The Student Room Group

help..How likely is it that i will get into medicine?

Hi Guys, i intend to undertake a degree in medicine and would like some advice on how likely it is that i will get into medicine...

i have sent 32 university's in united kingdom with my GCSE grades and a-level grades...

GCSE Grades

english: B

science: A

Science: A

ict: A* / DISTINCTION

ict: A*/ DISTINCTION

TURKISH: A*

religous studies: c

citezenship: C

as grades
TURKISH: B
MATHEMATICS: A

I am currently studying CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY, PHILOSOPHY AT AS GRADE.

Work experience

hospital placement

care home

chemist

homeless shelter

voluntary work

st john ambulence

teaching young students dance

charity work

teaching maths

teaching reading to not so able students

organising games club for year 7's

thank youu

rukan
Reply 1
-*wow

very able

just hope the interview goes well 4 u now
Reply 2
Did you do Maths at GCSE?!
Reply 3
Original post by raman1
-*wow

very able

just hope the interview goes well 4 u now

Thank you for your reply... well I thought I had little chance with some students getting all a*'s IN GCSE and A-level.
What do you study now?
Reply 4
Original post by gozatron
Did you do Maths at GCSE?!

thank you for your reply.
yes i did but at the time i didnt like maths so i messed up the first year and did extreamly well in yr 11. therefore i just scrapped a pass grade C.

but if i do the whole a-level course of maths then that will take over the gcse right?

oww just realised i didnt put down my maths grade! thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
hmm the AS A on maths definitely shows the gcse was an anomaly.
Reply 6
Original post by Fat-Love
hmm the AS A on maths definitely shows the gcse was an anomaly.

thank you for your reply. yes it was, maths was not REALLY the subject for me it was more science and ICT. you think its a disadvantage?
Reply 7
Original post by rukan

Original post by rukan
Thank you for your reply... well I thought I had little chance with some students getting all a*'s IN GCSE and A-level.
What do you study now?

in definintly not as able as u (god bless) i study Biology, chemistry, psychology and maths (statistics)

im finding the pressure 2 be 2 much - its really hard 2 handle
Reply 8
Original post by rukan

Original post by rukan
yes i did but at the time i didnt like maths so i messed up the first year and did extreamly well in yr 11. therefore i just scrapped a pass grade C.

but if i do the whole a-level course of maths then that will take over the gcse right?

You'll just need to be careful because some school will want at least a B in GCSE maths regardless of having an A at AS Maths.
Reply 9
Original post by raman1
in definintly not as able as u (god bless) i study Biology, chemistry, psychology and maths (statistics)

im finding the pressure 2 be 2 much - its really hard 2 handle

ohh come on im sure you can do it. the most important thing is to believe in yourself and know that its only a couple of months away before you start UCAS ( assuming your in AS now)

just believe in yourself and you can do it!
Reply 10
You'll just need to be careful because some school will want at least a B in GCSE maths regardless of having an A at AS Maths.

ive sent e-mails as i said to the university's and none told me that i should have B in GCSE if i have A IN A-level. I mean of course you will need it at GCSE B if you are not doing A-level maths defiantly. but im not sure about who would not as ive checked.
Reply 11
Some of your grades aren't listed perhaps, but despite some inconsistencies your A in Maths AS level clearly shows you're smart, and your experience sounds perfect.

So long as you incorporate it all effectively into your personal statement, and keep up the good work with current studies, ensuring the best possible grades, then of course you can :smile:
well...60% get straight rejections....

so you have a 40% chance :biggrin:

seriously though...you have an amazing application, make sure you own the UKCAT

although....GCSE maths???...where is it?
Original post by rukan

the C is VERY bad.....as many will not look at your application any further....

I would contact a few unis and ask if your AS maths grade will make up for the GCSE one
Reply 14
Original post by rukan

Original post by rukan
ive sent e-mails as i said to the university's and none told me that i should have B in GCSE if i have A IN A-level. I mean of course you will need it at GCSE B if you are not doing A-level maths defiantly. but im not sure about who would not as ive checked.

Places like Imperial want AAABB Minimum in GCSE Maths, Sciences, English regardless of A Level choices, but as you said, different med schools have different requirements.
Reply 15
Original post by Cityshy
Some of your grades aren't listed perhaps, but despite some inconsistencies your A in Maths AS level clearly shows you're smart, and your experience sounds perfect.

So long as you incorporate it all effectively into your personal statement, and keep up the good work with current studies, ensuring the best possible grades, then of course you can :smile:

thank you for your reply, but REALLY THEY ARE ALL OF MY GRADES :frown:

except i missed out GCSE MATHS WHICH I GOT A C IN :mad:
Reply 16
Original post by infernalcradle
well...60get straight rejections....

so you have a 40% chance :biggrin:

seriously though...you have an amazing application, make sure you own the UKCAT

although....GCSE maths???...where is it?

wow 60%! that is huge!

but you say i have an amazing application? in the sense of my experiences and not grades i guess? i did contact all the universitys that do UKCAT and their ok with it as long as i make it up in A-LEVELS?

i was thinking kings, Brighton and Sussex??
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Places like Imperial want AAABB Minimum in GCSE Maths, Sciences, English regardless of A Level choices, but as you said, different med schools have different requirements.

Cambridge, imperial, oxford and UCL are the ones i didnt really check out as they do BMAT so i guess you correct:smile:
Original post by rukan
wow 60%! that is huge!

but you say i have an amazing application? in the sense of my experiences and not grades i guess? i did contact all the universitys that do UKCAT and their ok with it as long as i make it up in A-LEVELS?

i was thinking kings, Brighton and Sussex??

kings and BSMS are both UKCAT heavy...so I'd only apply there with a Good UKCAT

but obviously you need to do that first and get your AS grades ;D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending