harry Potter World is in there), as well as Disney World. You can hit Key West and the beaches too, maybe.

Sharri5 is correct, the east coast has a lot of history; probably the most if you're really into that. Boston is a very pretty and quite historic city. New York City is iconic, so you should probably stop there just to say you've been.

If you want to hit the midwest, try Chicago. I wouldn't really bother going elsewhere; each midwestern city will have something new to offer, but Chicago will have the most.
I don't know a whole lot about the West coast. San Diego and LA (Los Angeles) are popular cities in California, but I couldn't tell you much about them. Seattle, Washington, is fairly pretty I hear (very green), but it also tends to rain most days of the year.

Again, it really just depends on what you're looking for. The US is huge. There are different accents within the different regions (sometimes just within one city in different parts of it) and each state has its own collective culture.
For me the rockies and Yellowstone national park were the best places in the US to visit, a must if you're into landscapes/nature. If you end up there a tip from me is that Bryce Canyon is far better than The Grand Canyon. Las Vegas is also decent but only if you can afford to stay on the strip and I've heard great things about New York though I haven't been myself.

Two places I'd recommend against: LA (dirty and sleazy streets, extreme poverty, ugly place and all alongside the ultra rich - made me ashamed to be a human) and Washington (empty and lackluster, felt like a ghost-town when I went).

Having said that I haven't been for around 6 years so these may have changed.
Downtown Detroit.
Reply 6
Original post by Sabertooth
What kinds of things do you like?

i wanna have some fun. and i would like to go to beaches.:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by sandeep90
Downtown Detroit.

what can i do over there?
is there something special about Detroit
Reply 8
Original post by Sharri5
If you're into history, try traveling up and down the east coast. Be creative.. don't just go to the same cities everyone always goes to (or at least go to others in addition to those). example- Charleston, SC is very beautiful, has great food, music and just an overall spirit. I've heard that Austin TX has a great music scene. It's has a very large university so there are always things to do.

thanks a lot . i always wanna try new things. :smile:
Reply 9
Christ, where not to visit? That's like asking "Where to visit in europe?"

There is New York, Boston, LA, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Miami: all completely different, and all worth visiting. There is New England, there is the Old South, there are the Everglades, there is Texas, there is the Mid West, there are the Rockies, there is the West Coast. You could spend a month exploring each one.
Boston. It's colder than Miami and has much more Irish pubs. Ahh good times :')
Reply 11
Original post by Rogercbinboy
For me the rockies and Yellowstone national park were the best places in the US to visit, a must if you're into landscapes/nature. If you end up there a tip from me is that Bryce Canyon is far better than The Grand Canyon. Las Vegas is also decent but only if you can afford to stay on the strip and I've heard great things about New York though I haven't been myself.

Two places I'd recommend against: LA (dirty and sleazy streets, extreme poverty, ugly place and all alongside the ultra rich - made me ashamed to be a human) and Washington (empty and lackluster, felt like a ghost-town when I went).

Having said that I haven't been for around 6 years so these may have changed.

good advices. I will definitely visit the rockies and Yellowstone national park.
and i would like to visit Las Vegas if i have enough money.:colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by py0alb
Christ, where not to visit? That's like asking "Where to visit in europe?"

There is New York, Boston, LA, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Miami: all completely different, and all worth visiting. There is New England, there is the Old South, there are the Everglades, there is Texas, there is the Mid West, there are the Rockies, there is the West Coast. You could spend a month exploring each one.

i would like to go to diifferent places, but i don't have that much money.
and i don't know where to find the low price hotel?:smile:
cape cod is pretty awesome
Reply 14
Original post by Dream Weaver
Boston. It's colder than Miami and has much more Irish pubs. Ahh good times :')

what kinds of pubs?
the pub's in our country is really bad.
i once stepped on someone's throw out.:mad:
Reply 15
Original post by Jodieeeee
i would like to go to diifferent places, but i don't have that much money.
and i don't know where to find the low price hotel?:smile:

There are lots of extremely cheap motels in the US.

If I were you I would pick one area and stay there. Don't try to see too much otherwise you will spend your entire holiday travelling.
Reply 16
SAN FRANCISCO!!!! alcatraz prison is amazing...definitely recommend :smile:
Reply 17
Theres a good shooting range in gallatin county montana but you've got to bring your own gun
As a person whose second home is los Angeles and hold us citizenship I would say go to los angeles as there is no where else like it. I always feel at home when i go there ( I go 2-3 times a year) and there is a lot to do and see such go to beaches, shop and many theme parks such as universal, knotts berry farm, disney land. Also you should stay at least a week and rent your own car as public transportation isn’t great and there is no easy way to get around. If your planning on going to las Vegas your stay should be at least 3 days as there is nothing to do there and gambling can only happen if you are 21 otherwise you can play the kids arcade at Excalibur and win great prizes if you have lots of tickets. And for those who are thinking how is los angeles his second home? The story is: my dad is from Quebec, and at the age of 3 my dad got a job as an aerospace engineer there and his company sponsored us for citizenship. If you need anymore information jodieeee send a message to me or you can reply on here but I prefer messages.
Original post by Jodieeeee
what can i do over there?
is there something special about Detroit

I'm pretty sure this user was joking. My recommendation is don't go to Detroit. At all. It has its good points, certainly, but it was built on the back of the car industry, so whenever that isn't going so well, the area gets a bit shady. I went when I was younger, and I will say that it does have some cool stuff (car museums for one, if you're into that), but on the whole I would be wary of going there. The crime rate has dropped significantly in recent years, but as recently as 2007 it was considered statistically the most dangerous metropolitan area. So again, I think this user was joking.

Quick Reply

Latest