The Student Room Group

Is anyone proud to be british

Scroll to see replies

I've never really understood how you can be proud of something you had no control over.

But it's pretty bitchin' here.
Patriotism is a load of sh!t. It's all made up just like religion.
Reply 62
'more tolerable'? I think you meant tolerant which translates as 'push over '.I am proud to be English. What is British?
I consider myself English, and am very proud of that fact. As I have no ties with Scotland or Northern Ireland, I can't say I feel "British" as such.
I :suith: England.
There are things that I like about Britain, like London, Scotland and the level of tolerance here (in London, at least). However, I think that patriotism blinds people to their country's problems, stifling progress, and also leads to hostility to others, when the whole thing is just absurd anyway. I've no reason to be proud of Britain anyway, because even if it is perfect (which it's not) that's not because of me.
Also, for me, Britain is better than England. I'm a Londoner with Scottish family... and Welsh and Irish ancestry as well... and find it difficult to understand how so many English people could vote Tory when almost everyone I know- in London and Scotland- hates them. So I could never be proud of (or even like) England on its own. I think that maybe the other parts of the UK help to cancel out the insanity of parts of England. and I associate Britain mainly with London anyway for some reason. that probably doesn't make much sense, but I can't think properly right now- I need to go to sleep.
(edited 13 years ago)
ME :woo:
Reply 67
Original post by JoeLatics
British? I call myself English, so no!

Proud? That's a funny one, it was just by chance that I was born here, so can I really be proud of that?

I agree with you completely

Original post by Lewroll
Great post and very well put. I'd rep you but I'm all out.

:/ it's them bloody tories and their cuts :redface:p
Reply 68
Me.
Original post by INTJ
1. If you discount what great British people did, because they are not the "average British" person, then you could say the same for almost every other country - that it was not your 'average' citizen who did it, so therefore it is irrelevant. If the person is British, it counts as a triumph for Britain; same rule for every other country.

2. Yes, conquering most of the world with a population the size or our's IS an accomplishment. Morality and ethics have nothing to do with it. However you look at it, it was an exceptional feat of military mastery, technological genius and British planning. I'm not saying good came about it (though, some did), but it cannot be ignored how incredible the feat was.

3. Most countries are NOWHERE NEAR as tolerant as Britain. Some, yes; but most, no.

1. I agree same rule for any country, and I think the same about anywhere. The "British experience" is about the average person, not what a handful of people we'll never meet and don't know do (in my opinion).

2. I couldn't care less how "incredible the feat" is. If Britain blew up the moon it would be incredible - wouldn't make me proud. Morality and ethics have everything to do with it. China does a good job of censoring it's people - thats an incredible feat, something to be proud of? Not at all.

3. Britain is particularly tolerant yes, but there are quite a few countries who are in the same ball-park. I'm not saying it's not a good thing, it's just not particularly unique.

None of those things convince me that I should be particularly proud of the country, but then it's down to personal opinions.
Reply 70
I think it's stupid to be proud of where you happened to be born, a factor entirely beyond your control. I do count myself fortunate to live in a western democracy though.
Reply 71
Original post by callum9999
1. I agree same rule for any country, and I think the same about anywhere. The "British experience" is about the average person, not what a handful of people we'll never meet and don't know do (in my opinion).

2. I couldn't care less how "incredible the feat" is. If Britain blew up the moon it would be incredible - wouldn't make me proud. Morality and ethics have everything to do with it. China does a good job of censoring it's people - thats an incredible feat, something to be proud of? Not at all.

3. Britain is particularly tolerant yes, but there are quite a few countries who are in the same ball-park. I'm not saying it's not a good thing, it's just not particularly unique.

None of those things convince me that I should be particularly proud of the country, but then it's down to personal opinions.

Well, based on your point 1., nothing will convince you to be proud of any country :rolleyes: You're not going to go anywhere and find a population where every citizen is a genius, inventor, scientist, philosopher and artist etc. If you can't judge based on what iconic British figures have done (or any country's iconic people), then you will never be proud, because no population is entirely excellent.
Reply 72
I'm proud of the way Britain (and the Empire) stood alone against the Nazis in 1939-41 when humiliating defeat seemed inevitable. The nation (aside from the BUF and those who advised making peace) stared down the barrel and refused to blink.

Also, as Britain was engaged in total war, everybody was affected and everybody contributed to the war effort. In other words, this was a collective British achievement and, even though we can't take credit personally, our grandparents and great-grandparents can and we can be proud of them.
I am proud to be Scottish. I don't really regard myself as British, despite British being my civic identity.
I am. I'm proud I can accept all of these immigrants, without a problem. :proud:
Reply 75
Im proud to be a human being. I just happened to be born in the UK. I'm no more proud to be british than I would be to be from the democratic republic of Congo or from Laos.

Im completely indifferent.
Reply 76
I wouldn't use the word proud because I think it's kind of regressive to be proud of something you have no control over. I like being a Brit and I like my country, but I'm not 'proud'.
If I were a British man, then yes, I'm very proud of it. But, I won't close my eyes from any criticism about my country.
Reply 78
Yeah!
To these people who are proud of being britsh;
What if you were born in America, born in Rwanda or maybe even bjorn in sweden you would be proud this woud'nt you, is national pride not a joke?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending