The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Bubbles2010
Yeah, for AS levels, she did Chemistry, Maths, History and Physics, then she dropped history and maths after AS.
For A2, she did Chem, and phys, and took on the whole of bio (As in jan, a2 in june)

Taking the entire A level in biology in one year is very hard.
Original post by navarre
Taking the entire A level in biology in one year is very hard.

very true - I can imagine :s-smilie:
Original post by Bubbles2010
Yeah, for AS levels, she did Chemistry, Maths, History and Physics, then she dropped history and maths after AS.
For A2, she did Chem, and phys, and took on the whole of bio (As in jan, a2 in june)

As great as that sounds, that's a huge risk imo.

Should I presume that she got A for Jan exams?
Reply 483
Original post by liviaaa
Is everyone cashing in their AS grades in the summer?

My college seems to be under the impression that they'll automatically be cashed in
and have been bothering students constantly about it >.>
Original post by cashy
My college seems to be under the impression that they'll automatically be cashed in

Our school hasn't even mentioned anything about the UCAS application and how it works -.- :confused:

consider yourself lucky :rolleyes:
Reply 485
Original post by cashy

I think the new thing is that they have to be cashed in, except private schools who have the choice?
Reply 486
Original post by liviaaa
I think the new thing is that they have to be cashed in, except private schools who have the choice?

Some cash them in, some don't. And it's not limited to private schools. Example my school (private) cashed them in, another local private one didn't and a local non-private one didn't.

It's pretty mixed, they tend to be cashed in so that the qualification is there even if the student doesn't continue on to do A2.
Original post by Notsocleverstudent

Original post by Notsocleverstudent
As great as that sounds, that's a huge risk imo.

Should I presume that she got A for Jan exams?

Yeah, she has :smile:
Reply 488
Original post by VaVe
Some cash them in, some don't. And it's not limited to private schools. Example my school (private) cashed them in, another local private one didn't and a local non-private one didn't.

It's pretty mixed, they tend to be cashed in so that the qualification is there even if the student doesn't continue on to do A2.

Okay :smile: Mine do, unless you specifically ask them not to.
Reply 489
Original post by liviaaa
Okay :smile: Mine do, unless you specifically ask them not to.

I suspect most would.
Reply 490
Also does anyone know how much universities are influenced by if you go to a private or non-private school?
Original post by liviaaa
Also does anyone know how much universities are influenced by if you go to a private or non-private school?

not too sure on that topic, although I know that if you go to a *really* crappy school, and come out with decent GCSE / AS grades, e.g. 4-5 A* and 3 or 4 As, then you'll be given preference at some universities.
Original post by cashy

I feel a bit of a pleb for not really understanding how it all works; can anyone explain?
Reply 493
Original post by Stegosaurus
I feel a bit of a pleb for not really understanding how it all works; can anyone explain?

Sure :smile: Basically with your UCAS form, you can either choose to cash in or not cash in your AS results. Cash in just means reveal what grades you got.

Uni's tend to prefer this as it's evidence you are able to achieve grades rather than other who don't cash in and are still just predicitions.

If you don't cash in, they may also put you at a disadvantage as they're assuming you haven't cashed them in because they were bad so you need to resit or something.

Hope that explains it!
Reply 494
For work experience, write a letter to the department you're interested in. And address it using the name, not 'Dear Sir/ Madam'.
Original post by liviaaa
x

So it's basically either getting a standalone grade for AS or simply carrying your UMS through into A2?
So it's basically either getting a standalone grade for AS or simply carrying your UMS through into A2?

you carry your UMS through to A2 regardless.

Some schools do it as policy, not to reveal AS grades, though I believe this does hinder them.
Some people, generally those with grades that wouldn't warrant a prediction of AAA, request their grades be withheld.
Original post by SteveCrain
you carry your UMS through to A2 regardless.

Oh yes, I know that!

How does it work then, if you 'withhold' your grades (not that I intend to)? Surely the uni would want to see them?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 498
Oh yes, I know that!

How does it work then, if you lwithhold lyour grades (not that I intend to)? Surely the uni would want to see them?

Yes they prefer to see them, but they don't get the choice - the students do!
Reply 499
Hi Guys, i intend to undertake a degree in medicine and would like some advice on how likely it is that i will get into medicine...

i have sent 32 university's in united kingdom with my GCSE grades and a-level grades...

GCSE Grades
english: B
science: A
Science: A
ict: A* / DISTINCTION
ict: A*/ DISTINCTION
TURKISH: A*
religous studies: c
citezenship: C
maths : c

as grades
TURKISH: B
MATHEMATICS: A

I am currently studying CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY, PHILOSOPHY AT AS GRADE.

Work experience
hospital placement
care home
chemist
homeless shelter

voluntary work
st john ambulence
teaching young students dance
charity work
teaching maths
teaching reading to not so able students
organising games club for year 7's