The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GGekko

Original post by GGekko
Ideal partner, without a doubt!

Why?
Original post by im so academic
I personally do think the poll is biased. Had the same question been done to, let's say mostly adults, it would be very different indeed.

It may be different but it would also be more complicated to interpret because many of the adults would have already made that decision at some point or would have experienced one of the extremes, which would influence their opinion.

I think you would still get a similar split but for different reasons. Students answering the poll will be thinking idealistically (although that's not to say that they wouldn't be true to their word) whereas adults are more likely to have a more informed outlook because they've probably experienced both love and work to a certain degree. There may be those who would have answered work in their youth and later encountered love that has changed their opinion and vice versa. Some people may become disillusioned with love and turn to work. It would be interesting to see what the result would be for people in their forties and fifties.
Reply 882
I think I would go for a perfect partner. They're a lot more permanent.
Original post by Emmie3303
It may be different but it would also be more complicated to interpret because many of the adults would have already made that decision at some point or would have experienced one of the extremes, which would influence their opinion.

I think you would still get a similar split but for different reasons. Students answering the poll will be thinking idealistically (although that's not to say that they wouldn't be true to their word) whereas adults are more likely to have a more informed outlook because they've probably experienced both love and work to a certain degree. There may be those who would have answered work in their youth and later encountered love that has changed their opinion and vice versa. Some people may become disillusioned with love and turn to work. It would be interesting to see what the result would be for people in their forties and fifties.

I think the older you get, the wider the gap between the career and the partner option in the poll. That's not to say that the partner option is correct, but it does seem the way society is built upon.
Original post by Salazar

Original post by Salazar
I think I would go for a perfect partner. They're a lot more permanent.

Wait, are you sure about that?

What if your perfect partner dies the next day? (Could happen).
Ideal future, Forget the ideal partner plenty fish in the sea
Reply 886
Why?

I haven't really thought of that, I guess it was just an instinctive reaction to the question! I would just feel a whole lot more fulfilled waking up everyday next to my perfect partner everyday, and having that emotional bond and happiness with them, rather than pursuing my ideal career etc, which would feel kind of empty without a perfect partner to share it all with. Also, because you say 'perfect' partner I'm presuming that I'm allowed to say that they will always be there for me.

What would your answer be to the poll?
I think the older you get, the wider the gap between the career and the partner option in the poll. That's not to say that the partner option is correct, but it does seem the way society is built upon.

I suppose you could say the same for both. The older you get the less likely it becomes that you will achieve a high powered career since it often takes time to build up. But you could also say that the older you get the less confident you will become in your belief that you will find lasting love.
The irony is that most people will come nowhere near to completing their dreams despite choosing it. They will most likely fail miserably and spend the coming years wishing they 'did better' at school or prepared for an interview better etc so I'd choose the perfect partner and get whatever jobs I can. At least I will be happy and know that my life was a 'success' in some way.

EDIT: Misread the question. It appears you're saying I wil get the perfect career and make my dreams if I choose to not have a partner. IN that case I still choose to have the perfect partner. It's a good way to combine sex and good company together which is a necessisity for me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ShadowConspiracy
Ideal future, Forget the ideal partner plenty fish in the sea

Why?
Original post by GGekko
I haven't really thought of that, I guess it was just an instinctive reaction to the question! I would just feel a whole lot more fulfilled waking up everyday next to my perfect partner everyday, and having that emotional bond and happiness with them, rather than pursuing my ideal career etc, which would feel kind of empty without a perfect partner to share it all with. Also, because you say 'perfect' partner I'm presuming that I'm allowed to say that they will always be there for me.

What would your answer be to the poll?

It's public, you can see my response.
I suppose you could say the same for both. The older you get the less likely it becomes that you will achieve a high powered career since it often takes time to build up. But you could also say that the older you get the less confident you will become in your belief that you will find lasting love.

True, perhaps I've got this wrong and in fact society doesn't actually tell you that you have a perfect partner.

Perhaps it's just a peer pressure thing within teenagers?

"Oh, have a boyfriend, get some experience".

You wouldn't believe that I get asked by people younger than me if I have a boyfriend.

Is it seriously the be all and the end all?
Original post by Fat-Love
The irony is that most people will come nowhere near to completing their dreams despite choosing it.

Weren't passionate enough, didn't try hard enough.

They will most likely fail miserably and spend the coming years wishing they 'did better' at school or prepared for an interview better etc so I'd choose the perfect partner and get whatever jobs I can. At least I will be happy and know that my life was a 'success' in some way.

I'd rather try and fail, then never try at all.

EDIT: Misread the question. It appears you're saying I wil get the perfect career and make my dreams if I choose to not have a partner. IN that case I still choose to have the perfect partner. It's a good way to combine sex and good company together which is a necessisity for me.

For me, I couldn't give a **** about "good sex and company".
True, perhaps I've got this wrong and in fact society doesn't actually tell you that you have a perfect partner.

Perhaps it's just a peer pressure thing within teenagers?

"Oh, have a boyfriend, get some experience".

You wouldn't believe that I get asked by people younger than me if I have a boyfriend.

Is it seriously the be all and the end all?

I think there are definitely people who feel pressured to get a boyfriend/girlfriend when they're a teenager but it doesn't necessarily mean that their reasoning when they get older is influenced by pressure. I don't think there is one definitive way of looking at this as there are so many variables and personal reasons and experiences that can influence people's choices :smile:.
Reply 894
It's public, you can see my response.

Okay, I'm sure with the effort you took typing this you could have just told me here. So i guess your ideal dreams don't include an ideal partner then?
I think there are definitely people who feel pressured to get a boyfriend/girlfriend when they're a teenager but it doesn't necessarily mean that their reasoning when they get older is influenced by pressure. I don't think there is one definitive way of looking at this as there are so many variables and personal reasons and experiences that can influence people's choices :smile:.

I'm personal just sick of people telling me that my choice is wrong because:

*I'm too young
*I have no experience
*I have a different opinion
Original post by GGekko

Original post by GGekko
Okay, I'm sure with the effort you took typing this you could have just told me here. So i guess your ideal dreams don't include an ideal partner then?

True.
I'm personal just sick of people telling me that my choice is wrong because:

*I'm too young
*I have no experience
*I have a different opinion

No one's choice is wrong, no matter how old or inexperienced they are.

No one's choice is wrong, no matter how old or inexperienced they are.

Yet I've had that argued against me in real life and on this thread.
Reply 899
Wait, are you sure about that?

What if your perfect partner dies the next day? (Could happen).

But this is my fantasy!

What if I get fired from my dream job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending