The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Best accomodation for Cardiff first years?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by natashapt
Oooo we may be in the same places then! Its so exciting meeting new people before you go haha :biggrin: yes deffo, i think id cry if i didnt get talybont, but at least were still in the marvelous city of cardiff!! xx

Hope so! Would be great to know people before I go :biggrin:
True it's an awesome city can't wait to start! x
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by x-Leo-x
Hope so! Would be great to know people before I go :biggrin:
True it's an awesome city can't wait to start! x

Were both welshies too hehe! FB me if you want, Natasha Thomas..its a black and white pic with a guy on the left, and a girl on the right (me!) smiling! Heh only if you want to recognise me when were actually in Cardiff mind! :biggrin: x
Original post by psychsarah
Hey! I'm thinking of applying to talybont but do you know how far it is from the psychology department? I think it might have been the one we saw on the open day but we took the bus there and i can't really remember how long it took lol. and also do you have a favourite among all the talybonts? thaanks :smile:

Psychology is probably a 20-25minute walk from Taly Court, and 30minutes from the furthest edge of Talybont [I can't remember if it's north or south as I never lived there, but had friends]. Talybont is very social, but very full on, noise etc so make sure that's the kind of thing you like!
Reply 23
Were both welshies too hehe! FB me if you want, Natasha Thomas..its a black and white pic with a guy on the left, and a girl on the right (me!) smiling! Heh only if you want to recognise me when were actually in Cardiff mind! :biggrin: x

We'll both be Cardiff gurls by September :biggrin:
You'd be surprised how many Natasha Thomas's there are! Hope I got the right one don't want to be adding randomers! hehe my names Glesni (a very welsh name that 1/4 of my family from england can't pronounce - very awkward!) by the way I'm the brown haired one on the left who always manages to look miserable in photos :wink: contrast to your smiling one anyway!! X
Original post by fredscarecrow
Psychology is probably a 20-25minute walk from Taly Court, and 30minutes from the furthest edge of Talybont [I can't remember if it's north or south as I never lived there, but had friends]. Talybont is very social, but very full on, noise etc so make sure that's the kind of thing you like!

aww right thanks :smile: thought i'd better check its not a hike away lol! oooh i'm ok with noise except at night, as i need it to be q quite! do things sort of quiet down late on or is it noise at all hours? thanks!
Hey! I'm thinking of applying to talybont but do you know how far it is from the psychology department? I think it might have been the one we saw on the open day but we took the bus there and i can't really remember how long it took lol. and also do you have a favourite among all the talybonts? thaanks :smile:

Not very far at all! It's probably the closest department to Talybont.

I think Talybont south is the closest to it/everything, then north, then court. Neither of them are very far from it though really, the maximum is probably about 20 minutes, the minimum about 10.

And I've only been in talybont court, but talybont north & south are probably the best!
Original post by Nottingham_Banker
Is Senghetto full of engineers, mathematicians and scientists?

I ask because I would like to be close to lectures/town but don't want to be living with loads of (mostly guy) techies as I will be studying physics.

Would it be worth the walk from talybont, for the more 'fun' and female filled social life? :colondollar:

Not sure, I've never been there, but I imagine there is a lot of them since it's the closest accomodation to those departments. There'll probably still be a lot of people doing other subjects though.

And to be honest, I think it'd be worth the walk, yeah. Definitely.
aww right thanks :smile: thought i'd better check its not a hike away lol! oooh i'm ok with noise except at night, as i need it to be q quite! do things sort of quiet down late on or is it noise at all hours? thanks!

It really depends where your room is/who you live with, I'm afraid. Freshers will be noisy most of the time, and first term in general tends to be bad from what I've heard [first years in first term = no cares in the world + freedom :p:] but towards summer I imagine it quietens down. If you've got a room facing into the centre, it'll be loud, because you'll have people walking home at night, past your windows. I know groundfloor flats suffer more. Also, if you live with party-holders etc, you'll obviously have internal noise.
The thing is, you'll get that in most halls, it comes with the territory I'm afraid. At day time students sleep, at night, they party =/ I don't know if senghenydd is any quieter. I was in a student house on column road, and it was lovely and quiet at the back, but those on the front had the noise of revellers returning home in the early hours.

To be honest, your best bet is a lot of patience and a pair of effective ear plugs. It's only for a year, and then in second year, move to a side street :p: as they're much quieter!
Original post by amyjade93
just submited my accomodation too but im slightly panicing! opened up the document about the procedure after you had submited your choices and it said, application for residences deadline was end of february and they'd allocate in week begining 7th March?! help am i now going to end up with my 10th choice :frown:

I think that means students in second year who want to live in halls again :smile: You can apply for 1st year accomodation until August I think, or maybe a little sooner
Reply 29
Hi guys, I made a video about Talybont North! Check it out if you're thinking of applying (:
I live there at the moment and there's such a great fresher's atmosphere. I think it's the best place to go if you really want to enjoy your first year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkQHL_KH4kY
I just wanted to get involved, seeing this thread has made me all excited about September! :smile:
Firmed Cardiff a few weeks ago, applied for accomodation a few days after. I can't even remember my choices exactly, I know my top 3 were Taly South, Court then North (with a couple of the reduced/small ones. I really want an ensuite!)
Even if you get put in a welsh speaking one I doubt everyone there speaks welsh :smile: What have you applied to do :biggrin: I guess il be seeing you in september! xx

Everyone in a welsh speaking flat does speak welsh, most of the time
Reply 32
Original post by huntthehaunted
Everyone in a welsh speaking flat does speak welsh, most of the time

Guess it's a good thing I can speak fluent Welsh then
Reply 33
Original post by abigailrebecca
I just wanted to get involved, seeing this thread has made me all excited about September! :smile:
Firmed Cardiff a few weeks ago, applied for accomodation a few days after. I can't even remember my choices exactly, I know my top 3 were Taly South, Court then North (with a couple of the reduced/small ones. I really want an ensuite!)

Awesme I chose the exact same as you, was desperate to get an ensuite!
does anyone know how the social life at sengheneydd is?
Reply 35
Original post by cheekymonkey1993
I think that means students in second year who want to live in halls again :smile: You can apply for 1st year accomodation until August I think, or maybe a little sooner

Allocation for freshers doesn't start until early July (for unconditional offer holders). Conditional offer holders will hear soon after they get their results.

Original post by you-belong-with-me
does anyone know how the social life at sengheneydd is?

Pretty good. As ever it depends on your house and flatmates. I'm in Hall and it's good enough (though I stick with friends in my club more these days) and I know plenty of Court people as well. I wouldn't worry, there's always tons of people from Court going out. It's certainly an easier night out as there's no need to get taxis etc.

Taly does have a reputation for being the most social though and there's probably some truth to that. Doesn't mean other places aren't good fun too.
im applying for dentistry, am i right in thinking talybont is the best choice?
Reply 37
Applied for Civil Engineering :smile:

Literally just sent off my reply's so still waiting for the email from Cardiff. I, like everyone here seems to be, torn between Senghennydd and Talybont. Leaning towards Senghennydd because I am not bothered about ensuite and it is so convenient it seems.
Reply 38
I'm in Talybont North and I love it. I highly recommend Talybont, which one you choose though depends on what you want.

Court is spacious and newest but it's very close to the main road so the traffic (particularly ambulances) can be really loud. Also, it's very tall which is fine if the lift works. Court has a closed in shower so your stuff stays dry which is nice.

South is newish, the rooms are guarenteed to be a decent size. Has a fair size "ensuite", it's a wet room really but they're quite nice. South is VERY loud at night, which is great if you're being loud too but if you need to sleep it's not so good. Also, I've been water bombed in Talysouth - bad times.

Talybont north is oldest. The houses are more spaced out but the room sizes vary. I live in one of the bigger ones which still isn't huge but it's fine. The reduced rooms are the same but have a little less floor space and the reduced room 6... well it's tiny. But if that's all you need, great! The "ensuite" is again a wet room but these ones are plastic. We call them pods. They're so small everything gets wet when you shower but it does the job.

I make North sound awful but personally I love it. I'm 2 minutes from the laundrette, 5 minutes from the Talybont south shop and 7 from court. I'm 5 minutes from Tesco and 2 minutes from Mc Donalds and KFC should a post hangover meal be needed. I'm also 5 minutes from the Talybont social (sort of like it's own pub, very cheap drinks) and the Talybont Gym which is the best in Cardiff, the All Blacks trained there before their match against Wales last November :smile:

Talybont is great and the walk isn't that far anywhere. Half hour to Engineering from North, 20minutes from south. Psycology tower/Biosceinces/Optometry(mine) - 20 minutes from North, 10 from Court, Maths and music - 25 from North and 15 from Court.

For Heath campus students, North is about as close as you can get and still have reasonable access to the town centre (cheaper taxis?). If you're not bothered about town, try Allensbank House.

North is also closest to Tesco, the others aren't that far away but they seem further with heavy shopping bags and Tesco do not look kindly on students stealing trolleys. If you choose further away, rucksacks are a good idea or some people have wheely cart things.

South is quite a party area so if you like that go for there :smile:

Court has a lot of international students, so if you want to meet people from around the world that's a good option.

Does this help? Sorry if I've rambled a tad.
South sounds sick!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending