The Student Room Group

More Rejections than Offers? Advice and Support *Here*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roo88
Does anyone know if you have been notified by UCAS that your application has been 'Unsuccessful' do you think you can appeal to the University without having to just wait to go through clearing?

I only applied to Coventry to study OT as I am at uni now in London (doing a different course) but I do not like it here or my course. I already ahve all the grades they need but today I just found out that my application was unsuccessful :frown: I really do not know what to do...

I really wanted this and it was my only choice...

First step would be contacting Coventry to ask why your application was unsuccessful.
Reply 41
Original post by TheSownRose
First step would be contacting Coventry to ask why your application was unsuccessful.

Done. Im just inpatient and a worrier....I guess it doesnt help that its the weekend and will have to wait until at leat Monday to get a response...just wondered if there might be any chance at all....
Reply 42
Original post by Roo88
Done. Im just inpatient and a worrier....I guess it doesnt help that its the weekend and will have to wait until at leat Monday to get a response...just wondered if there might be any chance at all....
There's nothing to stop you having a conversation with them about whether they will reconsider you, but it's going to depend very much on the reasons why they turned you down, and what the general level of competition is.
Reply 43
Original post by Minerva
Asking the unis to consider me for alternative courses
In some cases it is possible to ask a uni that has rejected you for one course to consider you for an alternative. As this means you don't have to go through Extra it is worth a try if the alternative course is still accepting applications. Contact the uni and talk to them about the possibility. You may find that they already considered you for the alternative and decided against making you an offer - and this is useful to know, in the event that that course turns up in Extra (see below). If the uni is willing to consider you for the alternative, they can revise both the course code and decision; any changes will show up on Track in due course.

What a helpful thread, especially when I'm really not sure what to do next year. Am a medical re-applicant reject. Grades are:
A* Maths A2
A Biology A2
A Chemistry A2
A History AS

This advice you gave is something I'm currently thinking about doing right now, however I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. So should i just call up the universities (Nottingham, Manchester, Bristol, Peninsula) that have rejected me and see whether they can provide me with an alternative course?

1) Who do I call? (which department)
2) What courses do you reckon I can ask for? (anything that I have the minimum requirements for, like if I was considering changing to do maths?)
3) General advice about calling up universities - I don't particularly like doing this.

:confused::frown:
Reply 44
Original post by wxu2
What a helpful thread, especially when I'm really not sure what to do next year. Am a medical re-applicant reject. Grades are:
A* Maths A2
A Biology A2
A Chemistry A2
A History AS

This advice you gave is something I'm currently thinking about doing right now, however I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. So should i just call up the universities (Nottingham, Manchester, Bristol, Peninsula) that have rejected me and see whether they can provide me with an alternative course?

1) Who do I call? (which department)
2) What courses do you reckon I can ask for? (anything that I have the minimum requirements for, like if I was considering changing to do maths?)
3) General advice about calling up universities - I don't particularly like doing this.

:confused::frown:
First of all, you need to have a definite alternative in mind, and to have checked its status on UCAS. Then you'd need to contact Admissions to find out whether the uni is still considering applications for the course in question. If they are, you need to explain your position. Remember though that they can just say 'wait until Clearing' - this may be more likely because you are a Medicine applicant. What was your fifth choice, and what was the decision? If you have an offer, why are you considering looking elsewhere? If you don't, you should just go through Extra, as you are most unlikely to persuade more than one uni to reconsider you anyway.

As a Medicine applicant, you are most likely to be able to persuade a uni to consider you for related courses such as biomedical sciences. Ask to speak to the admissions tutor for the specific course. Be ready to explain why you want to do the course you are asking them to consider you for.

Bear in mind that I am not suggesting that this approach works in every case; it's just that it is a possibility and has been known to work for some people.
Reply 45
I contacted them and they said their decision was based on 'poor performance on the group task' (it was a group interview) They said I met all of the entry requirements already (qualifications and experience) but it was down to the interview!
:frown:

I have wrote a letter to appeal to this as I have tried to explain that not everyone does well at interviews and I dont think they should base they entire decision on this but to be honest...as I know the course is quite competitive then I doubt It will be taken any further but I guess I can try and hope...

I do believe that it is unfair though as it was a group interview and I think it entirely depends on the day and who you are placed with in the group as to if you stand out or not...so thats why I have appealed...

In your opinion do you believe I have a case or do you think Im just clutching straws?! I really do hope they consider it again....:frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Roo88
I contacted them and they said their decision was based on 'poor performance on the group task' (it was a group interview) They said I met all of the entry requirements already (qualifications and experience) but it was down to the interview!
:frown:

I have wrote a letter to appeal to this as I have tried to explain that not everyone does well at interviews and I dont think they should base they entire decision on this but to be honest...as I know the course is quite competitive then I doubt It will be taken any further but I guess I can try and hope...

I do believe that it is unfair though as it was a group interview and I think it entirely depends on the day and who you are placed with in the group as to if you stand out or not...so thats why I have appealed...

In your opinion do you believe I have a case or do you think Im just clutching straws?! I really do hope they consider it again....:frown:
In which case I'm afraid that the interview may well be what they use to distinguish between applicants - as in you only get that far if you meet all other requirements. There's no harm in trying, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope that they'll reconsider their decision. In that case, if this is really the only course you want to do, you have the option of re-applying next year with the experience of this year's interview behind you.
Reply 47
Original post by Roo88
Does anyone know if you have been notified by UCAS that your application has been 'Unsuccessful' do you think you can appeal to the University without having to just wait to go through clearing?

I only applied to Coventry to study OT as I am at uni now in London (doing a different course) but I do not like it here or my course. I already ahve all the grades they need but today I just found out that my application was unsuccessful :frown: I really do not know what to do...

I really wanted this and it was my only choice...

You can try, absolutely. Phone, or even better, go in person. It's by no means going to or even likely to work, but people have got in like that.
Reply 48
Original post by Minerva
In which case I'm afraid that the interview may well be what they use to distinguish between applicants - as in you only get that far if you meet all other requirements. There's no harm in trying, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope that they'll reconsider their decision. In that case, if this is really the only course you want to do, you have the option of re-applying next year with the experience of this year's interview behind you.

Thats what my dad said to me... :frown: Yeah I wont get my hopes up but I thought I would at least try...
Its posted now anyway so will see.

Yeah I could try again next year but I still havent decided whether to carry on with my current course at uni as I would be taking a big risk if I drop out now as I wouldnt be able to afford to come back when the fees go up so am so confused! I was only going to drop out if I cold get a place on the other course but now I am not so confident...

Thanks for your feedback anyway :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by KingMessi
University: University of Bristol
Course: English Literature
Date Application sent: 14th October 2010
Decision: Rejection
Your reaction: :woo: My success astounds me...five rejections. :frown: :cry2:

:frown: How can anyone with 96% and 100% in As get 5 rejections? :eek::mad:
Original post by eve_bg

1) English is very competitive especially at 5 of the top unis for the subject (as Messi applied to)
2) Subject choice may not be appropriate, having a mini debate about this in the English lit sub forum
3) Personal Statement may not be great- a teachers idea of a good PS and a unis idea of it isnt always the same thing
Reply 51
Original post by eve_bg

Also you don't send UMS scores to unis, only letter grades. The unis wouldn't know.
Original post by eve_bg

Meh. My Personal Statement was awful in my opinion.

Although, that's easy to say in retrospect.
Original post by jelly1000
1) English is very competitive especially at 5 of the top unis for the subject (as Messi applied to)
2) Subject choice may not be appropriate, having a mini debate about this in the English lit sub forum
3) Personal Statement may not be great- a teachers idea of a good PS and a unis idea of it isnt always the same thing

I agree. My personal statement was awful in retrospect, I think namely because I decided to apply for English Literature at some unis, and Creative Writing at others, which made my statement a bit...awkward.

Not to deprecate your argument, but my admissions tutor said that my subject choice wasn't a problem...I guess only the universities know...
Original post by Muffinz
Also you don't send UMS scores to unis, only letter grades. The unis wouldn't know.

But they were put on my reference....surely the unis read my reference???? :confused:
I agree. My personal statement was awful in retrospect, I think namely because I decided to apply for English Literature at some unis, and Creative Writing at others, which made my statement a bit...awkward.

Not to deprecate your argument, but my admissions tutor said that my subject choice wasn't a problem...I guess only the universities know...

Admissions tutor at uni or at college? Because tbh from what I've picked up in 4 years on this site is that a lot of college teachers don't really know much about the admissions process or give the wrong advice. Also it is possible to apply for both English Lit & English lit & creative writing successfully, as some people have on here.

I posted some advice in the English lit applicants forum, namely getting your PS reviewed by the PS helpers and maybe even an English teacher at college if you can grab them.
Original post by jelly1000
Admissions tutor at uni or at college? Because tbh from what I've picked up in 4 years on this site is that a lot of college teachers don't really know much about the admissions process or give the wrong advice. Also it is possible to apply for both English Lit & English lit & creative writing successfully, as some people have on here.

I posted some advice in the English lit applicants forum, namely getting your PS reviewed by the PS helpers and maybe even an English teacher at college if you can grab them.

At 6th form. And I do think re-doing my PS, with multiple opinions would be a good idea. I only really showed mine to my Oxbridge admissions tutor, which in retrospect was silly....
At 6th form. And I do think re-doing my PS, with multiple opinions would be a good idea. I only really showed mine to my Oxbridge admissions tutor, which in retrospect was silly....

It need to be looked at by as many people as possible, as one persons definition of good isn't anothers. The one I sent off this year (I'm a reapplicant) was a revised version of last years, and in the two years I had 7 people look at it and give feedback. And I got 5 offers both years.
Reply 58
But they were put on my reference....surely the unis read my reference???? :confused:

Are they sure they were in your reference? Did you read it?
Reply 59
Meh. My Personal Statement was awful in my opinion.

Although, that's easy to say in retrospect.
Hi - really sorry to read that this has happened to you. I've moved this discussion into the 'more rejections than offers thread' because I hope the first post - if you haven't already seen it - will be helpful to you.

I think the most likely problem in your case is your Personal Statement. If you are going to apply through Extra (and you certainly should consider it) it would be worth sorting that out before you do.

Quick Reply