The Student Room Group

Please help, Keele or Northampton?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Swimmer
Mmm thats the thing, if Northampton was ranked as high as keele then I would defo go Northampton...ah im so stressed!

Keele is a research, science and medical Uni, which can somewhat skew the rankings, check out the ranking on your subject for a better indication on which one is better.
Reply 21
Original post by Zottula
Well most people at Keele seem to love it. Maybe you should go into the Keele forum and ask people about Keele. I'm being a bit negative because my experience was quite bad but also the student life I want to have is different from most people's ideal. How lower ranked is Northampton? And which subject?

Law, Keele is ranked like in top 40s wheras Northampton is in top 90/80s....and what forum are you talking bout?
Reply 22
Original post by gbduo
Keele is a research, science and medical Uni, which can somewhat skew the rankings, check out the ranking on your subject for a better indication on which one is better.

Keele is ranked higher for Law, much higher.
Reply 23
I can't wait to get out of northampton personally.
Reply 24
Original post by Swimmer
Keele is ranked higher for Law, much higher.

Well if that is what you want to do and you have an unconditional offer, don't you think that should be the most important criteria along with how you like the place?

I mean Keele is a good laugh, but at the end of the day, you go to Uni to learn and get a degree, would seem a little silly to sacrifice this for a social life, no?
Reply 25
Original post by Swimmer
Law, Keele is ranked like in top 40s wheras Northampton is in top 90/80s....and what forum are you talking bout?

Ok well for Law reputation does matter quite a bit. I think in that case you should seriously consider Keele. Admittedly I had a bad time, but that's because that's mainly because I had problems with my course, so naturally I had a rather negative opinion of the place. If you like drinking and partying, trust me, the people at Keele do a lot of that.

Keele forum is here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=120
Reply 26
Grrr...still undecided...its not only about social life, the town too, I mean I will be living there for 3 years and will probably be working there after studies. I heard Stoke is full of BNP supporters and such..damm I really dont know.
Reply 27
Original post by Swimmer
Grrr...still undecided...its not only about social life, the town too, I mean I will be living there for 3 years and will probably be working there after studies. I heard Stoke is full of BNP supporters and such..damm I really dont know.

Would it be possible for you to visit the area?
Original post by Swimmer

Most locals are really friendly, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's a relatively deprived city so it is lacking in certain shops and restaurants that other cities have, but we even have a Starbucks now! It has enough to get by, and Hanley has plenty of bars and clubs. I usually go out at the weekends when I'm at home so drinks it's quite expensive, but I hear the student nights are decent. Northampton isn't such a big city (I've never visited though), so I don't think you'll gain much on the social side by choosing it over Keele.
Reply 29
Original post by Zottula
Would it be possible for you to visit the area?

I been to the uni and drive past the area quickly...as im from London not sure I can..deadline for UCAS is soon aswell..
Original post by Swimmer
...for Law.

Keele seems to be very isolated with not many bars/clubs etc...

Northampton on the other hand has nice clubs and is located in nice area...also I've got few friends there so I would feel more at home than at Keele..

Would it be daft if I chose Northampton over Keele?

Btw, I got Unconditional for both.

my cousin did Law at Northampton a few years ago (about 3 i think) and she loved it - go for it :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by ArtGoblin
Most locals are really friendly, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's a relatively deprived city so it is lacking in certain shops and restaurants that other cities have, but we even have a Starbucks now! It has enough to get by, and Hanley has plenty of bars and clubs. I usually go out at the weekends when I'm at home so drinks it's quite expensive, but I hear the student nights are decent. Northampton isn't such a big city (I've never visited though), so I don't think you'll gain much on the social side by choosing it over Keele.

I see...What clubs you got there except Liquid?
Reply 32
Original post by Swimmer
I been to the uni and drive past the area quickly...as im from London not sure I can..deadline for UCAS is soon aswell..

Yeah. Think you have to reply in May. I think. Not sure. Well at least you've had a quick look around I suppose.
Reply 33
Original post by thegodofgod
my cousin did Law at Northampton a few years ago (about 3 i think) and she loved it - go for it :biggrin:

Ah I see, do you mind me asking if she has a legal job atm or?
Reply 34
Original post by Zottula
Yeah. Think you have to reply in May. I think. Not sure. Well at least you've had a quick look around I suppose.

April the 5th :biggrin:
Reply 35
Northampton over Keele.
but im biased seen as i spend the best three yrs of my life there. :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Golly-Gosh
Northampton over Keele.
but im biased seen as i spend the best three yrs of my life there. :smile:

Ye!, wenever i go there i love it!
Original post by Swimmer
Ah I see, do you mind me asking if she has a legal job atm or?

honestly, I have no idea at the moment, I heard she was switching jobs (within the legal stuff) but I'll get back to you on that when I find out a bit more :redface:

sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 38
Original post by Swimmer
April the 5th :biggrin:

Are you sure?

Just checked the UCAS website and it said:

"5 May 2011 - If we receive all decisions from your universities/colleges by 31 March, you need to reply to any offers by this date (unless you live outside the EU or you are applying through Extra). If we don't receive your replies, we will decline your offers on your behalf."

Maybe I'm being stupid and missing something (as usual :tongue:).
Reply 39
Original post by Zottula
Are you sure?

Just checked the UCAS website and it said:

"5 May 2011 - If we receive all decisions from your universities/colleges by 31 March, you need to reply to any offers by this date (unless you live outside the EU or you are applying through Extra). If we don't receive your replies, we will decline your offers on your behalf."

Maybe I'm being stupid and missing something (as usual :tongue:).

Haha, thats me my bad :biggrin: May is nice...but I need to firm it ASAP as accomandation is being booked April/May time anyway..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending