The Student Room Group

Are Afrikaans African?

Inspired by the 'Ireland, British or Irish' thread and the song 'Africa Unite' I was wandering if the Afrikaners of South Africa would say they are African? Because unlike the British or Irish question, 'Afrikaans' isn't a nationality is it. It would be like someone from Ireland saying their nationality is Ulster-Scotch (or Ulster-Scottish, not sure of the what the correct term would be).

Would they say the are South African? Maybe Dutch, German or French?

Right-Wing Afrikaner pleading for his life moments before his execution.
Kevin Carter, 1994
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't know for sure, but dutch most likely as the languages are most similar.
Reply 2
I speak Dutch, the language is VERY similar indeed , I can understand Afrikaans too and read it
Reply 3
Yes they are afrikaans. My step dad is an afrikaan but he still says he is an african. If i remember correctly, because of the racial divide, it is the white people of africa that are called afrikaanes.
Reply 4
Original post by bexter:)
Yes they are afrikaans. My step dad is an afrikaan but he still says he is an african. If i remember correctly, because of the racial divide, it is the white people of africa that are called afrikaanes.

Not all, the british descendants wouldn't be afrikaners.

So he called him self African? Would he ever refer himself as Dutch?

Original post by Dr. G-nome
I speak Dutch, the language is VERY similar indeed , I can understand Afrikaans too and read it

Yeah, heard that, I was in SA and all the Dutch people said they could get by fine because of the similarities. Wish I had asked a few Afrikaners when I was out there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
The Afrikaans language was started by the Dutch, so I'd imagine Afrikaans have Dutch roots.

I'd imagine the white people in Namibia have German or British roots, since Germany and Britain colonised Namibia at one point.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by No Man
The Afrikaans language was started by the Dutch, so I'd imagine Afrikaans have Dutch roots.

I'd imagine the white people in Namibia have German or British roots, since Germany and Britain colonised Namibia at one point.

Yes, I think the majority of Afrikaners are of Dutch, German or French decent. Being white doesn't make you Afrikaan. E.g. british whites in SA aren't Afrikaan. But would the Afrikaners say the are South African or Dutch is what I'm wandering.
Reply 7
Are you asking what makes people afrikaans or are afrikaans, african.

If it's the latter then yes, they most certainly are african. At least by now they are considering they have been in the country so long.

If you mean the former, then i'm not sure. I think you'd have to have dutch afrikaans heritage. I.e one of your ancestors were one of the dutch people that setteled in SA.
Reply 8
Original post by U.S Lecce
Are you asking what makes people afrikaans or are afrikaans, african.

If it's the latter then yes, they most certainly are african. At least by now they are considering they have been in the country so long.

If you mean the former, then i'm not sure. I think you'd have to have dutch afrikaans heritage. I.e one of your ancestors were one of the dutch people that setteled in SA.

The latter...sort of.

I'm asking if the Afrikaners themselves would call themselves African. Because if they didn't what would they call themselves?

A) - Afrikaan = not a nationality
b) - South African = Although its the country, its still named after the Southern tip of the African continent. Won't make sense to say your not African, but you are South African does it?
c) - Dutch/German/French = The only one I can make sense of given their ancestry, but even then, the majority probably haven't been to either of the countries, or entitled to citizenship (i guess).

I would say they are African, just as African as someone from Ghana or Soweto, but I'm not sure if they would agree. I mean I don't think the ring-wing guy in the picture would consider himself African at least.
Reply 9
Original post by bestofyou
The latter...sort of.

I'm asking if the Afrikaners themselves would call themselves African. Because if they didn't what would they call themselves?

b) - South African = Although its the country, its still named after the Southern tip of the African continent. Won't make sense to say your not African, but you are South African does it?
c) - Dutch/German/French = The only one I can make sense of given their ancestry, but even then, the majority probably haven't been to either of the countries, or entitled to citizenship (i guess).

I would say they are African, just as African as someone from Ghana or Soweto, but I'm not sure if they would agree. I mean I don't think the ring-wing guy in the picture would consider himself African at least.

Not sure really, however would be interesting to see what an actualy afrikaaner thinks. :holmes:

I know some brtish S.africans that certainly call themselves african.
Reply 10
Not sure really, however would be interesting to see what an actualy afrikaaner thinks. :holmes:

Yeah, I only got back from SA last month, feel like I wasted the opportunity to ask. I was in a few 'right wing' (so to speak) Afrikaan areas, they still had white/'coloured' areas. I remember one man telling me not to let the coloured boys surf because it was the white side of the town. Was really a strange experience.
Reply 11
Yeah, I only got back from SA last month, feel like I wasted the opportunity to ask. I was in a few 'right wing' (so to speak) Afrikaan areas, they still had white/'coloured' areas. I remember one man telling me not to let the coloured boys surf because it was the white side of the town. Was really a strange experience.

Can't believe that kind of stuff still happens in SA, after eveything they went through to stop it aswell!
Reply 12
argh, if they were born in Africa, they are African.
Reply 13

My grandmother knows Afrikaans, etc but she considers herself British now. Probably because she's only half 'Afrikaans' and she left SA at a young age.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I've known a few Afrikaaners and all of them considered themselves as white Africans.

Curious choice of image to accompany your post. It was taken during the self-styled 'invasion' of Boputhatswana by the AWB in 1994. It's a bit like using a picture of a neo-Nazi group in a thread about modern German identity. Unrepresentative.
Afrikaans isn't a nationality it's a language.

Most Afrikaans speakers are non white anyway.

Most white South Africans are born in SA and spend their whole lives without setting foot outside the continent of Africa. So to call them anything other than African is bizarre really it would be like saying to a black guy in Britain, well you're Jamaican/Nigerian.
The latter...sort of.

For French I know for sure those from French descent are entitled French citizenship. I know some white French people from former African colony they describe themselves as French. But the Afrikaaner are a totally different story I think.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Afrikaans isn't a nationality it's a language.

Most Afrikaans speakers are non white anyway.

Most white South Africans are born in SA and spend their whole lives without setting foot outside the continent of Africa. So to call them anything other than African is bizarre really it would be like saying to a black guy in Britain, well you're Jamaican/Nigerian.

Not that much. Nationality is all about who you identify to not where you are born or your ethnicity (even if correlation could exist). A French white or black born in Guyana will probably identify himself as French rather than South American even if he never puts a foot in France.
Reply 18
Original post by Jez RR
I've known a few Afrikaaners and all of them considered themselves as white Africans.

Curious choice of image to accompany your post. It was taken during the self-styled 'invasion' of Boputhatswana by the AWB in 1994. It's a bit like using a picture of a neo-Nazi group in a thread about modern German identity. Unrepresentative.

I'm fully aware of what was going on in the picture. The reason why I used it was because it is a picture that shows a far-right Afrikaner. I was unsure whether the Afrikaners, particularly the right wing Afrikaners, would identify themselves as the same nationality as a Zulu or Xhosa for example.

I remembered the picture from Greg Maninovich/Joao Silva's book and decided to use it. But I wouldn't say it's like using a neo-nazi picture for modern Germany. More like using these pictures as a representation of Catholic northern ireland

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
My dads is a South African who speaks Afrikaans, he sees himself as African, I'm pretty sure most of them don't see themselves as Dutch. Just because Americans speak English they don't see themselves as British

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending