The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

British in the sense that you are a citizen of Britain, or British in the sense that you are a member of the white, British indigenous population?

I don't mean it in a racist way at all, but you're not truly British if you're non-white. Not because black, asian, or oriental people are inferior, nothing like that.

Simply because I associate British with being a member of the white, indigenous population. British as an ethnicity is separate from British as a nationality, IMO.

I don't care what colour someone is, I'd rather a black person immigrated here, worked, paid taxes etc than a white person who contributes nothing on the dole. I do however want to preserve British culture...
Original post by ilickbatteries
British in the sense that you are a citizen of Britain, or British in the sense that you are a member of the white, British indigenous population?

I don't mean it in a racist way at all, but you're not truly British if you're non-white. Not because black, asian, or oriental people are inferior, nothing like that.

Simply because I associate British with being a member of the white, indigenous population. British as an ethnicity is separate from British as a nationality, IMO.

I don't care what colour someone is, I'd rather a black person immigrated here, worked, paid taxes etc than a white person who contributes nothing on the dole. I do however want to preserve British culture...

So how far back does this have to go? All humans originally came from Africa. Otherwise, which one of the many times we've been invaded and our ethnic makeup totally transformed is the start of "Britishness"? The original celts? The romans? Saxons? Vikings? Normans?

Please, enlighten me.

Also what exactly do you mean by British culture? Examples por favor?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Concept186
There are a fair few people in this country whose family has (for the most part) been here much longer than that thanks to the slave trade, or from colonies we once controlled, and I'll bet you that people like the OP will take one look at them and tell them they're not British.

How much of their family needs to have been here that long to count, though? For example, me. As far as we can tell, my entire family has lived in the home counties for yonks - except one german great grandmother. Am I still British?

I believe black people who have been here since the slave trade are British. When I say 'begs' I mean some of these Asians whose family have been here for 30 years or less and they think they are British

PS IM NOT BRITISH
People, ethnic groups and national identity change. The country was never was never going to keep it's pride and superiority after the Empire.

As for race and ethnic groups, Briton has always been a mixing pot.
Reply 64
If I'm being totally honest, I cannot wait till I graduate from university. Then, I will hottail out of here to the US or Australia. Partly because I dislike the social structure here- e.g. the amount of Oxbridge entrants coming from private schools and the "posh" people of Britain. But also because of the laid back lifestyle and that people are not directly out to get you.
If this country changed then I would stay, but it seems that the transition into a massively cosmopolitan country is fast becoming. I heard that, in a borough in Birmingham, over 80% of the students at a primary school were Asian. We are losing our integrity and credibility in this country. Immigration needs to be changed. Quick.
Original post by sucess
being born in a dog house dont make you a dog

so please stop trying to be someone you're not

You're comparing two different species. Take the dog for example. According to you, these dogs are not British or even dogs for that matter. These two dogs are:
The Yorkshire Terrier and the English Foxhound
Reply 66
Ethnic WIN!
I agree that Britain has recently become insanely multicultural - but how exactly is this a bad thing? Multiculturalism is the route away from racism and racial stereotypes, and it has given us an opportunity to redeem ourselves after the centuries we've spent pillaging other people's land. In our day and age, blood is absolutely meaningless. We identify ourselves with the society and the setting we grew up in, and the values we were raised upon.

I do understand you on one point, however, and will augment it with this fact: The UK and the US are both equally overrun with immigrants. However, americans have a MUCH better idea of what it means to be American than the brits have of what it means to be British.

There is no reason we can't be multicultural, but we have failed to successfully merge these cultures and create true national unity. The UK is made up of a patchwork of ethnicities, from the indigenous white brits to the afro-caribbean to the pakistani to the chinese to the indian. Rather than reverting back to a state of unipolar ethnicity, would it not be better for us to focus on mixing it all up and creating a new, strong, diverse but proudly unified British identity?
You couldnt be more wrong my friend.
Reply 69
you should know better. this discussion seems like the arts and humanities crap. why can you guys not just read ****ing novels? let those who know what they are talking about do their job!

And here lies the root of the problem. There IS no true sense of strong British culture, aside from double-decker buses/fish and chips. But the answer isn't in kicking out the immigrants; the vast majority of them are already well-integrated into their communities and retain only the most basic values of their home cultures (and maybe the food, but that's nothing to complain about!). The answer is in embracing these new additions rather than isolating them into designated groups, mixing everyone together and creating a new, all-inclusive culture which is still, for the most part, British. :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by DLJ
If I'm being totally honest, I cannot wait till I graduate from university. Then, I will hottail out of here to the US or Australia. Partly because I dislike the social structure here- e.g. the amount of Oxbridge entrants coming from private schools and the "posh" people of Britain. But also because of the laid back lifestyle and that people are not directly out to get you.
If this country changed then I would stay, but it seems that the transition into a massively cosmopolitan country is fast becoming. I heard that, in a borough in Birmingham, over 80% of the students at a primary school were Asian. We are losing our integrity and credibility in this country. Immigration needs to be changed. Quick.

In US we have black people, mexicans, natives, white people, asians
Considering your quote it will be a wrong destination for you
So how far back does this have to go? All humans originally came from Africa. Otherwise, which one of the many times we've been invaded and our ethnic makeup totally transformed is the start of "Britishness"? The original celts? The romans? Saxons? Vikings? Normans?

Please, enlighten me.

Are you claiming that all humans are African? That's a bit too far back to go, IMO, especially since the species has gone through so many changes since then.

I'll say around a thousand years, since it's been a thousand years or so since we were last invaded. Roman, Saxon, Viking and Norman invasions have all contributed to the ethnic group of 'British'.

All I'm saying is that anyone can be a British citizen but not anyone could be a member of the indigenous white population of Britain.

I don't have anything against people of other skin colours living here, that's just my view.
Original post by Violetlynnv
I agree that Britain has recently become insanely multicultural - but how exactly is this a bad thing? Multiculturalism is the route away from racism and racial stereotypes, and it has given us an opportunity to redeem ourselves after the centuries we've spent pillaging other people's land. In our day and age, blood is absolutely meaningless. We identify ourselves with the society and the setting we grew up in, and the values we were raised upon.

I do understand you on one point, however, and will augment it with this fact: The UK and the US are both equally overrun with immigrants. However, americans have a MUCH better idea of what it means to be American than the brits have of what it means to be British.

There is no reason we can't be multicultural, but we have failed to successfully merge these cultures and create true national unity. The UK is made up of a patchwork of ethnicities, from the indigenous white brits to the afro-caribbean to the pakistani to the chinese to the indian. Rather than reverting back to a state of unipolar ethnicity, would it not be better for us to focus on mixing it all up and creating a new, strong, diverse but proudly unified British identity?

I don't think you can merge cultures. You only need to look at parts of Birmingham and Bradford to see that the ethnic population isn't spread out. They don't assimilate themselves into British culture. They simply create a community of their own ethnic group in a certain part of the town/city, and completely monopolise the area. Schools in Birmingham where white children are in the minority.

When the population is over 90% white, we must question why we have schools that are over 85% ethnic. Why is this? Why do they not assimilate into British culture?

Is our culture incompatible?
being 'english' doesn't even exist, seeing as as a country, we've been colonised for thousands of years............. just saying :colonhash:
Reply 75
Original post by Gizmo!
why is it a non sequitur? Long before you were around, when Britain was more ye olde 'real' British , the royal family were DIRECTLY GERMAN.

The Royal Family has never been "directly" German, unless you are referring to the Anglo-Saxon kings prior to the Norman conquest. You need to qualify what you are trying to imply by the term "directly".

Original post by viksta1000
ok? so what's your point :s-smilie:? I was trying to emphasize the fact that she's not 'British', and you've just confirmed that :biggrin:

She is British - she was born in Britain. Her blood-line traces back to William I, regardless of foreign consorts.

And, what a foolish logic. I think you will find that a large proportion of British people have mixed ancestry.
Original post by storna

She is British - she was born in Britain. Her blood-line traces back to William I, regardless of foreign consorts.

And, what a foolish logic. I think you will find that a large proportion of British people have mixed ancestry.

ok :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by DLJ

Immigrants constitute a higher proportion of the population in both the US and Australia relative to Britain. Also, presumably according to your own beliefs, you should be prevented from leaving since you may endanger American/Australian heritage?
I don't think you can merge cultures. You only need to look at parts of Birmingham and Bradford to see that the ethnic population isn't spread out. They don't assimilate themselves into British culture. They simply create a community of their own ethnic group in a certain part of the town/city, and completely monopolise the area. Schools in Birmingham where white children are in the minority.

When the population is over 90% white, we must question why we have schools that are over 85% ethnic. Why is this? Why do they not assimilate into British culture?

Is our culture incompatible?

Generally, yes. Take the general view of the Indians on marriage and filial piety, and compare it to our own. Take the attitude of Pakistanis towards women's rights, and compare it with our own. They are radically different. There is a massive issue with isolationism, because those who have travelled to the UK retain such a tight hold on the cultures of the homeland and would rather live amongst people in a similar position. Merging cultures means compromises in particularly incompatible areas - and seeing as they are foreigners in Britain I don't think there's a question as to whom these compromises should come from - but that requires a willingness to integrate and change that can only be achieved through the youth. There's not much we can do about the current state of the UK, but if schools were to place more emphasis on integration and British identity (perhaps the same way as the americans do in the US) rather than encouraging multiculturalism and heterogenous diversity, we could be looking at a more unified Britain in the next 10 or 15 years.
Reply 79

The overwhelming majority of white people aren't British.

Latest

Trending

Trending