The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia
****ing LOTS. :hmpf: Unless you do it on an absolute shoestring (registry office, minimal guests, meal down the pub) it runs into thousands and thousands really quickly. Everything doubles in price just because it has "wedding" in front of it, and there are things that you would never have thought of which now become "essential" if you want to do it properly.

(NB am currently bankrupting myself and going slightly mad trying to plan mine).

I think they pick the couples deliberately so the grooms won't be that competent and the brides will be a bit stroppy. My fiancé wanted to go on it, and he'd be pretty good at it, I think, and I wouldn't just sit at home bitching and crying about how much I missed him after two days/how he was going to ruin my perfect princess day, but that wouldn't make good TV.

They're all we've been together x years type but never spent more than a few days apart...really? Very dramaesque. apparently the vegas couple had a more traditional second do a year later...What is now essential, I'm intrigued!
Reply 2201
Original post by Helenia

I think they pick the couples deliberately so the grooms won't be that competent and the brides will be a bit stroppy. My fiancé wanted to go on it, and he'd be pretty good at it, I think, and I wouldn't just sit at home bitching and crying about how much I missed him after two days/how he was going to ruin my perfect princess day, but that wouldn't make good TV.

Yeah but for 12K you'd get a bit sneeky. Give them the plan before hand, then on camera day start stropping that "you hate that dress" "all I ever wanted was a small dinner with family friends!" etc etc :wink:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I think it's more that fact that he'd get to choose everything and it would drive me nuts not being able to have a say in anything :rolleyes:

Isn't the average cost like £16k now? So the £12k you get on DTTB isn't really an extravagant figure to play with :dontknow:

Meh, on a completly different note, saw a pt with a girdlestone - epic orthofail!
Reply 2203
Original post by Helenia
****ing LOTS. :hmpf: Unless you do it on an absolute shoestring (registry office, minimal guests, meal down the pub) it runs into thousands and thousands really quickly. Everything doubles in price just because it has "wedding" in front of it, and there are things that you would never have thought of which now become "essential" if you want to do it properly.
I despair. :afraid:
Original post by Wangers
They're all we've been together x years type but never spent more than a few days apart...really? Very dramaesque. apparently the vegas couple had a more traditional second do a year later...What is now essential, I'm intrigued!

There is endless stuff which you "must" have, all of which is expensive and only some of which I can bring myself to do without. A brief list: -

flowers (budget for this is potentially endless, I am being VERY conservative)

photography

video/DVD

favours

table decorations

cars

hair/makeup

gifts for bridesmaids/ushers/parents/cats

live music of varying flavours

stationery

cake

And that's without the staples of booze, food and something to wear. Dresses are mostly around the £1000 mark (though again, upper limit of the budget is virtually infinite) and on top of that you need shoes, veil, ?tiara, jewellery... Oh, and the registrar charges double for marrying you in an "approved venue" rather than in their own registry office. :hmpf:

Renal
I despair. :afraid:

So how's your planning going?
Reply 2205
Original post by Helenia
So how's your planning going?
My planning?

Crazyhelicopter's planning is going fine. I think. :wink:
Reply 2206
Original post by Renal
My planning?

Crazyhelicopter's planning is going fine. I think. :wink:

I'm fed up of waiting though. Can you not bring it forward a little? :wink:
Reply 2207
Original post by Egypt
I'm fed up of waiting though. Can you not bring it forward a little? :wink:
We haven't received an invite to yours yet!
Reply 2208
I heard (via various magazines/forums) the average was more like £20,000?

I think ours was worth it though - you only do it the once... :love:

Original post by Helenia
There is endless stuff which you "must" have, all of which is expensive and only some of which I can bring myself to do without. A brief list...

We ended up spending money in some odd places, my take on the list:

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2209

I'm more of a big squidgy duvet with perhaps a toe/head peeping out type > :hoppy: ! :tongue:
Reply 2210
Had a patient so fat she filled up the MRI machine. Made for some laughs at the images during the MDT meeting.

Also had two guys play around with their friend's insulin pen. Each came in with GCS 3 and probably a BM of 0 (I don't actually know what it was).
Original post by SMed
Had a patient so fat she filled up the MRI machine. Made for some laughs at the images during the MDT meeting.

Also had two guys play around with their friend's insulin pen. Each came in with GCS 3 and probably a BM of 0 (I don't actually know what it was).

We have had to transfer patients to some veterinary hospital in North London for MRI before now.

Elles
We ended up spending money in some odd places, my take on the list:

Spoiler

Thanks! :biggrin:

Where on earth did you find a dress at that price though? I have only seen one under £800 and it was horrible.
Original post by SMed

Rumour mill tells of a pt on the larger side who got sent to London Zoo for scans, but got bumped down the list because a Rhino was ill...

Also, whats a favour?
Reply 2213
Original post by Wangers
Rumour mill tells of a pt on the larger side who got sent to London Zoo for scans, but got bumped down the list because a Rhino was ill...

Also, whats a favour?

I thought you were asking me what a favour was there for a second. :rolleyes:
Original post by Helenia
favour

What is a favour? They look like little box like things?
Oh God, the oldies are cluttering up the thread with old people talk. :ahee:
Original post by Wangers

Also, whats a favour?

Little gifts for people to take away, usually you leave them by the place settings at the table. Traditionally it was sugared almonds but today you can do almost anything and again, budget can be stretched endlessly if you fall for the crap they try to sell you at wedding fairs. Stuff like this: http://www.fabulousfavours.co.uk/

(NB this is one area where I do know what I want and it's not going to cost the earth, thank goodness!)
Reply 2217
Original post by Wangers
Not that uncommon.

(But we try not to let on, it's much more fun to tell patients to go home as they're too fat to scan :colone:)
Reply 2218
Original post by Elles
I'm more of a big squidgy duvet with perhaps a toe/head peeping out type > :hoppy: ! :tongue:
Pics or GTFO! :tongue:
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Oh God, the oldies are cluttering up the thread with old people talk. :ahee:

let's be freshers. FRESHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZ

I'm quite durnk.

Also I can't remember but were you there when people were gossiping about me and RT [QUOTE= Onychophagia I can't remember who it was and it's irritating when I lose recolleciton of... everything :p:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending