The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm a reapplicant!

Reapplying wise, I think 3 times is the most I heard of someone trying to get in to med school. I think being rejected (essentially) 12 times means you are really not suited for medicine.

However, I think it depends on how well you deal with rejection. As long as you are doing something during those years (working or studying) rather than waiting around for a possibly non-existent place there's no real harm in reapplying as many times as you see fit. (unless it's to your mental state :smile: )

I know some universities only allow you to apply twice at the most and do not reconsider your application after that. Seems a bit unfair, but you can see their point I guess. (St Andrews and Manchester are the main ones that do this I think...)
Reply 2
Original post by Harbour Seal
Reapplying wise, I think 3 times is the most I heard of someone trying to get in to med school. I think being rejected (essentially) 12 times means you are really not suited for medicine.

I met someone at a Liverpool GEP interview day who was on her fourth cycle and had finally gotten an offer. I can't imagine how amazing that must have felt for her! :redface:

I'm utterly amazed I got in first time, I wasn't even expecting any interviews!
Reply 3
Third time lucky here. And if I hadn't got in I would be trying again. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DexterM

Well done for you!! I have applied 2 times but a little anxious going for three. But there is nothing I'd rather do in life. Not getting in has got me so down and it shows how much I want this so I do really want to go for it again. Not sure though.

Can I ask what is your profile like?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 5
Original post by Aiboz
Well done for you!! I have applied 2 times but a little anxious going for three. But there is nothing I'd rather do in life. Not getting in has got me so down and it shows how much I want this so I do really want to go for it again. Not sure though.

Can I ask what is your profile like?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, and thanks! I'm a graduate so it's a little different for me, especially as I could only afford 4 year courses and have no science A Levels. But I know there is nothing I want to do more than medicine, and I am not prepared to settle. I'm pretty stubborn like that!

Sorry to hear about your rejections. Can you work out why you aren't getting offers? Are you getting interviews? Is it your UKCAT score? Work experience? If it's something you can improve on then I'd definitely suggest applying again - I know its 6 months of evil whilst you're applying plus another year out, but in the grand scheme of things that isn't long at all. :smile:
Reply 6
once!
Reply 7
Met someone who'd been rejected for 8 years in total at one of my interviews. His grades were not the problem, nor his degree (which he decided to do after being rejected for 3 or 4 years in a row), but I deducted that he interviewed badly.

He's still going for it, though, whilst working as a full-time HCA; I honestly think - and pray - that he gets a place!

EDIT: Didn't want to scare people, as I know of many who reapply and get multiple offers! Just wanted to say that if you decide to reapply - but feel like you're wasting your time, (which many of my friends have said) - you're not, and there are other people in your shoes. What I would disagree with, however, is reapplying multiple times without continuing education(/having a job).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by notepad
Met someone who'd been rejected for 8 years in total at one of my interviews. His grades were not the problem, nor his degree (which he decided to do after being rejected for 3 or 4 years in a row), but I deducted that he interviewed badly.

He's still going for it, though, whilst working as a full-time HCA; I honestly think - and pray - that he gets a place!

EDIT: Didn't want to scare people, as I know of many who reapply and get multiple offers! Just wanted to say that if you decide to reapply - but feel like you're wasting your time, (which many of my friends have said) - you're not, and there are other people in your shoes. What I would disagree with, however, is reapplying multiple times without continuing education(/having a job).

Holy ****!
Reply 9
Original post by DexterM

Same!!
Reply 10
Original post by DexterM

:five:
Reply 11
Original post by haleem
:five:

Wow.. Congratulations! I love how you stuck by medicine and it all proved well for you 3rd time round. What did you do during your gap year?
Reply 12
Original post by hardees
Wow.. Congratulations! I love how you stuck by medicine and it all proved well for you 3rd time round. What did you do during your gap year?

Thanks. Yeah, I think people give up too easily and plan on going down the grad route, which is probably even harder. I think its better just to keep reapplying as an undergrad tbh

Worked as a hca in first gap year, done much less during the second one...volunteering once a week and some travelling :tongue:
I know a guy who applied to medicine 5 times. Had loads of interviews, got rejected from all 4 on his 5th try. Decided he was gonna drop med and do a PhD. 1 week before university started he got a call from his 1st choice saying they had a space left does he want it.....Guess what he said......:ahee:
Reply 14
Original post by LewDacris

Original post by LewDacris
I know a guy who applied to medicine 5 times. Had loads of interviews, got rejected from all 4 on his 5th try. Decided he was gonna drop med and do a PhD. 1 week before university started he got a call from his 1st choice saying they had a space left does he want it.....Guess what he said......:ahee:

No. :colonhash:
He said yes :pierre:
Reply 16
Original post by haleem
Thanks. Yeah, I think people give up too easily and plan on going down the grad route, which is probably even harder. I think its better just to keep reapplying as an undergrad tbh

Worked as a hca in first gap year, done much less during the second one...volunteering once a week and some travelling :tongue:

Wow, well done! You seriously do deserve it. :smile:

So what did you different from the second application to the third application?
Reply 17
This is actually a really interesting poll! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Aiboz
Wow, well done! You seriously do deserve it. :smile:

So what did you different from the second application to the third application?

Thanks!
Not much tbh
Thing is I never got to the interview stage in the previous years, however that changed this year and the difference maker was the UKCAT! Although my ps defo improved, but I don't think this played much of a role in my application tbh
Reply 19
Original post by Beska
This is actually a really interesting poll! :smile:

I've been wondering this for ages!

Latest

Trending

Trending