The Student Room Group

Britain has the fourth highest quality of life in the world

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Layabout
Stop laying your posts out like this, it's really awkward to reply to.

Dont cry. Are my posts too hard for you to understand? This is a public forum so please do not try and dictate to me how to reply.

A small amount of people incredibly lucky and talented in the USA go on to become successful - regardless of the terrible public education system, not because of it. The vast majority of the population remain undereducated, ignorant and apathetic, just like the UK, Oxford and Cambridge don't stop this being true. And the fact universities only cater to the elite obviously negates your assertion that the fact they exist means the education system is good.

Well tell me a better system because obviously their seems to be a lot of intelligent Americans getting into the top companies all over the world. Obviously a lot of the population is going to be undereducated because of the sheer amount of people in the USA. Obviously the schools, colleges and universities are not going to be able to cater for all of them. Plus, a lot of Americans, especially in the South, do not even attend schools that are equivalent to the level of those in the North, through choice and nothing else. I also love how you can say the vast majority remain ignorant and apathetic yet you've only been their for one month. I've stayed in Vegas for a year and plan on going back when I graduate.

I spent 1 month in NYC and spent another month travelling through most of the East coast and Midwest, I don't claim to know everything about the USA based on this experience but I saw quite a lot.

Yes they really are - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/05/earlyshow/health/main5064981.shtml - the majority of bankruptcies can be put down to the extortionate cost of medical insurance. Also you really don't understand the housing market at all.

So what? That reflects the whole of the USA does it? No it really doesn't. CBS is equivalent to the biased media in this country. Stop reading everything you seen in tabloids, especially those from the American media which is extremely biased in its stories.

I do understand the housing market and American's should be able to cope as they have a better cost of living than here. If a house costs $70,000 then the mortgage is going to be a lot lower than a house here. Then you have to factor in their earnings which are often good compared to their expenditures and the price of food, fuel, etc is cheap. Its all about living within your means, as my auntie has done in the US. She's never had an issue at all and she has a medical condition but as she pays for insurance she's covered. The average annual premium for insurance is $3000 per person or you can get a package for between $6000-7000 for the family, as my auntie has done as she has a young daughter. Plus, you can also get insurance from your employer. $3000 is not much to insure yourself is it when teenagers can pay around £1500-2000 per year to drive in the UK. I'd much rather insure my health. Considering they also get taxed less and the cost of living is cheaper as well, it probably balances out if you spend within your means. The only ones who suffer from it are those who are irresponsible, as I've already stated.

Britain is indeed terrible but so is the USA, as I have said, the methods for defining and recording "violent crime" are completely different - in the UK any affray or threat of force is considered violent crime, in the USA someone has to be physically injured. What don't you understand? And I mentioned back people because you said it didn't matter, as it happened in deprived areas, it doesn't matter because the people who do it are poor and the people worst effected by it are poor - and in the USA discussions of crime and poverty implicitly involve race - it doesn't matter because it's black people who are worst affected.

The UK's statistics don't even include rapes, attempted rapes, cautions for drug possessions or crimes such as petty theft and still it was higher than the US in terms of population density. Crime does happen in deprived areas in the US, as it does here, so whats the issue? No its not just black people either. I've seen people in Vegas sleeping down alley ways and they're not only black, there is white people too. Okay, you may have some black dominated areas such as the projects in New York but their neighbourhoods and livelihoods are based on illegal activities. The police do a far better job at tackling those illegal activities than the police here who in some cases are actually scared to go into areas where gang activity is known. It even occurs in South Wales so god knows what its like in Manchester, London and Liverpool.

Other countries that are much "softer" with criminals have much lower rates of crime than the UK, Norway for example, and bear in mind that reoffending rates for criminals with a community penalty are much lower. All this shows is that the UK has failed to rehabiitate it's prisoners for the outside world. You can't just lock up criminals and forget they exist whilst ignoring the social issues that lead to crime; the cycle of low aspirations, poverty and crime just continues and that doesn't help anyone, not the people in poor communities or the wealthier people who would rather not be mugged or robbed by those poor people.

No it doesn't. Those countries lock them up and keep them locked up for the sentence imposed on them. Over here they get released on a half sentence nine times out of ten with good behaviour. The UK is the only country in Europe where you can get a longer sentence for a football related assault than a rape! that is truly disgusting and shocking. The police and government are far more concerned with meeting targets to make themselves look good than actually dealing with the real issues. Also, Thailand is strict as hell when it comes to drugs so why is it that their reoffending rate for drug convicts is around 20-30% yet in the UK it is more than double that? Its because we are a soft touch. In the US, you commit a murder intentionally you're getting life or the death penalty. In the UK you're getting life and in the majority of cases you'd be out in just over 10 years. Back into the streets ready to snap again and ruin someone elses life. The problem with the system in this country is that they cannot understand that some people just simply cannot be rehabilitated.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Kowa
The healthcare that is available in the US is arguably the best in the world. Access is their only issue, and that affects only a minority (I'm highly dubious that a quarter of children have no coverage).

World Health Organization ranked French healthcare as the first in the world many times and it's accessible from everyone, sometimes for free even for foreigner.
Original post by ajp100688
They gave France a score of 100 for culture. France. That says it all.

Museums are free for everyone under 26 + reduction for theatre, opera and cinema. Never heard about Le Louvres biggest museum in the world ? Paris and France generally has been a cultural centre of Europe for centuries...
Reply 63
How do you measure quality of life? You can't. It is not the same as standard of living. Standard of living involves your wealth and the services you have access to. For example I have a reasonable standard of living but in my opinion a low quality of life. The only way to measure quality of life is to ask people, and a high score might not mean a high quality of life it means that people have a higher tendancy to put 'high' down than other countries
Our climate score should have been alot lower. But I'm probably moving to the states or to another european country after I graduate. I simply can't stand the sh***y weather here.
Reply 65
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x

Dont cry. Are my posts too hard for you to understand? This is a public forum so please do not try and dictate to me how to reply.

No, just obnoxiously laid out in a retarded, confused and badly considered way (much like the other aspects of your posts) so that it takes a long time to reply, and I will tell you to do something if it's me that it affects. This is a public forum, so do take into account the people who have to respond to your incoherant babble.

Well tell me a better system because obviously their seems to be a lot of intelligent Americans getting into the top companies all over the world. Obviously a lot of the population is going to be undereducated because of the sheer amount of people in the USA. Obviously the schools, colleges and universities are not going to be able to cater for all of them. Plus, a lot of Americans, especially in the South, do not even attend schools that are equivalent to the level of those in the North, through choice and nothing else. I also love how you can say the vast majority remain ignorant and apathetic yet you've only been their for one month. I've stayed in Vegas for a year and plan on going back when I graduate.

Sorry you're repeating the same fallacies and bull**** that even a three year old could see through about "Americans getting into top companies". It's lazy and vague, think harder please. The fact of the matter is that in almost everything American kids score lower than kids in Europe. And you went there once and now you stayed there for a year? Strange.

The UK's statistics don't even include rapes, attempted rapes, cautions for drug possessions or crimes such as petty theft and still it was higher than the US in terms of population density. Crime does happen in deprived areas in the US, as it does here, so whats the issue? No its not just black people either. I've seen people in Vegas sleeping down alley ways and they're not only black, there is white people too. Okay, you may have some black dominated areas such as the projects in New York but their neighbourhoods and livelihoods are based on illegal activities. The police do a far better job at tackling those illegal activities than the police here who in some cases are actually scared to go into areas where gang activity is known. It even occurs in South Wales so god knows what its like in Manchester, London and Liverpool.

Yes they do include rapes, they don't include petty theft or drug possessions as violent crimes but neither does the USA. Have you actually looked at the relevent statistics and methodology behind them? I doubt it. The rest of your post is just you prattling on about unrelated or unsubstantiated bull****, completely irrelevent. And you completely misunderstood my point about race and I don't think you are capable of doing so, but to be fair it was poorly explained on my part and a bit of an unrelated tangent, forget I mentioned it.

No it doesn't. Those countries lock them up and keep them locked up for the sentence imposed on them. Over here they get released on a half sentence nine times out of ten with good behaviour. The UK is the only country in Europe where you can get a ! that is truly disgusting and shocking. The police and government are far more concerned with meeting targets to make themselves look good than actually dealing with the real issues. Also, Thailand is strict as hell when it comes to drugs so why is it that their reoffending rate for drug convicts is around 20-30% yet in the UK it is more than double that? Its because we are a soft touch. In the US, you commit a murder intentionally you're getting life or the death penalty. In the UK you're getting life and in the majority of cases you'd be out in just over 10 years. Back into the streets ready to snap again and ruin someone elses life. The problem with the system in this country is that they cannot understand that some people just simply cannot be rehabilitated.

Sorry, you know absolutely nothing. Hardly any of this is true mostly urban myths or just made up, most European countries have a far more progressive criminal justice system than we do. And in the USA a lot of criminals are taken off the street, but there's jsut another generation waiting to take their place, because it doesn't deal real issues and doesn't make anything better in the long term. - also they end up imprisoning a massive proportion of their population (largest in the world), which ends up costing them huge amounts of money.

So what? That reflects the whole of the USA does it? No it really doesn't. CBS is equivalent to the biased media in this country. Stop reading everything you seen in tabloids, especially those from the American media which is extremely biased in its stories.

I cannot get over the extreme irony of this, and I'd rather trust CBS than your rather naive opinions.

I do understand the housing market and American's should be able to cope as they have a better cost of living than here. If a house costs $70,000 then the mortgage is going to be a lot lower than a house here. Then you have to factor in their earnings which are often good compared to their expenditures and the price of food, fuel, etc is cheap. Its all about living within your means, as my auntie has done in the US. She's never had an issue at all and she has a medical condition but as she pays for insurance she's covered. The average annual premium for insurance is $3000 per person or you can get a package for between $6000-7000 for the family, as my auntie has done as she has a young daughter. Plus, you can also get insurance from your employer. $3000 is not much to insure yourself is it when teenagers can pay around £1500-2000 per year to drive in the UK. I'd much rather insure my health. Considering they also get taxed less and the cost of living is cheaper as well, it probably balances out if you spend within your means. The only ones who suffer from it are those who are irresponsible, as I've already stated.

The system in the USA isn't that simplistic at all, very few people pay for it individually, it's usually covered by employers. To be fully covered in the same way you are in the UK you have to be employed by the very top companies; each and every time you visit the doctor - even with insurance - you will be paying something, and the cost is generally inflated massively in a shell game between health insurance companies and medical service providers, while the patients who pay their bills get shafted. The system is based on profit not health. How can you defend something so dishonest and inefficient? That fails large parts of society, and yet still costs the government more than health in any other developed country? It's also incredibly bad for the economy as it puts the companies who provide insurance at a competitive disadvantage as it costs them so much.
(edited 13 years ago)
What a scary place Canada must be.

On the measure of risk and safety it comes below the USA, Japan, New Zealand, Tuvalu (which is only 8ft above sea level), Cyprus (which has a UN peace keeping force) and the Cayman Islands (which was flattened by a hurricane 3 or 4 years ago).
Reply 67
Why do people persist in thinking Britain is a **** hole. We are very lucky to live where we do, in one of the best nations in the world. These lists always go on about Scandinavia but I wouldn't want to live there, its too cold, you get taxed to hell and a pint of beer can be as high as 8 quid.

nulli tertius
What a scary place Canada must be.

Most of Canada is has an arctic climate that can kill a unprepared or even a prepared person quite easily.
Original post by Renner
Why do people persist in thinking Britain is a **** hole. We are very lucky to live where we do, in one of the best nations in the world. These lists always go on about Scandinavia but I wouldn't want to live there, its too cold, you get taxed to hell and a pint of beer can be as high as 8 quid.

Most of Canada is has an arctic climate that can kill a unprepared or even a prepared person quite easily.

I would take that point save that Norway, Switzerland, Andorra and Bhutan are all said to score better for risk and safety.
Original post by TheMeister
How can Austria's climate rank worse than ours?

All those bodies they burned back in the 30s + 40s? :dontknow:

See if that score correlates with those of Germany and Poland :holmes:
Reply 70
Original post by Kowa
The fact that they've got the most roads in the world, the most cell phones per capita, highest number of airports etc.

Our violent crime is worse than the US's, and the health ranking seems accurate as well when you consider that it's based on the number of people per doctor, the number of hospital beds per 1,000 people, the percentage of the population with access to safe water, the infant mortality rate, life expectancy, and public health expenditure as a percentage of a country’s GDP.

Well it would be. The us is massive compared to nations like the UK, has a population around 230 million compared to around 65, and it has the highest percent of it's citizens in prison then any other in the world, oh and it has one of the lowest life expectancies for an MEDC country.
The US does on average have better healthcare than us, it's just there is far greater health inequality.
The list doesn't really seem accurate. How the **** did the U.S. get such a high score? :lolwut:
Reply 73
"Give us your insurance or you die."

"Obesity problem"

Compared with:

"Free at the point of service"

"Want to have sex young man? Feeling frisky young lady?"

"Have a condom and a pill"

The health figures hit me like the clap
It's clearly biased.

US ahead on culture? What culture? They're a very young country, their culture only started developing after the American War of Independence( Or as it was known at the time; Operation: Get rid of the yanks, they never wipe their feet before coming in the house); sure, they were built on philosophy, but they still don't have the CULTURE to back that up. Their identity is only just really beginning to develop now with the rise of capitalism in the 20th century.

I just find it laughable that countries in Europe that are known as being centers of culture ( Greece, Italy ... Switzerland? Dubya tee eff?) are where they belong, but the UK, who has just as much culture is somehow scoring a 78?

Infrastructure + Economy is another laugh. America has been hit just as hard by the banking crisis as us and is actually rising out of the recession slower. It has had to borrow huge amounts of money from China to even keep it's head above water.

The only column I can really agree with is cost of living, but even then, the disparity between the US and the UK is way too high.

Essentially, this reads like an Anglophobic-American has put it together; look at any of the previous commonwealth countries as well. Canada, NZ and Australia all score badly in relation to the US in parts they should be much higher in. Canada's Health Care is supposedly the best in the world, and is based a lot around the NHS and free health care, and yet somehow the US still takes the lead?

Useless, useless website designed to misinform.
Reply 75
Then you have to factor in that a lot of crime in New York is in deprived areas and a lot of crime in Los Angeles is in areas that are gang dominated. The fact is, most of the crime stays within certain zones and gang units police them constantly.

You could argue exactly the same point about any major population centre in the UK.
this is bullsh!t i have to say.

Singapore so low down in the rankings?!
Cost of living 47/100? Hey, we can get a plate of food for a pound(S$2)!
Infrastructure 57/100?! There are buses and trains all over the country!!!
Climate 40/100?! WE HAVE SUMMER ALL YEAR ROUNDDDDD
Original post by Kowa
I've noticed that this ranking didn't make the press, unlike last year's where we came 25th and it was plastered across the tabloids. I don't trust Quality of Life surveys, and would still feel that I live in one of the world's best countries regardless of what it said, but what do you think of the findings?

By the way, when I say we came fourth, I meant according to the final score in the table where several countries achieved the same.

http://www1.internationalliving.com/qofl2011/

I would agree with that. However, at the same time, I bet the British moan the most as well about their lives. I guess that's an indicator that the better your quality of life, the more you expect, so you tend to find more wrong with it than someone whose quality of life is fairly low from the outset.

Just my perception, feel free to disagree!
Reply 78
How is Australia's economy ranking so low, especially compared to the US. Australia didn't even go into recession, it wasn't even really affected by the GFC, and the economy is predicted to go back into surplus in 2012/3, while the US economy is crap. :s-smilie:
Reply 79
Original post by Luceria
Because the list is pure rubbish.

It's really obvious when you see how far down the Scandinavian/Nordic countries are. Insane really :s-smilie:.. Norway is always on top 5 on these lists, and it wasn't greatly affected by the recession. One of the few
countries in Europe with little economic problems.

talk about circular reasoning :facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending