The Student Room Group

UoM to charge £9000 fees

i looked for a thread about this, but couldn't find one

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/news/display/?id=6856

what do you all think about this? i personally didn't expect Manchester to charge the full £9000, for some reason i thought it was limited to Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MutantGecko
i looked for a thread about this, but couldn't find one

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/news/display/?id=6856

what do you all think about this? i personally didn't expect Manchester to charge the full £9000, for some reason i thought it was limited to Oxbridge?

If Essex can charge £9000...
Reply 2
I think it's inevitable, all the redbrick unis are going to charge this.
i wouldnt be surprised if atleast 30 unis charged the full amount. its good that their charging more, the poor/ middle class be going to uni anymore or if they do go, it would be to a cheaper uni
To be honest, I fully expect the Golden Triangle and the Russel Group universities to all go to £9000 a year. They have a lot of business arrangements with each other, and at the end of the day, it's supply and demand. Any of the top 20-30 universities are going to see a very small, if any, dip in numbers due to the tuition fee change, so they'll charge what they want (and need) to survive and prosper.

A sign of things to come. I feel bad for anyone starting next year onward, which includes my little sister :/.
Reply 5
Every single uni is going to charge £9000.

The original £3000~ limit was bought in to be "in exceptional circumstances only" and yeh, look at that now.
Reply 6
If only i could find a vegeta picture that only had 9000!! without 'over'.....

Anyway, i glad im going this year then because i certainly dont want that much debt!
Won't people starting in 2012 get the tution fee loan to cover the fees?
Reply 8
Glad lucky I graduate in 2012. Unless the world ends.
Reply 9
Original post by hasin_arshad
Won't people starting in 2012 get the tution fee loan to cover the fees?

the video in your sig always gets taken down from youtube looool
Most will (or attempt to) charge the upper rate of £9000.

I mean is the criteria based on performance of these universties to any extent? Or just 'access'?
Why can't everyone have a fair chance at going to university despite their social class?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx
Why can't everyone have a fair chance at going to university despite their social class?

because they come from a family who live off benefits
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by air-ninety-one
because they come from a family who live off benefits

But if they want to go to university to get a better life, to get a degree and to not be on benefits then why shouldn't they?
But if they want to go to university to get a better life, to get a degree and to not be on benefits then why shouldn't they?

because they are poor! the student loan will have to paid off by the tax payer anyway
because they are poor! the student loan will have to paid off by the tax payer anyway

Yet the point of getting a degree is usually to get a well-paying job so they'd have to pay it off themselves
Yet the point of getting a degree is usually to get a well-paying job so they'd have to pay it off themselves

most of them would have **** degrees cos they have **** grades cos they went to a **** school. there lives are pretty much useless

so because my mother is now classed as disabled and my parents need benefits to actually support my family, I'm not allowed to accept my offer to attend a Russell Group university with a student loan? Is that your point? because it seems to me you're just unfairly discriminating and prejudicing against others for no overwhelming reason except because of their wealth or lack thereof. .. just sayin'.
Original post by street.lovin'
:curious:

All unis will charge £9000. Is there a need to refer to Essex?

Well, Cambridge and Oxford charging £9000, fair enough.

Imperial? Yeah, they're excellent, science isn't cheap to teach, £9000 is fair enough.

The amount a university can charge, to some people, correlates with how good the university is.

Now obviously that isn't the case, and yes I was making a joke at Essex's expense, but a lot of people seem to think that not all universities will be able to justify charging £9000. Of course, the majority will....
Original post by ilickbatteries

:K:

and Essex probably will. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending