The Student Room Group

Why are Americans so much more religious than Europeans?

Scroll to see replies

Before the USA's conception as a completely independent state, Puritans persecuted for their religious beliefs from various parts of Europe set sail to North America to have a plain and simple life, free of bother and war.

These settlers were very fundamentalist, so their influence would have had at least some effect on the American constitution during its inception. Though the government is entirely secular, though perhaps motivated by religious belief, there has to be some ingraining of Puritan fundamentalism into the culture of America which we see today, even after 200+ years or so.

Europe has been inhabited by humans since time immemorial. It's only recently that there's been some shift towards secularisation because of tiredness of religiously motivated wars and the oppression of the church.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ukr-nffc
very well, makes the mistake even more glaring then?

No, for the purpose of this particular argument the classification was quite appropriate as the religious landscape of said countries was very much affected by the so-called Iron curtain.
As an American, I am rather disgusted by some of the attitudes represented on this thread. America has no history or culture? All Americans are stupid? Please. I wish people from other countries would stop basing America off of what they see on American television shows and what they hear on the news. Just as I wish Americans would take more of an interest in world affairs (there is a general lack of interest, I'll admit that). All countries make caricatures of each other on purpose, but the trick is to realize that they're caricatures.

America is a very religious country on the whole. Most of this has to do with things stated earlier; the Puritans, the quest for religious freedom, the fact that religion is ingrained as having played a major part in the founding of the country. But it's a huge generalization. You'll find scary dedication in the bible belt, but you head to any larger city and you'll find just as many who couldn't care less.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by youdothemath
As an American, I am rather disgusted by some of the attitudes represented on this thread. America has no history or culture? All Americans are stupid? Please. I wish people from other countries would stop basing America off of what they see on American television shows and what they hear on the news. Just as I wish Americans would take more of an interest in world affairs (there is a general lack of interest, I'll admit that). All countries make caricatures of each other on purpose, but the trick is to realize that they're caricatures.

America is a very religious country on the whole. Most of this has to do with things stated earlier; the Puritans, the quest for religious freedom, the fact that religion is ingrained as having played a major part in the founding of the country. But it's a huge generalization. You'll find scary dedication in the bible belt, but you head to any larger city and you'll find just as many who could care less.

They could care less - then who doesn't care. It is couldn't care less - (please listen to david mitchell's explanation (jump to .59))
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
It has to do with the history of the founding of the country. Someone already explained it.

People being silly and saying things like "inbreeding" and "they're stupider" have no idea what they're talking about.

Or they're just being silly. Or both.
Reply 45
I wouldn't say that Americans are more religious. But Europeans are certainly more tolerant, which really minimizes the negative effects of religion.
Original post by LysFromParis
US is not a secular country, there is around five of them in the world and US is not. (France, Turkey, China, North Korea and another one I forget).

It's founding fathers wished it to be secular (separation of church and state). You only think this because of the Senators you see today (mainly Republicans) demanding more Christian-based laws (ie, anti-abortion/homosexuality...).

Turkey is the US's Islamic equivelant. Their State is secular, but their people deeply religious. They are the only developed nation thats population believes in Creationism more than the US population (as in, a larger percentage of the population in Turkey believe in it in comparison to the US).

N.Korea worship their founder, and see his son as his re-incarnation. One short of a trinity, but otherwise yes, secular.
Original post by Alpharius
It's founding fathers wished it to be secular (separation of church and state). You only think this because of the Senators you see today (mainly Republicans) demanding more Christian-based laws (ie, anti-abortion/homosexuality...).

Turkey is the US's Islamic equivelant. Their State is secular, but their people deeply religious. They are the only developed nation thats population believes in Creationism more than the US population (as in, a larger percentage of the population in Turkey believe in it in comparison to the US).

N.Korea worship their founder, and see his son as his re-incarnation. One short of a trinity, but otherwise yes, secular.

I agree with you except that I was just making difference between a secular state and a secularized society. Take UK it's not a secular state but the society is probably as secularized as the French society.
Reply 48
There is simply no way that a nation in which half the population reject evolution has an adequate education system.
Original post by Layabout
There is simply no way that a nation in which half the population reject evolution has an adequate education system.

I'll have to grudgingly say I agree.

Evolution is a major pillar for Biology, a large portion of Science. The only people I know who deny evolution have religious bias. I know many religious scientists, but not one of them disagree with evolution.

It's no secret that the US (in comparison to the other developed nations of the world) are rated very poorly for education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

23rd in science and 30th in maths, for the world superpower is embarrasing, and as its these two topics, it shows a lack of critical thinking skills.

I will not suggest religion is the cause, but as they promote a suspension of thought, criticism and doubt in its teachings, it must have something to do with it (but probably not completly due to it).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 50

There are some parts of America aren't overly religious.

^ That map pretty much summarises the situation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by LysFromParis
US is not a secular country, there is around five of them in the world and US is not. (France, Turkey, China, North Korea and another one I forget).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state - it is. There's far more than 5 secular states.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state - it is. There's far more than 5 secular states.

Depends on the definition, they use a lousy definition. A secular state is a state were no religion is recognized, were religion is considered to be only a private matter. USA and most of the country you show recognize religion at state level. I think my problem come from translation. I was talking about that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laicit%C3%A9 rather than an anglo-saxon point of view.
Original post by A.galloway
They could care less - then who doesn't care. It is couldn't care less - (please listen to david mitchell's explanation (jump to .59))

My apologies. Usually I hate it when people make that mistake too, but it was late at night and I was rather shocked by some of the ignorance on this thread.
Reply 54
Original post by ThePants999
The main problem here is thinking of the US as a single entity. There's a world of difference between Californian cities and rural Alabama.

The US as a whole is very religious, especially for a developed country.

Gallup Poll shows religion is important in the daily lives of 65% of Americans, compared to 26.5% in the UK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance_of_religion_by_country

If you want to look at individual states you will find there is still no single state in the US that is as irreligious as the UK. Religion is important in the daily lives of 57% of people in California, so still a majority. Vermont, which is the least religious state in the US has 42% of its population saying religion is important in their daily lives, which is considerably higher than the 26.5% in the UK.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-01-29-faith-state-survey_N.htm

By the way, it is a big misconception to think California is as liberal as it looks on TV and reality shows.
Reply 55
Original post by Alpharius

Turkey is not exactly a developed nation. It's still quite poor.
Reply 56
Original post by Redkicker
Is it pure coincidence? Or are there actual things that happened in history that made such a big difference between the two societies?

I've heard some people argue that it is because of a 'lack of education' or because Americans are naturally stupid. I don't think that's a valid argument seeing as the majority of the top world universities are located in the US like Harvard, they have a much higher proportion of university graduates compared to the UK and Europe, and especially seeing as they are the most advanced and richest country in the world. I mean you don't get to their position by being stupid. That's why I think the argument made by some that it's a result of lack of education is not really a good argument to make..

So why is it that in the UK Christianity is pretty much irrelevant and barely followed, same goes for most other European countries. But then the total opposite is true in the US?

What actually happened to make them stay so religious, and us to become more secular?

we don't want to go to hell
People came from europe to america in order to be able to practice their religions in freedom.
And balbalablab skipping all the history, strong believers came to america. In america there are loads of different churches, churches are ment as a social place, and there are loads of alternatives, not jsut catholic, protestant and anglican. Basically I think church and the whole society with it is a big social thing etc. and there are so many choices, it plays just a bigger role in america.
The bible belt essentially covers the whole country..
Just because they have good universities doesn't mean all of them attend them :facepalm:. It's much harder for an American to get in university than a Brit or European. And the average european teenager is more 'aware' than an American teenager. Not saying that it's a cause of christianity being so dominant, but yeah.. Probably a culture thing, and tbh a lot of Americans are ignorant. I've been to Arkansas a couple of times and the people were as dumb as I expected them to be.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending