The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by SamAndrews1
HEYA GUYS!! :biggrin:

Does anyone have an offer to study PPS at Sidney?? I've been trying to find the other 3/4 people for ages with no luck "/ If anyone else knows them please message me :smile: Also, who else is doing PPS out there??

And a side...I'm bringing my horse up to Cambridge with me. I don't suppose anyone else is or if anyone is planning on playing polo or joing the team at Haggis Farm??

I got pooled away from sidney to corpus for PPS. Not bad though seeming the lecture halls are next door to corpus :P

aha im not sure about bringing a bike... let alone a horse. Do you we really need bikes if your in the centre of Cambridge?
I'm scared ****less that after all that I won't get an A*.
Scary scary scary times.
I mean if I don't get an A* Cam would not be the place for me anyway, but still.
AHHHHHH :smile:
Original post by Ca11ie

Original post by Ca11ie
I remember when I was down there on the 'VetCam' open day (did you go on that?) that one of the students doing tours was from Murray Edwards, and she loved it there :smile:

No, i just went on the open day in june :biggrin:
I'm just excited that we're allowed to walk on grass!!!!:smile: haha and the people were sooooo friendly! :smile: :smile: (and also the director of studies isnt scary, which is always good!)
Reply 1323
Original post by colourfulcrissi
Scary scary scary times.
I mean if I don't get an A* Cam would not be the place for me anyway, but still.

Depends though you might just not get an A* for a stupid reason like misreading a question. AHhhh

Does anyone know what happens if you get an A* in a different subject than the one on your offer? My A* is in psychology, but its the 'softest' out of all my subjects so surely getting an A* in math should be better anyway? Or does the offer go straight to your insurance?

Scary scary scary times.

Aww good luck! hope you get the A* (does it specify which subject?)
Reply 1325
Original post by Bubbles2010
No, i just went on the open day in june :biggrin:
I'm just excited that we're allowed to walk on grass!!!!:smile: haha and the people were sooooo friendly! :smile: :smile: (and also the director of studies isnt scary, which is always good!)

Stupid me asking a medic about a vet open day, sorry, I'm not very with it tonight.
We're allowed to walk on grass too! Yay! =D
And since I was pooled there I didn't go to the open day, so back in February when I was staying with family near Cambridge I went in for the day to look round Sidney.I was really nervous about meeting my director of studies but he was so nice, as was everyone there :smile: He did say that he'd once almost thrown someone out of a window for not being suitably prepared for a supervision, but he WAS joking! (I hope =L)
Reply 1326
Original post by Ca11ie
Oh yeah, Cambridge'll be like the Caribbean for me :smile:
Ouch, English winters will be a bit of a shock for you I should think! :P
And yes, Edinburgh is lovely (and these last couple of days have been really summery, for once!). Oh dear, I'm talking about the weather. Living up to the stereotype there! =L
Unfortunately neither of my friends which the science/music combination will be at Cambridge =( One didn't apply, and one got rejected (which I am still completely mystified by, I thought they had a much better chance than I did =S )

Hahaha, no it's not your fault! I brought up weather.
It will be awesome though - I'll finally get to wear cold-season-clothes often ^_^ I only get to wear scarves for about one week in a year here, it's too hot otherwise :P I'm also looking forward to the fact that I can walk outside in May/June time and not be worried of burning to death in the heat :biggrin: which would be a pleasant change :P
Some of my friends who I thought were as good as or better candidates than I am didn't get in - it always confuses me too :/ I guess Cambridge can't accept all 16000 people who apply to them every year though :frown:

Original post by katey_doodles
Haha definitely do! What does your friend study? :smile:
I knowwww, isn't it the weirdest thing? It was exactly the same with me, I just felt so...comfortable in John's :smile: Christ's is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l, I actually considered applying there!
Oh noooo, that must be tough :/ I'm sure you'll be alright though. What better motivation than the Cambridge folk wanting you to come and study with them? :biggrin:
Haha! Rightttt...so lemme get this straight. Physics = stars...Bio = leaves...Chem = explosions? Got it! :biggrin:
Okay, I think I may be being dense here (it's been a loooooong day!) but I don't get your question about VetMeds? I'm feeling a little slow today :tongue:

He's studying Economics, he's in the year above us :smile: he's more of a good acquaintance than a friend I would say :smile:
Christ's isn't as big as St. Johns in terms of wealth or physical area, but it's all about what suits the individual :smile: I'm hoping I'll be okay - for me, I just want somewhere which is homely - I know I'm going to miss home a lot next year.

Haha yes :biggrin: Good way to remember the sciences :smile: Next. Material Science: the science of materials. Computer Science: the science of computers. Physiology of Organisms: The science of the bodies of organisms. Think you could learn that? xD (these are all modules on the Natural Sciences course btw :P)

Sorry I typed the last bit in a hurry. Im eant to ask, approximately how many Vet Meds are there per year at Cam? So how many will be in your year? :smile:

Original post by nibbler12
You heard wrong.

Disclaimer: As a Glaswegian I'm obliged to hate Edinburgh so this may have influenced the above statemetnt.

I'm sorry D:
Reply 1327
Original post by Jacke02
Depends though you might just not get an A* for a stupid reason like misreading a question. AHhhh

Does anyone know what happens if you get an A* in a different subject than the one on your offer? My A* is in psychology, but its the 'softest' out of all my subjects so surely getting an A* in math should be better anyway? Or does the offer go straight to your insurance?

If you were to get an A* in a different subject, and not psychology, then your college would no longer be obliged to accept you. However, they could still accept you, despite not meeting the precise conditions of your offer. How likely this is... I don't know. But it's definitely not unheard of to accept people even if they do not meet the precise requirements of their offer. You wouldn't be automatically transferred to your insurance, until the college decided. You would also have time to apply for an emergency remark of psychology, as if you meet the conditions by the end of August, then I believe they still have to accept you. But hopefully it won't come to that!
Reply 1328
Original post by kpatb
I'm doing A levels :smile:
hahaha, yes your subjects are an unusual combination also, but I personally love the total contrast of the sciences with Music :smile: It's great and a nice way for me to relax!
Actually there are very few people I know who do Music as well as theo ther subjects I do - I would love to meet more people who do!

I live in the Middle East but I'm from all over the place :P
Edinburgh - I 've heard it's beautiful!
I guess you'll have no problem with the weather in Cambridge, unlike me, who's accustomed to about 45 degrees Celsius summers :P

i live in the middle east too
iam from palestine where are you from?
Reply 1329
Is anyone else worried about the workload and how stressful it might be at Cambridge?
Original post by Jacke02
I got pooled away from sidney to corpus for PPS. Not bad though seeming the lecture halls are next door to corpus :P

aha im not sure about bringing a bike... let alone a horse. Do you we really need bikes if your in the centre of Cambridge?

Ahh at least you've got an offer, that's the main thing :smile: Corpus looks lush (not as good as Sidney though :wink: ) Its going to be mayhem with the bikes...I think I may just walk. Or maybe everyone says that until they catch the Cambridge bike fever :eek:
Original post by Ca11ie
I originally applied to Trinity Hall and got pooled to Sidney, but I'm actually really glad I did as I actually like it even more. It has all the pluses of trinity hall (small, central) plus just seems friendlier =). Since I didn't go to the open days, when I was down south I visited cambridge to see sidney, met my director of studies and like you said, everyone was lovely!

They've done you a massive favour :biggrin:
Original post by -jessica
Is anyone else worried about the workload and how stressful it might be at Cambridge?

Yup!! I heard that we're basically going to be under immense stress for the rest of our time there...:biggrin:
The one things that's getting me through this thought is the idea of having May Balls :tongue: they sound like amazing party-times!
Original post by CountDuckula

Yup!! I heard that we're basically going to be under immense stress for the rest of our time there...:biggrin:
The one things that's getting me through this thought is the idea of having May Balls :tongue: they sound like amazing party-times!

My college doesnt hold a may ball!!! :frown: :frown:
Reply 1334
They've done you a massive favour :biggrin:

I think so too :biggrin: I like Sidney much better!
Reply 1335
Original post by dinat
i live in the middle east too
iam from palestine where are you from?

I live in the Middle East, but I'm not of any middle eastern nationality :smile:
What's it like in your area of Palestine right now?
Are you excited for next year? :smile:
Reply 1336
Original post by kpatb
I live in the Middle East, but I'm not of any middle eastern nationality :smile:
What's it like in your area of Palestine right now?
Are you excited for next year? :smile:

oh ok , but what nationality are you from and where do you live , like is it somewhere with revolutions right now
things are very stable where i live right now , nothing is going on at the moment ( i don't live in gaza )
iam more than excited for next year , i just can't wait , what about you?
Reply 1337
Original post by dinat
oh ok , but what nationality are you from and where do you live , like is it somewhere with revolutions right now
things are very stable where i live right now , nothing is going on at the moment ( i don't live in gaza )
iam more than excited for next year , i just can't wait , what about you?

I'm Indian and yes, I live in a slightly problematic area, but we're safe for the time being :smile:
Hahah me too, very excited and nervous.

Just go crash some other college's May Ball - duh! :biggrin:

Its going to be mayhem with the bikes...I think I may just walk. Or maybe everyone says that until they catch the Cambridge bike fever :eek:

First time I went to Cambridge was for my interview. I knew there were a lot of bikes around, but I dont think I had grasped the concept of 'Bike Fever' at that stage.
So, The number of times my mother and I almost got run over by a bicycle was ridiculous. I never knew the darned things could be so dangerous -_- CURSE YOU, BIKES.
(edited 13 years ago)

Come to mine!! I don't actually think we have May Balls either...but a Snowball sounds just as fun :smile:

Come to mine!! I don't actually think we have May Balls either...but a Snowball sounds just as fun :smile:

:biggrin: omg a Snowball!! that's does sound awesome :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending