The Student Room Group

girls aspiring to be stay at home girlfriends - why???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeyd85
If I were earning enough to support both of us, I'd be happy to have a stay at home girlfriend. There's nothing quite like coming home to a clean house and food on the table with everything at home sorted out so that in the evening the both of you can relax and appreciate each other.

Aww, this sounds quite sweet :smile:

I'd never considered it like that before.
Reply 41
Original post by Smophy
Your opinion.

I don't see how doing what I enjoy is wasting my youth. It would be a waste to me spending years working when I could be raising a family.

Each to their own.

You think you'll have your own life when you have kids?
They are called WAG's or wannabe WAG's

Too much celeb culture these days.
How the hell could anyone cope with so little independence? :lolwut:

But I guess if both they and their bfs are happy then there's no harm... each to their own.
Though I would be interested to know how these relationships end, like does the girl have to move back in with her parents until she finds a new man? That part of life would suck.
I don't have a problem with it - but it would be really ****ing boring. :lolwut:
Reply 45
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I don't have a problem with it - but it would be really ****ing boring. :lolwut:

Hmmm... I've always wondered why people say this (not as in I disagree with it, I genuinely don't know). Why would it be boring; if you work in a job, you're forced to do something prescribed / fixed from 9-5, and it's almost always something you wouldn't do of your own volition, unless you're a musician / athlete etc. If you don't work, you can do pretty much whatever you want; doesn't necessarily have to be leisure, you can volunteer or study what you want as well. Is it mainly to do with the social aspect of work or the idea of knowing you're earning money?
Reply 46
When I am older and got my degree job, I am happy to work and look after my girlfriend / wife.
I wouldn't want to be a stay at home gf for a few reasons:
First of all, it would make me feel like I'm a loser even though my bf is earning enough money to support both of us I would still feel bad. Thats just how I am. I like to do my own thing like work hard and get the reward of my hard work. Secondly, if the relationship ever break up you may have nothing else left because you wasted your time staying at home instead of living your life out there and build relationship with your friends/family.

Although if I have a baby and my husband decided to make me stay home, I'd be glad to do it because I want to be able to stay with my kids until they are ready to stand up for themselves. I have to make sure my husband earns enough money though, if not I might have to figure something else. Its like the show called *DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES* and some of the characters are stay at home wives and taking care of their kids. Thats how I want it to be if my husband ever want me to stay home with my babies. :h:
Stay at home girlfriend?????--never heard.

Give me a man like that, I dont want to work I dont like working straight up.
Reply 49
Being a 'House Husband' would be immense.

I may have to dedicate the rest of my life to finding a women who'd be cool with it.
Reply 50
Original post by xobeauty
Stay at home girlfriend?????--never heard.

Give me a man like that, I dont want to work I dont like working straight up.

I am here.
Reply 51
Original post by Rant
You think you'll have your own life when you have kids?

No. I think I will not have a minute to myself. I'm not dumb. I have friends who have settled down and had children and they have always been keen on sharing the good and bad bits with me. It doesn't matter to me though. I suppose it depends on what kind of person you are, I enjoy looking after people. Its not like I am going to have children really young. By the time I leave university I will be 25 and I won't be wanting a child till after then.
Reply 52
I'd question how many women will have a bf that have enough money to let her be a stay at home gf, and just do some housework/shopping. But if she's found a man, why not? I mean if for whatever reason, I stumbled upon 100 million dollars, but let's say I could only use the interest from it, I'd still get a uni degree. Education is more than just the direct uses, but rather it can fulfill whatever curiosities you have (although granted I wouldn't be doing the course I'm doing right now)
Reply 53
Original post by n1r4v
Hmmm... I've always wondered why people say this (not as in I disagree with it, I genuinely don't know). Why would it be boring; if you work in a job, you're forced to do something prescribed / fixed from 9-5, and it's almost always something you wouldn't do of your own volition, unless you're a musician / athlete etc. If you don't work, you can do pretty much whatever you want; doesn't necessarily have to be leisure, you can volunteer or study what you want as well. Is it mainly to do with the social aspect of work or the idea of knowing you're earning money?

I have to say I think this makes all the difference. I would never want to just stay at home and do nothing. I would want to do all the house work and the boring stuff like that but as well I would practice my hobbies and volunteer. I think that if you did just stay at home on your own day in day out it would be rather depressing and you would ultimately feel useless.
Reply 54
Original post by Smophy
I have to say I think this makes all the difference. I would never want to just stay at home and do nothing. I would want to do all the house work and the boring stuff like that but as well I would practice my hobbies and volunteer. I think that if you did just stay at home on your own day in day out it would be rather depressing and you would ultimately feel useless.

I always imagined that by being a "home girlfriend" if there is such a thing, you'd spend a decent portion of your day doing whatever you like, i.e. your hobbies. I doubt they could spend very long doing nothing.
Reply 55
Original post by Smophy

Hmmm, maybe this is just a phase, but I could definitely see myself not working all my life ("staying at home", but not necessarily being stuck in the house all day). There is so much stuff I want to learn, do and experience in life that I don't think I could fit it all in when over 2/3 of my day is taken up by work. And I wouldn't just sit around in the house all day; I'd learn and read about stuff I wasn't able to at university, learn languages etc. etc.
It's because they are simple minded and lazy.
Reply 57
Original post by shinytoy

and i dont understand why guys like/dont mind it?

Why would I mind it? I come from an East Asian background.....okay that's not strictly true since only my mother is Chinese and I spent enough time in those countries. It's generally a status symbol to be able to afford a stay-at-home gf/wife in most of East Asia. It becomes a bigger status symbol if I could also afford maids for her as well as a chauffeur and governess :tongue:

Always wanted one, but all previous partners had their careers or ambition to be in certain careers.

Then I met a certain Welsh girl while doing my 2nd degree..... first thing that got me hooked? I gave her the car key and she started driving me around.... happened after a few months of meeting her.

Then after moving to London, I had her come over, first on the pretext that it would be easier for her to get work since she desperately needed a summer job. Long story short, she then became a stay-at-home gf :biggrin:

What does she do?

She sends me to work on most days because I can't be bothered to drive myself, and I find it beyond me to go on public transport. She does it because it's a sure thing to make sure I'm home straight after work.

She buys my clothes, does my laundry and ironing..... mostly started because I used to send it to this Chinese owned laundry, used to like to go there to flirt with the cute Chinese girl that operated it..... She didn't like it, so she does my laundry now so I won't have the chance to flirt with her :tongue:

She prepares every meal... including my packed lunch on days I need it or she will make sure at lunch time she is around to bring me somewhere for lunch....... why she does this? Simply because she doesn't want me eating with other chicks :tongue: or spending money.

I never need to go to a supermarket or market to buy food or treats, she does it all for me....... simply because it means she is in control and it also means I'm not going shopping with some overseas chick :tongue:

These days she manages all my property investments, I was going to hire one cute Korean chick to do it.... she threw a fuss and insisted I let her do it instead.....told her fine...... she been doing it since.

No complaints, I somewhat feel the need to have a "manager" in my life and she feels the need that she must be in control and possessive at all times. Works quite well... now we are married and I am more than happy to have her be in charge..........for as long as I'm the one making the money :tongue:
Reply 58
Original post by Iorek
Why would I mind it? I come from an East Asian background.....okay that's not strictly true since only my mother is Chinese and I spent enough time in those countries. It's generally a status symbol to be able to afford a stay-at-home gf/wife in most of East Asia. It becomes a bigger status symbol if I could also afford maids for her as well as a chauffeur and governess :tongue:

Always wanted one, but all previous partners had their careers or ambition to be in certain careers.

Then I met a certain Welsh girl while doing my 2nd degree..... first thing that got me hooked? I gave her the car key and she started driving me around.... happened after a few months of meeting her.

Then after moving to London, I had her come over, first on the pretext that it would be easier for her to get work since she desperately needed a summer job. Long story short, she then became a stay-at-home gf :biggrin:

What does she do?

She sends me to work on most days because I can't be bothered to drive myself, and I find it beyond me to go on public transport. She does it because it's a sure thing to make sure I'm home straight after work.

She buys my clothes, does my laundry and ironing..... mostly started because I used to send it to this Chinese owned laundry, used to like to go there to flirt with the cute Chinese girl that operated it..... She didn't like it, so she does my laundry now so I won't have the chance to flirt with her :tongue:

She prepares every meal... including my packed lunch on days I need it or she will make sure at lunch time she is around to bring me somewhere for lunch....... why she does this? Simply because she doesn't want me eating with other chicks :tongue: or spending money.

I never need to go to a supermarket or market to buy food or treats, she does it all for me....... simply because it means she is in control and it also means I'm not going shopping with some overseas chick :tongue:

These days she manages all my property investments, I was going to hire one cute Korean chick to do it.... she threw a fuss and insisted I let her do it instead.....told her fine...... she been doing it since.

No complaints, I somewhat feel the need to have a "manager" in my life and she feels the need that she must be in control and possessive at all times. Works quite well... now we are married and I am more than happy to have her be in charge..........for as long as I'm the one making the money :tongue:

And after all that she'll probably bang a Welsh lad while you're at work :colondollar:
Reply 59
I wouldn't say no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending